PDA

View Full Version : Bowlers, Bowls Lifters, and Safety.

17-11-2008, 08:22 PM
I saw the following posted elsewhere and I guess the guy has some validation as something more than just a whinger, im sure many have seen the carelessness of some who use these contraptions and maybe some might express what they think of the way in which some people use them.

Can anyone offer some advice on this problem?
Many bowlers are using bowls lifters nowadays. They use them because of some kind of disability (bad back etc) While I don't have a problem with it I don't believe they realize what a risk they pose for serious injury. Many times I have seen bowlers leave them unattended, standing on the greens, or on the surrounds, and a few times I have seen them laying on the ground with the prongs facing up! and nobdy seems to notice. Can anyone imagine what would transpire if a person should fall on one of these? Another problem with using them that needs to be addressed is some of these bowlers are skips and thirds, they hold them while standing in the head, sometimes using them like a pointer to tell their bowlers what way they want them to come! On occasion I have mentioned to them the danger they pose because of where they have left them only to be given a cold stare or made to feel like a jerk for mentioning it.
All comments appreciated. Thanks nowicks

Commie
18-11-2008, 10:33 AM
I do know that any criticism of bowls lifters being left as traffic hazards is always met with icy indifference.
Some people just have more rights than others.

PB
18-11-2008, 10:38 AM
I know that at one club when I complained about it I got an icy stare and so what, when I then said if I ever trip over it I'll bend it & throw it over the fence rather abruptly it was moved.

I will though add most bowlers do but them behind their bags at breaks and before the game which is the correct thing to do.

Swifty
18-11-2008, 11:54 AM
If you must leave it unattended on the bank, do what I do with any I find - stand them with the prongs wrapped around the rink marker or boundary peg. That way at least they are in a position where there is already another obstacle that most people would be aware of.