PDA

View Full Version : THE PENNANT SEASON IS HERE!

Scottie
05-10-2008, 01:02 PM
Played our first Pennant scratch match yesterday - under Victorian Conditions of Play (cold, wet, slow green :cry: ).

Our results were no spectacular, with a win on only one rink. But it certainly gave an opportunity to introduce several new Members to the side and gave the Selectors a look at players' abilities and attitudes.

The forecast is fine and sunny conditions over her for the next week - with showers predicted for Saturday (of course)!

Another three Saturdays of inter-club scratch matches should see ours sides pretty well settled and ready for the start of the season on 1 November.[/b]

Keith Maniac
06-10-2008, 01:37 AM
I'm looking forward to my coming season with Esperance. I'm in the side for the "South East Tour" which is run over 4 days and plays at a number of clubs in the district and is a multi-discipline event held just before the season proper.

I can't wait!!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Scottie
01-11-2008, 12:06 AM
... Another three Saturdays of inter-club scratch matches should see ours sides pretty well settled and ready for the start of the season on 1 November.[/b]

Well, that was the theory anyway.

The practice seems a little different, with the past three Saturdays being a build-up of angst by players not picked in the sides/positions that they demand as their right.

Only a couple walk-outs :walk: before the first game - but this is compensated for by a couple of 'walk-ins' :walk: from other Clubs.

Thank everyone's God that I am not silly enough to be a Selector! :director:

:ha ha: :mad: :ha ha:

Keith Maniac
01-11-2008, 12:23 AM
We start tomorrow in Esperance and the biggest issue I can forsee is that we have two teams directly opposed to each other! :shock:

Keith Maniac
02-11-2008, 08:04 PM
Well, the first round has been run and won for Esperance Blue, with 3 rinks up and an overall win by 30 odd shots against Scaddan. We are on top after round 1! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I wasn't particularly happy with my own game, but managed to put down some telling bowls at the right time anyway. My consistency was shithouse though! :roll:

Oh well. It is only the first round. :mrgreen:

Scottie
02-11-2008, 10:19 PM
Good to get that first game of the season under the belt, isn't it K-M?

First game of the season with my new Club was - would you believe it - against my old Club on Saturday. :shock:

Fortunately our 16 did the right thing and we won on three of the four rinks. I was reasonably happy with my own game - although I finished with two shockers on the last end to drop two shots and thus reduce our rink's winning margin to four. :oops:
The wiley old bugger I was skipping against certainly tested me. But I reckon that I handled our team pretty well and got every member contributing during the game.

Still, there are some real tough games coming up for us. Just hope I can keep playing reasonably well, hold my Skips spot, and encourage the rest of the team to perform to their best.

And of course - enjoy the comradre after the game!
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Keith Maniac
03-11-2008, 01:47 PM
Good to get that first game of the season under the belt, isn't it K-M?

First game of the season with my new Club was - would you believe it - against my old Club on Saturday. :shock:

Fortunately our 16 did the right thing and we won on three of the four rinks. I was reasonably happy with my own game - although I finished with two shockers on the last end to drop two shots and thus reduce our rink's winning margin to four. :oops:
The wiley old bugger I was skipping against certainly tested me. But I reckon that I handled our team pretty well and got every member contributing during the game.

Still, there are some real tough games coming up for us. Just hope I can keep playing reasonably well, hold my Skips spot, and encourage the rest of the team to perform to their best.

And of course - enjoy the comradre after the game!
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Spot on Scottie! After reading about all of he Vics playing over the last month, I was beginning to wonder whether we were going to start at all! :smile:

Swifty
03-11-2008, 03:07 PM
Three practice games and I was firing on all cylinders. Come the first game of the season (in 2 Blue) and I play like a hairy goat. :oops:

Second last end, we're 6 down on the end and looking sick. Our skipper comes down with a yard on, moves a couple out of the way and stays for shot! A 7 shot turnaround. Guess what we won the aggregate by? 7 shots! :mrgreen:

Keith Maniac
03-11-2008, 04:44 PM
Three practice games and I was firing on all cylinders. Come the first game of the season (in 2 Blue) and I play like a hairy goat. :oops:

Second last end, we're 6 down on the end and looking sick. Our skipper comes down with a yard on, moves a couple out of the way and stays for shot! A 7 shot turnaround. Guess what we won the aggregate by? 7 shots! :mrgreen:

