PDA

View Full Version : Do You Think The Author Has This All Down Pat?

02-09-2008, 01:37 AM
Read these tips, do you agree or not?

If not, which ones?

Applauding Opposition Bowls has always been a debatable discussion ;)

I'll disclose the Author later ;)

Tactics and the Game of Bowls for Competition & Pennant Players.

1. At least 60% of games are won on clear thinking with successful tactics.

2. Remember that you approach the game with the same lines as you would if you were conducting your own business.

3. Bowls is a business, your own business plus the Club you represent, therefore do no divulge your tactics with the opposition.

4. Watch for players who are inclined to favour one hand.

5. That then is the time to force them onto the other hand, but only under instructions from your Skipper.

6. In most cases, your opposition is only as strong as you allow them to be.

7. At all times never applaud the opposition bowls, as then the thought may creep into their mind that they are too good for you.

8. Giving too much praise to your opponents during a game can weaken your determination.

9. If warranted, then by all means give credit after the game.

10. Never turn your back on a bad bowl.

11. Forget the bad bowls as they are history.

12. In most cases a bad bowl is lack of concentration.

13. When a good bowl is played by the opposition, remember that there will be another one better, so therefore make it yours.

14. When not holding a shot, always endeavour to draw the second shot.

15. Winning bowls is all about playing the percentage shot.

16. Remember, there are times to take a risk.

17. There are of course times not to take a risk.

18. At all times try and keep the opposition bowls covered in case the jack is moved.

19. Avoid being short when the shot is against you, as the best ammunition you can have is a bowl through the head.

20. Never drive if you only have one bowl in the head, as the odds are against you.

21. It is important that the Leader roll the jack to where the Skipper requires it, as a bad length can sometimes allow the opposition to come back into the game.

22. The Skipper must at all times consider the overall score and the number of ends played, plus the overall position.

23. If the Leader can draw his two bowls near the jack, he therefore makes a positive contribution for his team, plus building the confidence of his other team members.

24. On a draw shot, remember you always take the same line whether it be either a short or long end.

25. Never approach the mat with a particular shot in mind.

26. At all times await the instructions from your Skipper.

27. Always remember, that no bowl is ever in the draw if you take the right grass.

28. If you cannot see the shot asked for, than ask the Skipper for permission to examine the head.

29. In many cases the head reads differently from the opposite end.

30. At all times use the mat if you have to play underneath or around a short bowl.

31. Marginal wins are not accepted as a threat in the games ahead.

32. Big wins in many cases are frightening to the opposition.

33. In the event of a close measure, always declare as to what you think and then let the opposition measure.

34. Never declare the shots you are holding, until the next opposition bowl has come to rest.

35. Encourage your own team members at all times.

36. Never degrade your own team members on or off the green.

37. Dedicate yourself at all times to concentrate on play within your own rink, by encouraging your own team members.

38. Remember that 72% of draw bowls finish across the head line, so therefore it is necessary to take green at all times.

39. It is far better to be a foot wide than a foot narrow.

Wide bowls nearly always fall towards the centre line, narrow bowls fall away.

40. From time to time we can all do with some advice on improving our bowls performance.

41. If Your Club has accredited National Coaches appointed they should be only too pleased to assist you at any given time, so by all means use them. Treat warily advice from others

42. No matter how well we play the game, we can all still improve.

43. Remember that when selected in a Pennant Team, you represent your Club and fellow team members.

44. A good bowlers performance is based simply from

Dedication - Concentration – Determination

plus

the will to win at all times.

For Pennant Players
Percentage of Bowls expected from the following

Positions

Leader - 50%

Second - 45%

Third - 40%

Skipper - 33%

dave
02-09-2008, 07:20 AM
Great comments ..... too many bowlers do not think like this ... and these are the thoughts of a winner, either at game level or coaching level.

Trentan
02-09-2008, 09:13 AM
Is that Macca Jensen (My old coach at Penrith?)

02-09-2008, 09:18 AM
Is that Macca Jensen (My old coach at Penrith?)
Nope Trentan, this is Maccas site ;)
http://performancelawnbowls.com/index.p ... otivation/ (http://performancelawnbowls.com/index.php/behaviour/game-motivation/)

A lot of good tips on there as well. :cool:

Trentan
02-09-2008, 09:20 AM
He knows his stuff, awesome coach...

Funnily enough he has never put down a bowl in his life!

Commie
02-09-2008, 09:47 AM
There's more rubbish among those 44 points than in an industrial-size dumpster. The stuff about opponents is utter nonsense.

8. Giving too much praise to your opponents during a game can weaken your determination.

Does anyone agree with that shite?

41. If Your Club has accredited National Coaches appointed they should be only too pleased to assist you at any given time, so by all means use them. Treat warily advice from others

So this means only those who decided to waste a big portion of their life to get accreditation are the only ones with information to pass on. What a crock.

02-09-2008, 09:56 AM
If you mean points 678&9 I actually agree with him on those.

I'll acknowledge a real good bowl, especially one that was say a nominated shot, but I wont do what I have seen others do, actually clap every good bowl the opposing team puts in, and hardly encourage your own team who are not playing well :neutral:

Sure there are friends to be made playing the game, but do that later, youre there to win, not boost the oppositions ego.

Commie
02-09-2008, 10:10 AM

I'll acknowledge a real good bowl, especially one that was say a nominated shot, but I wont do what I have seen others do, actually clap every good bowl the opposing team puts in, and hardly encourage your own team who are not playing well :neutral:

Sure there are friends to be made playing the game, but do that later, youre there to win, not boost the oppositions ego.

You can't do both, say you agree with the crap above and say you acknowledge a good bowl. The clown who composed this shite says only to applaud good play after the game ``if warranted''. F*ck off.
That's the c*cksucker 1950s attitude that pervades clubs on the way to doom, the living-in-the-past ethos that's been a millstone around the neck of bowls for decades.

PB
02-09-2008, 10:13 AM

I believe refusing to acknowledge any good bowls is bad sportsmanship. If someone wants to go down this path he/she could find themselves with no-one to play with. Acknowldge your opponents very good bowls, you don't need to acknowledge purely good bowls.

Who ever wrote this sounds like they'd be a sore loser.

Chalks1971
02-09-2008, 10:21 AM
There's more rubbish among those 44 points than in an industrial-size dumpster. The stuff about opponents is utter nonsense.

So this means only those who decided to waste a big portion of their life to get accreditation are the only ones with information to pass on. What a crock.

:i'm with stupid:

Im comfortable enough with my game that I dont need to be playing "mind games" with the opposition, A good bowl is a good bowl no matter who delivers it, and in my opinion should be praised.

02-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Put simply, a guy plays a good shot, and im not just saying draws within two feet or something average and he is an opponent, im not going to stand there clapping that and sayin OOOOHHHHH great shot!
But if that same guy plays an absolute pearler of a shot and he is an opponent I will simply acknowledge that shot often with a nod or a "Good Shot" call but not go overboard like some I have seen who applaud nearly every good bowl the opposition put in when their opposition especially are beating them and bag their own team mates because they are not performing.

Also the wording that you seem to take offence to is "Treat Warily advice from others" and why would.mt you state that?

With all the best intentions in the world, if someone tells a newer bowler what he is doing wrong, however the bowler telling him this is an absolute hopeless bowler himself and is guiding him incorrectly, surely those words would be worthwhile remembering wouldnt they?

Dont be rude to the guy telling you something, but at the same time listen only to those who teach the right thing I would think.

02-09-2008, 10:43 AM
Did this come from the High Performance - Bowls 101 course? Some of that stuff sounds like the way the National team are playing the game

Swifty
02-09-2008, 10:44 AM
I'm with you, Bushy. A murmered "Good bowl" when they put down an absolute ripper is all that's needed.

As for advice, I've always said listen to everyone, but use whatever works for you. Eventually you'll work out who's worth listening to.

Commie
02-09-2008, 11:10 AM
I get novice bowlers to learn this mantra:

''Thanks, but I've got a coach.''

JB
02-09-2008, 12:49 PM

spot on Red.

got a feeling we might know who/where they're from too....the seem very "bended"! ;) :shock:

02-09-2008, 12:52 PM

spot on Red.

got a feeling we might know who/where they're from too....the seem very "bended"! ;) :shock:
Well dont sit on the fence JB, whos coaching tips are they :smile: :smile:

JB
02-09-2008, 01:09 PM
this is your moment in the sun, i'll let you have your moment! :shock: ;)

02-09-2008, 01:11 PM
this is your moment in the sun, i'll let you have your moment! :shock: ;)
I wont bite yet, make post number 5000 a good one JB ;)

Wellsy
02-09-2008, 01:15 PM
yeah come on Bond. Give us an emoticon or two. That's what's made up most of your posts :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

JB
02-09-2008, 01:28 PM
yeah come on Bond. Give us an emoticon or two. That's what's made up most of your posts :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

thats all i've got, buddie! :grin: :smile: :sad:

Wellsy
02-09-2008, 01:32 PM
WOO HOO.

