PDA

View Full Version : Under 18 State Junior Developement Squad 08-09

Simmo
21-06-2008, 01:54 PM
Congratulations to the following bowlers who made the squad.
Daniel BAKER (Kerang) (Age 17)
Chris BALL (Altona) (16)
Winston BRACKLEY (Drysdale) (15)
Jerome COLES (North Balwyn) (14)
Nathan COLLIER (Tatura) (15)
Sheldon DEVLIN (Geelong West) (13)
Dylan FISHER (Clayton) (14)
Matthew HIGGINS (Sale) (15)
Stuart HUDDLE (Cranbourne) (17)
Rhys JEFFS (Drysdale) (16)
Ben McARTHUR (Webbcona) (15)
Dane McKINNON (Werribee RSL) (14)
Nathan MURRAY (City of Melb.) (16)
Mathew O'BRIEN (Yarra Glen) (13)
Ashley O'CONNOR (Footscray Park) (15)
Ethan PELL (Croydon) (13)
Mathew RENNEX (Moonee Valley) (16)
Patrick ROWE (Trentham) (13)
Ben SIMMONS (Marysville) (17)
Brandon TYERS (Coomealla) (15)
Steven VELICKI (Lalor) (15)
Tom VERNON (Swan Hill Golf) (14)
Chris WATT (Keilor) (14)
Aaron WILSON (Bendigo) (16)
Aaron WOOD (Webbcona) (15)

gavin holburn
21-06-2008, 05:41 PM
What is the structure for junior Vic squads? What do they do in terms of training/coaching? How often? I assume there is a squad above this? How many players in that? How/when do they select for Aust C'ships?

A lot of q's I know, sorry. Perhaps you could just tell us everything you know??? :lol:

bowlers wife
22-06-2008, 08:40 AM
This is victoria 2008-2009 state developent squad. This means that these are the best 25 kids in the state. They were selected from nomination from there group and then 3 demonstartion days were they were able to showcase there talents in front of the state selectors.

This squad is together for the next 12 months and all Junior national and interstate teams will be selected from these kids.

They have many training and development days together and of course state trials. There are state trials for just about all interestate tests individually and also of course the junior nationals in september this year.

There are alot of new names in the squad this year with alot of young talent coming through. Which is exciting for junior bowls in Victoria.

Congrats to all the kids in the squad and for those who trialed as well. It was great to see so many new faces.

Go Vics 2008 - 2009 !

Perko
22-06-2008, 10:47 AM
Well done to all that made the squad :cool:
Good to see Matt Rennex in there again
Chris Watt new to the squad and predict he will be around for awhile

Robbo
22-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Congrats to Sheldon Devlin from Geelong West gettting in. Played a lot with Shelly & at 13 he's going to be a great player.

sauce
22-06-2008, 02:25 PM
What is the structure for junior Vic squads? What do they do in terms of training/coaching? How often? I assume there is a squad above this? How many players in that? How/when do they select for Aust C'ships?

A lot of q's I know, sorry. Perhaps you could just tell us everything you know??? :lol:

The squad above this is the under 25 "development" squad. Meet once a year for trial over a weekend well before the season has started.

damienj
22-06-2008, 03:27 PM
Under 25 or Under 18 squad??? Are there no quality bowlers in our state between 18 and 24? i could name a few......

damienj
22-06-2008, 03:30 PM
This is victoria 2008-2009 state developent squad. This means that these are the best 25 kids in the state. They were selected from nomination from there group and then 3 demonstartion days were they were able to showcase there talents in front of the state selectors.

This squad is together for the next 12 months and all Junior national and interstate teams will be selected form these kids.

They have many training and development days together and of course state trials. There are state trials for just about all interestate tests individually and also of course the junior nationals in september this year.

There are alot of new names in the squad this year with alot of young talent coming through. Which is exciting for junior bowls in Victoria.

Congrats to all the kids in the squad and for those who trialed as well. It was great to see so many new faces.

Go Vics 2008 - 2009 !

Bowlers wife, wondering if u could answer a question for me?? you said that players were nominated from their group then selected after a few trials...

I belong in group 13 and am not at all surprised that no one from group 13 made the squad....but do you know if there were group 13 rep's at the trial days....????

thanks.

22-06-2008, 03:59 PM

This squad is together for the next 12 months and all Junior national and interstate teams will be selected form these kids.

Go Vics 2008 - 2009 !

Bowlers wife, wondering if u could answer a question for me?? you said that players were nominated from their group then selected after a few trials...

I belong in group 13 and am not at all surprised that no one from group 13 made the squad....but do you know if there were group 13 rep's at the trial days....????

thanks.
Damien, There were 2 promising young blokes from Group 13 that trialled. Neither made it, but both have been given some feedback on what they need to improve upon for next time

bowlers wife
22-06-2008, 05:48 PM
Damien,

I think michael answered your question beautifully. The current process is a great way for such kids to be seen and develope with some valuable feedback.

I know when Dylan was selected 2 years ago the process was alot different and it was very hard to be seen and selected. He was fortunate cos he had won a couple of club championships but unles some of these kids had done that , it was tough.

The under 18 development squads within the groups are running beautifully and have some very dedicated volunteers running them. They are giving the kids a fair dinkum crack at making state selection. I know when Todd started he said there were 150 juniors registered in vic and now i believe we are close to 1000 kids registered here in our great state.
Definately something to get excited about.

The RVBA junior commitee are doing some very valuable work with these kids. I know we all have things to winge about with the RVBA but i must take my hat off to them. They are trying. The development squad had some valuable team building and motivational lectures last year too. Todd also spoke to them about what it takes to play for Oz. The feedback from these days were great.

A wider selection of kids are being looked at and given a go. So if anyone has a chance to get involved in these junior group squads and can offer some assistance please do. The kids love it !

I was truely touched at a group session at cranbourne when i witnessed a young man with calipers on his legs . He was having a ball. He was even chasing his bowls. Why the hell not i say :) Probably the only chance at playing rep sport the young man had had.

Its a process that truely is working.

Cheers Guys !

swoosha
23-06-2008, 10:29 PM
When do they announce the under 40's squad. :neutral:

backhand_smack
24-06-2008, 09:49 AM
Its just like every other squad or rep side. There will be critics and knockers, people saying i no this bloke he should be in before him all that shit.
But its simple there are a lot of talented juniors out there and i personally no of about ten others that could join that squad but there has to be a cut off line somewhere for numbers.
The positive thing is that these young boys or girls that have missed out just stick at it and one day there chance will come.
I no of some juniors in the past that have only made the junior state side when they were 17. They may have had only one opportunity to play a series and then were too old. I dont think it matters if you play 1 game for your state or 100 games just to have that honour in itself is a huge achievment.
The majority of these kids in the squad are 15 and under so it is fair to say time is on there hands.