Ya gotta love those sorts of results!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Keith Maniac
09-11-2008, 01:50 AM
Well, it's two in a row now for Esperance Blue. :mrgreen:

We are quite well placed (on top) after our second win (against last year's premiers) by 30 odd shots, even with a couple of good bowlers unavailable due to the imminent grain harvest. :cool:

09-11-2008, 12:35 PM
Seems (Unfortunately) that like the now defunct Tassie Pennant results http://forums.bowlsworld.com.au/viewtop ... 65&start=0 (http://forums.bowlsworld.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=1865&start=0) Wa will see the same responses (or lack of) simply because its not a Victorian thing ;)

Sure maybe now its mentioned some will feel the guilt and say something but guys this place is called "Bowlsworld" not Bowlsworld Victoria.

All posts in this thread are from Western Aus, how hard is it to say, "Well done" or show some interest in something outside the Victorian State Border?

Its well known that this place is Viccentric, but when even one of your own, in Maniac, cant get a response, because he plays now in WA, dont we see why out of Stater's join, but dont participate for very long then dissapear ;)

Get with it guys and how about a little more involvement in topics out of Victoria's inner sanctum discussions? :mrgreen:

Keith Maniac
09-11-2008, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the support Bushy, but I'm not really bothered if I don't get a response. I'm just reporting a result.

Though, someone is sure to say something, eventually. :smile: :smile: :smile:

king of swing
09-11-2008, 03:30 PM
great part of the world keith, and I remember how important the grain harvest was, oh n by the way congrats two from two, with the harvest on, all smiles no doubt, and yes bushy I agree with you for only the third time, it is bowlsworld, and thats coming from an ol vic, but when you have the ultimate pennant compitition you need not worry about anything else

sauce
09-11-2008, 04:07 PM
Seems (Unfortunately) that like the now defunct Tassie Pennant results http://forums.bowlsworld.com.au/viewtop ... 65&start=0 (http://forums.bowlsworld.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=1865&start=0) Wa will see the same responses (or lack of) simply because its not a Victorian thing ;)

Sure maybe now its mentioned some will feel the guilt and say something but guys this place is called "Bowlsworld" not Bowlsworld Victoria.

All posts in this thread are from Western Aus, how hard is it to say, "Well done" or show some interest in something outside the Victorian State Border?

Its well known that this place is Viccentric, but when even one of your own, in Maniac, cant get a response, because he plays now in WA, dont we see why out of Stater's join, but dont participate for very long then dissapear ;)

Get with it guys and how about a little more involvement in topics out of Victoria's inner sanctum discussions? :mrgreen:

Considering the amount of views to this particular thread you're drawing a long bow trying to say that no one cares about these results.

Plenty of people are reading this thread which means we are interested. We just don't see the need to congratulate everyone on making a post.

I'm sure Maniacs not here to get plaudits every time he wins a game. Keep up the results though Maniac because we Victorians do actually care about bowls outside of Victoria despite what Bushman thinks.

Chalks1971
09-11-2008, 04:47 PM
They play bowls outside Victoria, who would of heard of such a ridiculous thing, next youll be telling me they dont break for tea & bikkies!

09-11-2008, 05:31 PM

Considering the amount of views to this particular thread you're drawing a long bow trying to say that no one cares about these results.

Plenty of people are reading this thread which means we are interested. We just don't see the need to congratulate everyone on making a post.

I'm sure Maniacs not here to get plaudits every time he wins a game. Keep up the results though Maniac because we Victorians do actually care about bowls outside of Victoria despite what Bushman thinks.
:i'm with stupid:

Keith Maniac
09-11-2008, 09:42 PM
They play bowls outside Victoria, who would of heard of such a ridiculous thing, next youll be telling me they dont break for tea & bikkies!

Bloody New South Welshmen!! :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Swifty
10-11-2008, 03:32 PM
Second game of the season, we won 7/1.

After 11 ends I looked across the boards. The scores were 9/8, 9/8, 9/8, 8/7. :shock:

We won the aggregate by 3. :mrgreen:

sauce
10-11-2008, 03:57 PM

After 11 ends I looked across the boards. The scores were 9/8, 9/8, 9/8, 8/7. :shock:

How do the points work over there Swifty?

Swifty
10-11-2008, 04:05 PM

How do the points work over there Swifty?

For Saturdays, with 4 rinks, it's one point per rink win and 4 for the aggregate. Total of 8 points available.

Thursday Pennants are only 3 rinks, so it's one per rink and 3 for the aggregate, for a total of 6 points.

sauce
10-11-2008, 04:14 PM
Places a lot of emphasis on the rink wins as opposed to the overall.

Swifty
10-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Not really. It's quite possible to win 5/3, by only winning on one rink but winning well, and getting the aggregate. The aggregate is the main prize, the rink wins are the icing on the cake.

Keith Maniac
10-11-2008, 05:44 PM
Not really. It's quite possible to win 5/3, by only winning on one rink but winning well, and getting the aggregate. The aggregate is the main prize, the rink wins are the icing on the cake.

It's similar in Vic, 10 for the overall win and 2 for each winning rink. For some reason there are a lot more points available! :shock:

Keith Maniac
15-11-2008, 10:41 PM
Well, Esperance Blue are still undefeated after beating Condingup in a tight affair. In the end, we had 3 rinks up with yours truly playing 3 in the "one that got away". :roll:

We did, however, only go down by 2. You all know the story. Gusty winds, opposition's luck, no luck yourself, etc, etc, ........ :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

papabear
16-11-2008, 07:11 AM

It's similar in Vic, 10 for the overall win and 2 for each winning rink. For some reason there are a lot more points available! :shock:

Not all Vic. In the MBA (northern country on the border with NSW) it's 2 points per rink win and 6 for the overall so a total of 14 points per game available.

moosc
16-11-2008, 08:51 AM
I have always believed that the point system for penant should be 1 point per rink win. 0 pts for a loss or a draw( I consider draws as non-events) :grin:

The aggregate winner shots up overall gets 1 point for each winning rink.

Therefore if a team wins 4 rinks and the overall they would score 8pts. 3 rink wins and the total 6 points. 2 rink wins and the total 4pts and 1 rink win and the total 2 pts. :grin:

So therefore the winning teams totals would be 8 -0, 6 - 1, 4 - 2 and 2 -3.

Before you shoot me down I have always believed that pennant should be a rink game and the side that wins more rinks should have the advantage :grin:

Neil W

Swifty
17-11-2008, 12:48 PM
I won't shoot you down, but I don't agree with you. To me, Pennants is a team game. You're representing your Club, so the overall score should be more important than the individual rinks.

Swifty
17-11-2008, 12:51 PM
Another great win for Ossy Park in 2 Blue. Travelled away to the 2nd placed club and won 6-2.

Horrendous conditions in the wind. One of my bowls actually went out of bounds - ON THE NARROW SIDE! :shock: It genuinely turned AGAINST the bias! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Keith Maniac
17-11-2008, 01:04 PM
Another great win for Ossy Park in 2 Blue. Travelled away to the 2nd placed club and won 6-2.

Horrendous conditions in the wind. One of my bowls actually went out of bounds - ON THE NARROW SIDE! :shock: It genuinely turned AGAINST the bias! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Same conditions here in Esperance. I was sending by Inters almost straight down the middle on the tight side and aiming to the outside peg on the next rink on the wide hand! Then there were the gusts!! :shock: :shock:

Not much fun on a 16 sec+ carpet. :roll:

Swifty
18-11-2008, 06:09 PM
Keith, just a reminder about Country Week.

The Burswood Entertainment Complex Men's Country Week will be held from the 27th March until the 6th March 2009.

On the Thursday before, Ossy Park hosts the Welcome Fours. It's a Versatility Fours day, and a lot of fun. But it fills up early, so get a team in quick.

Do you reckon you'll be up this way for it?

Keith Maniac
18-11-2008, 06:17 PM

The Burswood Entertainment Complex Men's Country Week will be held from the 27th March until the 6th March 2009.

On the Thursday before, Ossy Park hosts the Welcome Fours. It's a Versatility Fours day, and a lot of fun. But it fills up early, so get a team in quick.

I assume that you mean the 6th April, but unfortunately, I will be back in Melbourne for a couple of weddings during that period. Normally, I could possibly get out of going back, but one of them is my bloody daughter's wedding! I'd better go. :smile: :smile:

I'll have to look at catching up with the "Perth Crew" after that.

Swifty
18-11-2008, 06:46 PM

I assume that you mean the 6th April, but unfortunately, I will be back in Melbourne for a couple of weddings during that period. Normally, I could possibly get out of going back, but one of them is my bloody daughter's wedding! I'd better go. :smile: :smile:

That's what I get for cutting and pasting without checking for myself! :roll:

Bloody BowlsWA! :twisted:

Oh, well, I suppose it would be a bit hard to get out of your daughter's wedding. See you up here for a social game or two later in the year, then.

Keith Maniac
19-11-2008, 10:17 AM

That's what I get for cutting and pasting without checking for myself! :roll:

Bloody BowlsWA! :twisted:

Oh, well, I suppose it would be a bit hard to get out of your daughter's wedding. See you up here for a social game or two later in the year, then.

Most definitely, Swifty! :cool:

19-11-2008, 10:26 AM

How inconsiderate :smile: :smile:

Keith Maniac
19-11-2008, 12:39 PM

How inconsiderate :smile: :smile:

I've already expressed my displeasure, but got her back by posting a video of my naked walk on Facebook. It's caused her no end of embarrassment! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Keith Maniac
22-11-2008, 11:11 PM
Well, I suppose it had to happen, but Esperance Blue was beaten by Scaddan, in a tight affair today. We only had one rink up, but two of the others were close, including ours. One rink, however, was thrashed.

We are still top, though. Second also lost. :mrgreen:

Swifty
24-11-2008, 01:33 PM
No bowls last Saturday. Game was called off about 10 minutes before the rain stopped and the sun came out - as usual! :roll:

On the other hand, we did have a full day yesterday with the Club Pairs. Got through two games against quality opposition before bombing out in the quarter finals. Lack of fitness may have had something to do with it. :oops:

Very stiff today. I can hardly walk. :cry:

Keith Maniac
30-11-2008, 02:00 PM
Esperance Blue got back on the winning track yesterday, with yours truly having his best game since joining and ...... I skipped! :shock:

Got through by 3 shots after being 10 down at around the 10th end in a very good quality match. It was tight right across the green, but we ended up with 3 winning rinks and the overall win by 5 shots.

There are some bloody good bowlers here. Take them lightly at your own peril. :mrgreen:

30-11-2008, 02:21 PM
No bowls last Saturday. Game was called off about 10 minutes before the rain stopped and the sun came out - as usual! :roll:

On the other hand, we did have a full day yesterday with the Club Pairs. Got through two games against quality opposition before bombing out in the quarter finals. Lack of fitness may have had something to do with it. :oops:

Very stiff today. I can hardly walk. :cry:
Should that comment be in the Viagra thread :oops: :oops: ;)

Swifty
01-12-2008, 12:06 PM
Not a good result on Saturday. Got thrashed by a skipper with the nickname "Never miss a drive". Now I know why! :cry:

On the other hand, we all played bloody well. I had one of my better games. I've never played so well to be so soundly thrashed! We kept getting bowls close, but we couldn't keep them there.

Still, the team we played were on top of the table (we were 2nd), and we played at their place. Hopefully we'll get our revenge in the return bout.

Keith Maniac
01-12-2008, 12:40 PM
Not a good result on Saturday. Got thrashed by a skipper with the nickname "Never miss a drive". Now I know why! :cry:

On the other hand, we all played bloody well. I had one of my better games. I've never played so well to be so soundly thrashed! We kept getting bowls close, but we couldn't keep them there.

Still, the team we played were on top of the table (we were 2nd), and we played at their place. Hopefully we'll get our revenge in the return bout.

Sounds like you didn't do that much wrong, Swifty. Their skip just had a day out. Nothin' ya can do about that, unfortunately.

01-12-2008, 01:00 PM

it happens on the weekend i led by about 6 at the break to end up getting beat by 11 and i assure you it was not an 11 shot game. although i have to take the blame because we had 3 out of the 4 rinks down at the break and down by 15 shots overall and thought someone had to take charge on the overall game. whether i was right or wrong i sacraficed my game for the good of the overall.

i know people wont make sense of that but i had to keep the other three rinks motivated and try to lift them otherwise we staring at a 16-2 loss overall.

when i walked off the green i looked to the scoreboard to see that i had been beaten by 11 shots and just looked at my team and said how did we lose by 11 we didnt play poor.

its just why i love the game so much

Swifty
01-12-2008, 01:14 PM
Yeah, I'm not upset about losing, because I know I had a good game and the rink as a whole played well. But it was a bit frustrating.

I felt a bit better this morning when I found out this skipper was beaten in the 2nd round of the Masters Singles on Sunday! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

MasterGreen
03-12-2008, 03:36 PM
Who was that swifty?

Swifty
03-12-2008, 03:39 PM
Joe Rollnik.

Went from playing 1 Red at Kalamunda to 2 Blue at Midland-Morrison. That's why I wasn't too upset about him beating us.

Methinks M-M might be in 1 Blue next year. :grin:

MasterGreen
03-12-2008, 03:44 PM
But I can't see them going any higher. :lol:

From what I hear, Kalamunda has pretty crappy greens, would be good if bowls WA took the home games off them till they were playable ;)

Swifty
03-12-2008, 03:51 PM
Don't know. I haven't played up there yet.

MasterGreen
03-12-2008, 03:53 PM
Probally a bit harsh :razz:

Keith Maniac
06-12-2008, 11:20 PM
Esperance Blue continue our march to the finals with all four rinks up against Condingup. It had been tight for most of the day, but we got away at the end, across the board, with one rink coming back from 11 shots down to win by 7. Our rink was up most of the day but only ever by 1 or 2, but finally broke the shackles in the last few ends to win 30-16.

We have one more game before the Xmas break before the rep games start. So, we are very well placed. :mrgreen:

Swifty
08-12-2008, 12:53 PM
Don't want to talk about this week! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Keith Maniac
08-12-2008, 04:48 PM

Can't be that bad Swifty, can it? :mrgreen:

Swifty
08-12-2008, 05:04 PM

Oh yes it can! :oops: :oops: :oops:

In 3rd place, playing at home against 8th place, and we went down 8-0. Lost our rink by 18 points. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Keith Maniac
08-12-2008, 05:10 PM

Oh yes it can! :oops: :oops: :oops:

In 3rd place, playing at home against 8th place, and we went down 8-0. Lost our rink by 18 points. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Right then. I don't think anybody else heard, so we'll just keep it our secret. :smile: :smile:

Swifty
08-12-2008, 05:13 PM
I told you I didn't want to talk about it! :???:

Keith Maniac
08-12-2008, 05:15 PM
I told you I didn't want to talk about it! :???:

It's alright mate. Have a soothing ale! :cool:

Swifty
08-12-2008, 05:17 PM
I had a few glasses of anaesthetic Saturday night, but it still hurt. :shock: :twisted:

Keith Maniac
08-12-2008, 05:22 PM
I had a few glasses of anaesthetic Saturday night, but it still hurt. :shock: :twisted:

Gotta stay away from that Emu stuff mate! :smile:

Swifty
08-12-2008, 05:30 PM

What a thought! :shock:

A couple of Carlton Blacks (no Tooheys Old on tap :cry: ), then into the Bundy.

Keith Maniac
08-12-2008, 05:48 PM

What a thought! :shock:

A couple of Carlton Blacks (no Tooheys Old on tap :cry: ), then into the Bundy.

A few of our NSW types might be horrified, but I think that the Carlton Black is a better drink! :mrgreen:

Swifty
08-12-2008, 06:11 PM
I prefer the Tooheys Old myself, but I've gotten used to the Black. If I'm taking a stubby outside, it will be Old.

Chalks1971
09-12-2008, 10:41 AM
A few of our NSW types might be horrified, but I think that the Carlton Black is a better drink! :mrgreen:

But youre a mexican Keefy, what would you know about fine beers?

We keep asking Bushy, wheres that fisherman emoticon?

Keith Maniac
09-12-2008, 10:52 AM

Toohey's Old is the only decent beer that comes out of NSW, unless they still make Kent Old Brown? Now that was a real beer, much better than all of the other blacks, browns, darks or whatever. :mrgreen: :cool:

By the way, I am now a Sandgroper! :smile: :smile:

psst
09-12-2008, 10:54 AM

Yeah it's not that bad. i managed about 3 sips with my first one, took it back to the bar and tried to get a trade in. Didn't work, I found out I wasn't the first to try. :fish: :hook: :fish:

Keith Maniac
15-12-2008, 10:15 AM
Well, not a good weekend in Esperance. We lost all four rinks away to Scaddan on Saturday and to top it off, after leading the pack after the first 5 games in the Fours Champs, our rink collapsed yesterday, to lose our last 3 games, albeit by smallish margins.

We're still on top of the ladder, though. :mrgreen:

Swifty
15-12-2008, 12:24 PM
This is starting to get bloody depressing! :cry:

I thought I was back in winning form after a good win on Thursday, but no, we still went down on Saturday.

