PDA

View Full Version : A Question for Coaches

Wellsy
05-02-2009, 11:20 PM
As a coach, at what point do you step in to tell a player at your club of a flaw in technique? A player is obviously struggling, mainly due to a fault in their delivery. Do you let it drag on for weeks hoping the player will turn it around or do you step in ASAP and try to address the problem.

What do you do at your club as a coach, or what do you see your coaches doing to help these players?

05-02-2009, 11:34 PM
God taught us when I did my ticket (Middelton) that for every month a player had a fault in his delivery it would take you a week to get it out.

But he also said we had to wait for the player to approach us, and were not to go to them, something that is hard to follow, however there is the small problem of, if you approached that guy, and started to tell him what was wrong, he might also tell you to go and get.......................

Its a tough call :neutral:

dave
06-02-2009, 12:35 PM
I have gone through stages of trying to help ... offering to help ... asking if they were happy with their game ... etc ... and now I pretty well ignore them ... EXCEPT ... when playing against them I try my best to flog them unmercifully ... :smile: :smile: :smile:

Commie
06-02-2009, 01:02 PM
I have gone through stages of trying to help ... offering to help ... asking if they were happy with their game ... etc ... and now I pretty well ignore them ... EXCEPT ... when playing against them I try my best to flog them unmercifully ... :smile: :smile: :smile:

You are a hard man ... but funnily enough, you think the same way as me. :smile: :smile: :smile:

JB
06-02-2009, 01:36 PM
God taught us when I did my ticket (Middelton) that for every month a player had a fault in his delivery it would take you a week to get it out.

what data/stats is he basing this comment on? or is it his subjective view? if thats the case, i hope he never becomes an auditor.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Perko
17-02-2009, 06:52 PM
As a coach, at what point do you step in to tell a player at your club of a flaw in technique? A player is obviously struggling, mainly due to a fault in their delivery. Do you let it drag on for weeks hoping the player will turn it around or do you step in ASAP and try to address the problem.

What do you do at your club as a coach, or what do you see your coaches doing to help these players?

Player should be told ASAP, if it was during a game, I woul tell him after the game what the problem is, if it was at practice step in there and then, if he doesnt want the advice well then its his problem, do you really think that Mick Malthouse waits for 1 of his players to come to him and says his got a problem with kicking, im sure Mick would pick that up and have it fixed

17-02-2009, 07:10 PM
Player should be told ASAP, if it was during a game, I woul tell him after the game what the problem is,

Most definitely. One of our club coaches was in my rink a couple of weeks back. I held my tongue each time he offered advice DURING the match. It was all I could do not to launch into him!

if it was at practice step in there and then, if he doesnt want the advice well then its his problem

I'm with you. If it's not in the middle of a match, there's no time like the present. And those that don't want coaching can't whine too hard when they're dropped or not selected. You've offered! Can't do much more than that.

Swifty
17-02-2009, 07:19 PM
I was given my first run in 1 White the other day. Shocking conditions, 20+sec green, howling gale. And in the middle of the game this idiot on the bank starts giving me tips on how I should be taking a smaller step off the mat.

The problem was, he's not a coach. In fact he's only been bowling about 6 months! :knob

That man is very, VERY lucky I'm not the violent type! :listen to me:

As it is, I'm smart enough to know who to ignore, and I let it wash over me.

But no, it's not a good idea to coach during a game! :twisted:

biassed
18-02-2009, 08:09 PM
once upon a time coaches had to wait to be asked >>>> however now i think if they want top they are able to go and tell someone their faults etc and "perhaps they need to see a coach". i MYSELF WOULD NEVER GO AND TELL SOMEONE I WOULD WAIT TO BE ASKED..

fossil
02-03-2009, 11:01 PM
You know, in my experiences the only people who do offer unsolicited advice are non-coaches who just want to share what works for them.
I'm a budding coach and I've been told I cannot approach a player to discuss perceived faults. He/she should come to me.
But I do find it frustrating when I'm helping someone and other well-meaning bowlers offer their words of wisdom; usually contrary to everything I've been trying to show that person.
I suppose they are just trying to be helpful.
Cheers
;)

moosc
03-03-2009, 02:46 PM
The first commandment to a student...thou shall worship no other god but me! :grin:

Neil W

Swifty
03-03-2009, 02:46 PM
I often tell new bowlers that they will be bombarded with advice. All they can do is take what works FOR THEM and ignore the rest.

Chalks1971
03-03-2009, 03:02 PM
I often tell new bowlers that they will be bombarded with advice. All they can do is take what works FOR THEM and ignore the rest.

I was told when I was first learning to listen only to the coach, everyone else thinks theyre helping you out, but politely let them know that so-and-so is your coach.

Scottie
03-03-2009, 11:23 PM
You know, in my experiences the only people who do offer unsolicited advice are non-coaches who just want to share what works for them.
I'm a budding coach and I've been told I cannot approach a player to discuss perceived faults. He/she should come to me.
But I do find it frustrating when I'm helping someone and other well-meaning bowlers offer their words of wisdom; usually contrary to everything I've been trying to show that person.
I suppose they are just trying to be helpful.
Cheers
;)
I'm sure that's the philosophy that Mick Malthouse abides by too!

If you are a member of a Club's side, you should be under the guidence/command of the Club's coach.

I have never been able to understand what it is about the game/bowlers that bowls is the only sport in the world where everyone - from the old hacker who has been making the same mistakes for 40yrs, to the novice who has had one social game - are experts on the game and don't see any need for a coach.

Hell! If it is good enough for Tiger Woods and Roger Federer to have a coach to improve their game, I'm sure you and I can always learn and improve our game with some coaching.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: