PDA

View Full Version : NSW State Junior Championships

M
30-06-2008, 04:38 PM
Just two weeks away.
Who is the favourite in the singles? Surely Jesse has one hand on the cup?
Sam Twining has been playing some very good bowls. Kenta Treacher is a year older and year wiser. Maybe there will be a bolter.
Keep an eye on the RNSWBA website for all the latest results.
Good luck to you all.
New Development Officer Chris Macauley and I will be down to watch on the first day.

gavin holburn
30-06-2008, 05:27 PM
Jesse should certainly be hard to beat on his home greens. I think Alex Cross Lee's form could make him a bolter and his game against Sam Twining should be a beauty in sectional play. I have also been impressed with young Daniel from Nambucca - great attitude and temperment and would love to see him do well.

I'll tip the Ballina boys in the Pairs and cannot go against Zone 10 in the fours or they (Louren especially) will kill me. (Selectors should keep an eye on Ben Swain, he is a great talent who should have been playing 1's at Merrylands this year at age 15. Zone 10 Championships were held under water with scuba gear, and this definitely had an effect on some of the results).However, the other finalist will be the local side.

M
03-07-2008, 07:17 PM
Change of plans, Development Officer Chris Macauley will be down there on the first day of play, monday, The rest of the team will down there on Wednesday for the first day of the fours competition. Mark Whiteman, Chris Macauley and I are all keen to see the talent on display and talk with any of the Junior bowlers about anything that they would like to discuss with us. We are all ears guys!!!!!

gavin holburn
09-07-2008, 04:43 PM
I have to retract what I said about Alex Cross Lee. He dislocated/broke his arm last week and is in a cast. He says he earnt his spot and doesn't want anyone to have a bye, so he has been practicing left-handed. I am afraid I can't tip him playing left-handed :oops: But I wish him the best of luck and really admire his attitude to the event.

gavin holburn
16-07-2008, 07:40 AM
I have to retract what I said about Alex Cross Lee. He dislocated/broke his arm last week and is in a cast. He says he earnt his spot and doesn't want anyone to have a bye, so he has been practicing left-handed. I am afraid I can't tip him playing left-handed :oops: But I wish him the best of luck and really admire his attitude to the event.

Well, Alex went on and competed left-handed. He didn't win any games but he really pushed the eventual State Champ, taking 14 shots. Gutsy effort I reckon.

16-07-2008, 08:35 AM
[quote="gavin holburn":27nifgf6]I have to retract what I said about Alex Cross Lee. He dislocated/broke his arm last week and is in a cast. He says he earnt his spot and doesn't want anyone to have a bye, so he has been practicing left-handed. I am afraid I can't tip him playing left-handed :oops: But I wish him the best of luck and really admire his attitude to the event.

Well, Alex went on and competed left-handed. He didn't win any games but he really pushed the eventual State Champ, taking 14 shots. Gutsy effort I reckon.[/quote:27nifgf6]
That shows true character. Well done to Alex ;)

Chalks1971
16-07-2008, 10:47 AM
Maitland City BC’s Sam Twining laid claim to being the top Under 18 bowler in NSW when he won the 2008 NSW State Junior Singles title at Warilla BC on 15 July.

Twining took the title by beating his fellow NSW Under 18 Representative and good mate Matt McIntyre 31-19 in what would be the most friendly decider of a State Title ever played.

Despite the friendly atmosphere of the game the competitive spirit was very much alive, and neither player gave any easy shots to their opponent.

The game began as an even contest, until Twining played some spectacular conversion shots to open a lead. McIntyre fought to the end of the game, continually drawing excellent shots only to see Twining play an outstanding bowl to take the end.

Twining’s path to the final included 3 comfortable section wins and a spectacular fight back in his semi final win over 2007 Champion Jesse Noronha. After trailing by 10 shots early in the match, Twining found spectacular form to surge to a 31-19 victory.

McIntyre reached the semi final after comfortably winning both of his sectional matches (his section included a bye) and then progressed to the final after a tough 31-28 semi final win over Yamba’s Jamie Eichorn.

Noronha won his section with 3 wins, while Eichorn progressed on superior margin, after he and Kenta Treacher (North Sydney) finished on 2 wins each in their section.

http://www.rnswba.org.au/RNSWBA/jsp/c_p ... mentID=264 (http://www.rnswba.org.au/RNSWBA/jsp/c_press-release-item.jsp?elementID=264)

Whats the go with Zone 11, arent there any kids playing in central(ish) Sydney?

trundler
16-07-2008, 02:09 PM
NO

Zone 11 has no entry in the State Junior Championships.

Zone 11 has no side in the U18 Inter-Zone (7-A-Side)

Chalks1971
16-07-2008, 02:27 PM
NO

Zone 11 has no entry in the State Junior Championships.

Zone 11 has no side in the U18 Inter-Zone (7-A-Side)

But do they have any juniors registered?

Gone Bowling
16-07-2008, 05:27 PM
Been watching some great bowls at the Warilla Club in the Junior Fours.
tiff dwarf greens running 16sec.

Semi Finals ..Zone 16, players from Warilla Vs Zone 6 ,Maitland/Cessnock

Zone 1,Ballina/Lismore Vs Zone 10 Merrylands/Wentworthville.
Semi Finals start 9am Thursday 17th

trundler
17-07-2008, 11:02 AM
There are some registered junior bowlers in Zone 11 clubs.

Whether these are active in bowling is another question.

Advice from Zone 11 was that there were no entires in their U18 Championships, and that they would not be able to field a side in the 7-A-Side.

There are Zone 11 Officials who recognise that they have a lack of U18 bowlers within the Zone and are moving towards developing startegies to address this.

Chalks1971
17-07-2008, 11:07 AM
There are some registered junior bowlers in Zone 11 clubs.

Whether these are active in bowling is another question.

Advice from Zone 11 was that there were no entires in their U18 Championships, and that they would not be able to field a side in the 7-A-Side.

There are Zone 11 Officials who recognise that they have a lack of U18 bowlers within the Zone and are moving towards developing startegies to address this.

Good to hear, thanks mate.

trundler
17-07-2008, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the post of the story of the Finals, Chalks1971.

Always flattering to see something you've written put in, verbatim (even happens in the newspapers!)

I think its great that you shared this with the forumites, before I got the chance!

Was on hand to witness the final, was fantastic to see two young ambassadors for our sport enjoying the game, even to the point of joking with each other.

At one stage Matt was holding three good shots, Sam was lloking at the head and wondering what to play and said to Matt "What should I play" -

Matt of course just smiled.

He should have told Sam to stay away from the head, because Sam drew a glorious bowl within a few cm to take the shot.

I have to say that I admire the way these two approached the game.

They both wanted to be the Champion, but both were positive, upbeat and congratulated each other on their good bowls (and there were plenty of those).

Matt did play very well, it was just that Sam played some terrific shots when it counted and got the results he wanted.

Chalks1971
17-07-2008, 11:18 AM
Matts a good, level headed young kid. He got a couple of games at skip in the Premier League, and would be a good chance of a Zone skips job when the teams are selected next weekend.

He's liitle brothers pretty handy too!

Chalks1971
17-07-2008, 12:53 PM
What happened this morning Neil?

gavin holburn
17-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Don't know other semi result but Zone 1 d Zone 10. Zone 10 trailed 3-20 and got back to 16-20 with 4 to go but then dropped a 5.

gavin holburn
17-07-2008, 04:30 PM
Latest update sees Sam Twinings Zone 6 leading Zone 1 20-17 with an end to go.

gavin holburn
17-07-2008, 04:37 PM
A single shot to Zone 1 on the last.
Sam Twining wins his second State Title this week.

Gone Bowling
17-07-2008, 05:21 PM
Semi Finals
Zone 6.. 22 def Zone 16..14
Zone 1..25 def Zone10..15

Final
Zone 6..21 def Zone 1..17
Great bowls played by all the players, Sam Twining has been outstanding
taking out the Fours and Singles.
Pairs commence tomorrow 18th at 9am.

M
17-07-2008, 05:55 PM
he wont get the treble because he is not playing in the pairs. great to see that result he is a really good young kid, Clay Parker has been a bit of a help i think this year.
Here is a bit of trivia.
The last person to win the singles one year and then get knocked out the next year in the semi-final was none other than current CEO Greg Helm...