I can see some changes being made soon. :oops:

Swifty
12-01-2009, 01:04 PM
Well, I've finally worked it out. The best thing you can do is take three weeks off without touching a bowl. No practice, no roll-ups. You come back feeling fresh and ready to rip.

Won on Thursday by 18 shots, then on Saturday we had another good win to get 7 1/2 points out of 8.

I'm feeling good about my bowls again! :mrgreen:

Keith Maniac
15-01-2009, 12:23 PM
Well, I've finally worked it out. The best thing you can do is take three weeks off without touching a bowl. No practice, no roll-ups. You come back feeling fresh and ready to rip.

Won on Thursday by 18 shots, then on Saturday we had another good win to get 7 1/2 points out of 8.

I'm feeling good about my bowls again! :mrgreen:

Nothing like a new year, eh? :mrgreen:

Keith Maniac
17-01-2009, 10:57 PM
Well, I played in my first ever pure draw today, scores level after 100 ends and two rinks apiece! :shock:

We are still on top, though. :mrgreen:

Keith Maniac
25-01-2009, 03:54 AM
Esperance Blue goes on it's merry way, defeating Condingup (2nd on the ladder) today. It is virtually impossible now for us to lose top spot with 3 games to go. We had a couple out, too.

Looks like I get to play finals again! :mrgreen:

Keith Maniac
08-02-2009, 12:42 AM
Esperance Blue went on it's merry way today with all rinks up and a winning margin of 40+ shots! :mrgreen:

On a personal note, I skipped again and our rink won 38-15. Pretty cool! :cool: :cool:

Keith Maniac
09-02-2009, 09:44 AM
Another whitewash of Scaddan. All rinks up in a 40 shot win. Yours truly skipped again and we won 38-15 on our rink. We definitely cannot lose top spot with 2 rounds to go. Under the system here, we go straight into the GF! :cool:

Scottie
09-02-2009, 12:55 PM
Can't wait for your THIRD post about last Saturday's game KM!
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Keith Maniac
09-02-2009, 02:09 PM
Can't wait for your THIRD post about last Saturday's game KM!
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Oops! I didn't even realise that I'd already posted the result! It was a big weekend! :oops: :mrgreen:

Swifty
10-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Finally got some recognition for my great form from a couple of months ago (NOT the last couple of weeks - who says selectors are slow?) and got a run in 1 White.

Failed miserably and our rink lost 35-12! :oops:

Back to reality and 2 Blue this week. :cry:

Keith Maniac
14-02-2009, 09:20 PM
I hope I don't repeat myself again, but Esperance Blue defeated our arch rivals, Esperance Gold, today in a very tight affair, winning 3 rinks and only going down by 1 shot in the other. Yours truly had a win (after a bit of a scare), but it now means that, whatever happens in the last game of the season next week against Condingup, we will finish on top.

Go Blue!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Scottie
14-02-2009, 09:34 PM
Well done KM.

You will probably have my skip from today watching your game next week.
Kergie is going to be working down in your neck of the woods - picking up and bagging Pb for Magellon. Let me warn you - he's not adverse to a drink or two!

Keith Maniac
14-02-2009, 09:38 PM
Well done KM.

You will probably have my skip from today watching your game next week.
Kergie is going to be working down in your neck of the woods - picking up and bagging Pb for Magellon. Let me warn you - he's not adverse to a drink or two!

Tell him he'll be welcomed with open arms and I'm the big hairy bastard!

PS: They don't know me as Keith. My true moniker is Michael Flanagan.

Cheers! :cheers:

Swifty
16-02-2009, 12:39 PM
Back to winning form! :mrgreen:

We were the last rink to finish, and going into the final end the aggregate was level. The opposition was holding shot until our skipper rested it out with his first bowl and stayed for shot. Their skip had two goes at moving it, and missed by a millimetre both times!

Talk about pressure!

Won our rink by 4 and the aggregate by 1. 6-2 to Ossie Park. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Keith Maniac
16-02-2009, 12:50 PM
Back to winning form! :mrgreen:

We were the last rink to finish, and going into the final end the aggregate was level. The opposition was holding shot until our skipper rested it out with his first bowl and stayed for shot. Their skip had two goes at moving it, and missed by a millimetre both times!

Talk about pressure!