The BowlsWorld server just crashed

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

JB
02-09-2008, 01:38 PM
stoopid dial up! :smile:

02-09-2008, 01:42 PM
Lets try to get back on track now :cool:

Well done on the 5000th JB ;)

Wellsy
02-09-2008, 01:46 PM
So who's the coach??

02-09-2008, 01:55 PM
Compiled by John Ireland – National Coach – Drumcondra Bowling Club Inc. :cool:

Commie
02-09-2008, 02:22 PM
Compiled by John Ireland National Coach Drumcondra Bowling Club Inc. :cool:

Someone from Drumcondra, you say. And an accredited coach as well. I rest my case. :???: :???: :???:

02-09-2008, 02:33 PM
Compiled by John Ireland – National Coach – Drumcondra Bowling Club Inc. :cool:

Someone from Drumcondra, you say. And an accredited coach as well. I rest my case. :???: :???: :???:
Take your time Commie and read this from a man I have the utmost respect for as a bowler.

he is unfortunately not enjoying the best of health these days, but give me your views on Teds Views at some time. (No rush)

Not everyone has the same views on coaching but surely all have the interest of betterment for bowlers at heart dont you think?

http://www.creswickbowlingclub.com.au/h ... ameset.htm (http://www.creswickbowlingclub.com.au/home/homeframeset.htm)

Click on Lawn Bowls then Teds Coaching Page

Commie
02-09-2008, 02:37 PM
Ted Hubbard is a chap I respect greatly, as a man and a bowler. I shall do as you suggest and get back to you.

Commie
02-09-2008, 02:47 PM
Good stuff. Plenty to think about without resorting to preaching diatribe like the Drumcondra chap.

02-09-2008, 02:51 PM
Good stuff. Plenty to think about without resorting to preaching diatribe like the Drumcondra chap.Top Bloke old Ted and im sure all wish him well ;)

Chalks1971
02-09-2008, 02:57 PM
Some pretty handy observations there, particularly enjoyed "Improving your singles".

Commie
02-09-2008, 03:08 PM
I've marked for Ted a couple of times at the RU Masters, and enjoyed the experience greatly.
He's the heart and soul of Creswick. I hope he gets better quickly.

pj
02-09-2008, 10:36 PM
#33, follow that and no one measures!

#34, if we're holding six, you bet your life I'm going to let it be known before they bowl their next pill.

Commit all that to memory, word for word. Then go and put down a wrong f#$%ing bias :mad: :mad:

What's the old saying?........ Oh yes, paralysis by analysis.

Scottie
05-09-2008, 12:15 AM

That's right. Every new bowler becomes a self-professed expert after a couple of games and of course he dispenses with that ridiculous notion that a coach can help improve his game. Sportsmen like Tiger Woods and Roger Federer are only fooling themselves by having a coach to refine and improve their game.

Hmm. Yes. Commie, you have just confirmed my theory that Bowls is the only sport that is dedicated to the Peter Principle: "Don't follow the traditional path of starting at the bottom when you are new and without experience and skills, and then working your way upwards as you develop the requirements for the various levels, and continue until you reach your level of incompetence. Instead, strat at the top and work your way down until you reach your level of competence."

05-09-2008, 12:46 AM
Sorry Scottie but I think you might have Commie wrong on that statement, if you read my earlier post he was replying, I believe to the highlighted section, ;)

Put simply, a guy plays a good shot, and im not just saying draws within two feet or something average and he is an opponent, im not going to stand there clapping that and sayin OOOOHHHHH great shot!
But if that same guy plays an absolute pearler of a shot and he is an opponent I will simply acknowledge that shot often with a nod or a "Good Shot" call but not go overboard like some I have seen who applaud nearly every good bowl the opposition put in when their opposition especially are beating them and bag their own team mates because they are not performing.

Also the wording that you seem to take offence to is "Treat Warily advice from others" and why would.mt you state that?

With all the best intentions in the world, if someone tells a newer bowler what he is doing wrong, however the bowler telling him this is an absolute hopeless bowler himself and is guiding him incorrectly, surely those words would be worthwhile remembering wouldnt they?

Dont be rude to the guy telling you something, but at the same time listen only to those who teach the right thing I would think.

Hence Commies reply ::

I may be wrong however Commie can confirm.

Sometimes confusion arises when trying to read a whole topic ;)