Won our rink by 4 and the aggregate by 1. 6-2 to Ossie Park. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Well done Swifty! I assume that you played well yourself, too. :cool:

Swifty
23-02-2009, 01:00 PM
An even better win! We were sitting in 6th place, and we knocked over the top team 7-1! :mrgreen:

A couple more like that and we'll slip into 5th and be in the playoffs.

And yes, Keith, this time I CAN say I played well. I had a good one on Saturday, and handled our 17 second green pretty easily. :razz:

Keith Maniac
23-02-2009, 05:55 PM
An even better win! We were sitting in 6th place, and we knocked over the top team 7-1! :mrgreen:

A couple more like that and we'll slip into 5th and be in the playoffs.

And yes, Keith, this time I CAN say I played well. I had a good one on Saturday, and handled our 17 second green pretty easily. :razz:

Great to hear Swifty! :cool:

here in Esperance, Blue went to Condingup, in a game that had no effect upon the make of of the ladder and although it was a tight affair, we still got the points. Considering that we had a few out and the replacements will be unlikely to play finals, it was a good effort. Unfortunately, my rink was the only loser, but we did win the last seven ends, helping the whole team get over the line.

Unfortunately, the finals aren't held until the 14th and 15th of March, because of Country Week in Perth! :shock: :shock:

And we all thought that the RVBA knew how to stuff up a schedule! :roll: :roll:

Swifty
24-02-2009, 01:37 PM
Only 2nd place in the Plate of the Club Singles, KM?

That's a bit of a disappointment, isn't it?

Keith Maniac
24-02-2009, 01:47 PM

You are right, Swifty. However, I was put out of the main draw by one of those "last bowl" exponents! I was actually very consistent and was holding 3s and 4s many times, but that's singles.

As for the Plate? No excuses, except to say that the old "Footballer's knee" came back to haunt me in the semi and I was bowling off one leg after the 3rd end of that and the entire final. As it was, I only went down by 4 shots after getting to within 2.

As I say, no excuses, just reasons.

By the way, you are well informed! :shock: :cool:

Scottie
24-02-2009, 02:01 PM
Swifty beat me in sending you congratulations on your runner-up placing in the Esperance Club Championship Singles Plate.

At least you managed to struggle on in your crippled state and got your name in the West Australian newspaper

:eek: :eek: :smile: :eek: :eek:

Swifty
24-02-2009, 02:39 PM

You are right, Swifty. However, I was put out of the main draw by one of those "last bowl" exponents! I was actually very consistent and was holding 3s and 4s many times, but that's singles.

As for the Plate? No excuses, except to say that the old "Footballer's knee" came back to haunt me in the semi and I was bowling off one leg after the 3rd end of that and the entire final. As it was, I only went down by 4 shots after getting to within 2.

Goanna heat rub and Nurofen have gotten me through many games! :razz:

And all I did was read the paper. I saw results from Esperance, so I checked to see if you got a mention.

Swifty
24-02-2009, 02:41 PM
Anyway, you did a lot better than I did. I couldn't even get past the opening sectional play.

So well done! :get outa here:

Keith Maniac
24-02-2009, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the congrats, chaps. Gotta say. It wasn't much fun falling off the mat every second bowl, but I wasn't going to quit. I'm now in recovery. :mrgreen:

Swifty
24-02-2009, 02:54 PM
BTW Keith, Country Week starts this week, not next month as I originally thought. Are you coming up for it?

We have a few vacancies for the Welcome Fours at Osborne Park on Thursday. I believe we're still looking for 3 teams. It's always a great day.

As it turns out, I'll be playing a Pennant game at the club on Thursday as well. So if you can make it, give us a yell.

Keith Maniac
24-02-2009, 05:00 PM
BTW Keith, Country Week starts this week, not next month as I originally thought. Are you coming up for it?

We have a few vacancies for the Welcome Fours at Osborne Park on Thursday. I believe we're still looking for 3 teams. It's always a great day.

As it turns out, I'll be playing a Pennant game at the club on Thursday as well. So if you can make it, give us a yell.

Sorry Swifty. I was planning on it, but the vehicle needs some more loving care, which means spending more bloody money! So, I've had to give it a miss. There are a number of teams heading up from Esperance, though. You'll know them, because they'll be the ones that are permanently pissed! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Swifty
24-02-2009, 05:02 PM
I'll keep an eye out for them, and get all the juicy stories about you off them. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Keith Maniac
24-02-2009, 05:47 PM
I'll keep an eye out for them, and get all the juicy stories about you off them. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I'm sure you'll get a few! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Davo
24-02-2009, 06:34 PM

They're not reasons Keefy, they're excuses!! :razz: :smile:

Well done anyway mate. Now tell me what the hell is the "Club Championship Singles Plate"? Is it what we mexicans call the Club Singles Championship?

Also, how's your win/loss record looking playing skip Keefy?

Keith Maniac
24-02-2009, 06:44 PM

Well done anyway mate. Now tell me what the hell is the "Club Championship Singles Plate"? Is it what we mexicans call the Club Singles Championship?

The "Plate" is like a second bite at the cherry if you get knocked out of the main draw. It's quite a good idea, because it keeps people interested and there is a bit of drinking money in it, as well.

As for my record as a skip? I've skipped 6 times for a 4-2 record. Not perfect, but some times over here, if a player is unavailable, the standard of the replacement can drop dramatically. For instance, my second got his face smashed in with a surfboard on Friday. The only available replacement is a bloke with a withered arm, a pronounced limp and can only bowl on his forehand. It was also his first game of pennant for the year.

Mine was the only losing rink on Saturday! :smile: :smile: :smile:

(We did win our last 7 ends, though, helping with the overall score when it counted.) :mrgreen:

Robbo
24-02-2009, 08:05 PM
[quote=Swifty]Only 2nd place in the Plate of the Club Singles, KM?

The "Plate" is like a second bite at the cherry if you get knocked out of the main draw. It's quite a good idea, because it keeps people interested and there is a bit of drinking money in it, as well.

As for my record as a skip? I've skipped 6 times for a 4-2 record. Not perfect, but some times over here, if a player is unavailable, the standard of the replacement can drop dramatically. For instance, my second got his face smashed in with a surfboard on Friday. The only available replacement is a bloke with a withered arm, a pronounced limp and can only bowl on his forehand. It was also his first game of pennant for the year.

(We did win our last 7 ends, though, helping with the overall score when it counted.) :mrgreen:[/quote:8dkg0yw3]

Apart from that....he was sensational! :smile:

Keith Maniac
24-02-2009, 09:30 PM
[quote=Swifty]Only 2nd place in the Plate of the Club Singles, KM?

(We did win our last 7 ends, though, helping with the overall score when it counted.) :mrgreen:

Apart from that....he was sensational! :smile:[/quote:29f6mdqj]

He did have more touchers than anyone else on the bloody rink! :shock:

Unfortunately, most of them sliced the jack to them, or made it even harder to get through the "Great Wall of China" once my third or myself got onto the bloody mat! :smile: :smile:

psst
24-02-2009, 09:41 PM
About time I can post to this thread. Round 1 on Saturday :roll:

Keith Maniac
24-02-2009, 09:50 PM

Where?

psst
25-02-2009, 07:26 AM

Where?

I play for Belrose, Zone 9 in the Northern Suburbs of Sydney. First year at the club after a few at St Ives, same Zone.

Keith Maniac
27-02-2009, 05:15 PM

Where?

I play for Belrose, Zone 9 in the Northern Suburbs of Sydney. First year at the club after a few at St Ives, same Zone.

Great to hear Psst, but this is the WA section! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Swifty
16-03-2009, 01:48 PM
What a week!

Scored maximum points on Thursday to give us an outside chance of saving ourselves from relegation, and picked up an 8 badge doing it! :mrgreen:

Then got 8/8 on Saturday, which should put us in the play-off zone. Almost got another 8 badge in this game as well, but the oppo skip's last drive took out 3 of our bowls.

Plus I won a leg of lamb in the raffle! :mad:

Keith Maniac
20-03-2009, 11:28 AM
What a week!

Scored maximum points on Thursday to give us an outside chance of saving ourselves from relegation, and picked up an 8 badge doing it! :mrgreen:

Then got 8/8 on Saturday, which should put us in the play-off zone. Almost got another 8 badge in this game as well, but the oppo skip's last drive took out 3 of our bowls.

Plus I won a leg of lamb in the raffle! :mad:

Go Swifty!!! :yoda:

dunny
20-03-2009, 04:07 PM
What a week!

Plus I won a leg of lamb in the raffle! :mad:shhh dont tell knackers, he will drive 3000km to get it :smile: :smile: