PDA

View Full Version : ACT Pennant Finals

Bulldog
30-03-2009, 04:01 PM
They were played on the weekend, anyone know what the results were?

Bulldog
03-04-2009, 09:49 AM
Still no word on the results in details, but here is the bowls act article on who is in the grand finals this weekend:
Source: http://www.bowlsact.org.au/index.php?id=190&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=1248&tx_ttnews[backPid]=189&cHash=3a874aa747

Pennant Grand Finalists Decided
Category: Bowls ACT

Grand finalists have been decided in all seven grades of the Tobin Brothers sponsored ACT Men’s Pennant. The grand finals will be played at Tuggeranong Bowling Club this Sunday (5th April) commencing at 9.00 am with a great day of bowls and entertainment assured.

Gary Willis, Bowls Manager at Tuggeranong and his endless stream of volunteers are working tirelessly to ensure a successful day. “Every effort is being made to make players and spectators feel welcome at Vikings Town Centre for the premier event on the ACT bowls calendar” Willis said.

The host club will play rivals Weston Creek in the top grade at 1.00pm with an intense tussle assured. The Vikings have won the past two encounters between the two clubs but the Wildcats from Weston Creek a renowned for their fighting spirit and should lift for the decider.

Tip: Vikings by 12 shots.

Grade 2 at 9.00 am will again feature the Weston Creek club who clash with the ever improving Canberra City side. Weston Creek are looking to take this year’s title after a disappointing loss to Belconnen in the previous year’s playoff. Canberra City were last years’ grade three premiers and are now looking for a grade two pennant plaque for their trophy cabinet.

Tip: City by 2 shots

Queanbeyan meet northern rivals Belconnen in grade 3 at 1.00 pm. This clash is certain to be tight with both clubs boasting a mix of youth and experience. Belconnen have been dominant in this grade all year and will go into the match as warm favourites however, the Queanbeyan Club has a history of causing upsets so a surprise may be on the cards.

Tip: Belconnen by 8 shots

Belconnen and Queanbeyan will also do battle in Grade 4 at 1.00 pm with the outcome very unpredictable. Both sides have has their ups and downs during the season placing uncertainty on forecasting the result. Belconnen have plenty of depth but may falter against a very experienced Queanbeyan outfit.

Tip: Queanbeyan by 3 shots

Host club Tuggeranong will meet Queanbeyan in grade 5 at 9.00am with both clubs looking to add to their trophy cabinet. Tuggeranong should be hot favourites for the match being minor premiers and having home ground advantage. Queanbeyan are the surprise packets of this grade after a slow start too the season and will give their supporters plenty to cheer about as the match progresses.

Tip: Vikings by 9 shots

Minor premiers ‘the drinkers’ from Weston Creek are firm favourites to win the grade 6 flag to be played at 9.00 am after convincingly defeating grand final opponents Tuggeranong at Tuggeranong earlier in the season. However, you cannot rule out Tuggeranong who should be bolstered by the support of the home crowd.

Tip: Weston Creek by 4 shots

In grade 7 at 9.00 am the fight for the flag rests between Tuggeranong and Canberra City with either side capable of victory. Tuggeranong will go into the match full of confidence after their major semi final win last Sunday against their grand final opponents however, Canberra City cannot be ruled out as they have a number of experienced skips in their side that may make a difference at crunch time.

Tip: City by 2 shots

Keith Maniac
03-04-2009, 11:55 AM
Thanks for that, Bulldog. That's the sort of input we want. We are an Australia wide forum, contrary to the thinking of some. Info such as this will go a long way to broadening the appeal of the site.

Cheers! :cool:

03-04-2009, 11:57 AM
Thanks Bulldog.

Being from Yass, do you guys have much interaction with the ACT clubs/bowlers? Do you guys play in their tournies and vice versa?

Bulldog
03-04-2009, 12:17 PM
Yeah, cause we are close together, there are often teames from both areas in each other tournaments.
Yass Men are affilliated with the rnswba, whereas the yass women's club are affiliated with the act orginisation. There was apparently talk of the mens club crossing over to the act a few years back, but the motion was defeated at an agm. (from what i've heard, they lost about 10 members over it).

I used to play for weston creek many moons ago, and still know many of the players from the act as a result, thus my interest in their comp.

Weston creek used to be the strongest club in the act with stars such as garry willis, adam jefferies etc. But about 5 years ago from memory when the club was experiencing some admin & financial problems, Garry (who was the greenkeeper at the creek), landed a bowls co-ordinators job at tuggeranong, which signalled a reshuffling of players, and about half of the creek's top side left to play at tuggers over the next few seasons.

That sort of formula (poor financial times, admin squabbles, players leaving) would have spelled disaster for alot of other clubs, however it looks like the creek still remains competitive with a number of teams in the grand finals.

I wish them luck!

Chalks1971
03-04-2009, 12:23 PM
Trentan must be under a media ban leading upto the finals, where are you big fella?

Bulldog
03-04-2009, 12:34 PM
Yeah, i was hoping he might be able to provide some details!

Bulldog
07-04-2009, 01:46 PM
Finally some ACT Pennant Results!

Courtesy Bowls ACT Website
http://www.bowlsact.org.au/index.php?id=190&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=1281&tx_ttnews[backPid]=189&cHash=20a3cf07b4

Back to Back for Tuggies
Category: Bowls ACT

Tuggeranong Vikings have made it back to back No.1 pennant titles after their 66 shots to 47 victory over the Weston Creek Wildcats in the Tobin Brothers Men's Pennant grand final played on Sunday at Tuggeranong.

In an intense battle, played in front of a very vocal crowd the Vikings jumped away to an early lead and never looked back during their title defence.

The Wildcats were tenacious in defeat fighting back in the middle portion of the match, but the slow start proved to be their downfall. Tuggeranong will now play in the 2009 Australian Premier League final to be played later in the year.

A thrilling end was witnessed in the Grade 2 final with the scores locked at 51 all going into the last end. Weston Creek held shot when the players crossed for the skips to play.

Canberra City skip Bob Howse drew the shot with his first bowl to place enormous pressure on his opposition skip.

Weston Creek's Bob 'Bo Bo' Ballard was up to the task and drew a resting toucha to virtually seal the result for Weston Creek with both skips having one bowl to play.

Howse tried valiantly to remove Ballard's bowl but to no avail and 2008 runners up Weston Creek took the title 52 shots to 51.

In grade 3, Queanbeyan were victorious over Belconnen 59 shots to 54. In an enthralling match Belconnen skipped away to an early lead and looked the winners after completion of two thirds of the match.

Huge conversion shots by Queanbeyan skips Jamie Delaney and club President Bill Philp saw Queanbeyan score multiple scores of four or more on consecutive ends to take the lead with ends running out for Belconnen. Belconnen tried to fight back but were unable to bridge the gap.

Queanbeyan and Belconnen were also opponents in grade 4 with a similar result to the grade 3 match. Belconnen were early leaders but Queanbeyan chipped away at the lead to take victory 57 shots to 47.

Queanbeyan weren't so fortunate in grade 5 losing to minor premiers Tuggeranong 66 shots to 60. Tuggeranong were always in control of the match and were never headed on their way to victory. The Queanbeyan boys kept toiling but were no match for the locals.

The players from Weston Creek lived up to their nickname back at the club after their emphatic win over Tuggeranong in the grade 6 final. In a close match Weston Creek proved too strong for Tuggeranong over the oncluding ends winning 62 shots to 50 giving Weston Creek its second title.

Tuggeranong Vikings took out the grade 7 grand final 59 shots to 56 over the hapless Canberra City to grab the club's third flag .

Once again City was denied success in a thrilling contest. Both sides battled hard throughout the match with the lead changing on numerous occasions but the boys wearing the red and black kept their nerve to take the title.

Bulldog
07-04-2009, 01:54 PM
Courtesy Bowls ACT Website
http://www.bowlsact.org.au/fileadmin/us ... Finals.pdf (http://www.bowlsact.org.au/fileadmin/user_upload/bowls_act/Events/Men_s_Pennant/2009_Pennant_Results_-_Grand_Finals.pdf)

Tobin Brothers ACT Men’s Pennant Results – Grand Finals
5th April 2009

No. 1 Pennant
Tuggeranong 66 def. Weston Creek 47
D. Owens, J. Dean, W. Harmer & P. Bowman (WC) 17
def.
K. Templeton, P. Collins, A. Howie & G. Willis (TV) 15
S. Stuart, G. Gibson, R. Lindbeck & C. O’Connor (TV) 26
def.
G. Howie, I. Whybrow, A. Monfries & T. McInnes (WC) 11
R. Craven, B. Howie, T. Healey & A. Jeffery (TV) 25
def.
M. Bateman, B. Waugh, D. Jeffery & G. Charker (WC) 19

No. 2 Pennant
Weston Creek 52 def. Canberra City 51
D. Wolihof, C. Gilbert, I. Heuston & R. Howse (City) 18
def.
A. Pirnke, M. Crosbie, R. Harrigan & R. Ballard (WC) 15
M. Kelly, D. Farr, M. Farr & R. Knight (WC) 20
def.
G. Clark, T. Wilson, K. Dowrick & D. Travato (City) 14
P. Hudson, B. Mullins, M. Schipp & J. Gerakiteys (City) 19
def.
P. Tormey, P. Dillon, K. Antoine & D. Maloney (WC) 17

No. 3 Pennant
Queanbeyan 59 def. Belconnen 54
T. Ridley, C. Tosic, B. Keegan & M. Wagland (Belc) 27
def.
I. Geary, A. O’Sullivan, S. Murton & W. McLennan (Qbn) 12
B. Moon, R. Jackson, G. Huntly & J. Delaney (Qbn) 25
def.
W. Donovan, L. Collier, D. Gordon & W. Watts (Belc) 8
J. Wynd, S. Vucago, L. Penman & W. Philp (Qbn) 22
def.
L. Kenyon, D. Aherne, P. Crumblin & D. Blair (Belc) 19

No.4 Pennant
Queanbeyan 57 def. Belconnen 47
I. Lane, D. Walsh, J. King & A. Braakman (Qbn) 20
def.
W. Newberry, L. Berry, R. McNamara & T. Bryant (Belc) 18
G. Cash, D. Paul, D. Van Reesch & M. Jennings (Qbn) 18
def.
B. Tosic, G. Vandermay, J. Stewart & J. Dickason (Belc) 13
S. Scanlon, D. Hill, B. Blundell & I. Huntly (Qbn) 19
def.
N. Davies, G. McCarthy, L. Cornish & D. Byars (Belc) 16

No. 5 Pennant
Tuggeranong 66 def. Queanbeyan 60
B. Smith, J. Evans, E. Wood & B. Freebody (TV) 21
def.
C. Stumbles, J. Dicker, D. Caldwell & R. Stumbles (Qbn) 15
P. Smith, P. McEvoy, G. Walsh, G. Ordish (Qbn) 25
def.
N. White, G. Roberts, R. Kropp & S. Banks (TV) 10
G. Mein, R. Parr, A. White & J. Zimoch (TV) 35
def.
K. Brearley, P. Roscoe, J. Howell & T. Anderson (Qbn) 20

No. 6 Pennant
Weston Creek 62 def. Tuggeranong 50
M. Rich, J. Brooks, W. Wilson & M. Barnsley (WC) 25
def.
C. Glover, A. Craven, L. Hegedus & H. Frey (TV) 12
J. Mason, T. Fardell, G. Rowbottom & W. O’Connor (WC) 18
def.
W. Batchelor, I. White, T. Spaven & M. Fogarty (TV) 17
P. Gerbich, J. Howarth, P. French & J. McGregor (TV) 21
def.
A Woods, J. Fawthrop, M. Woodward & P. Clark (WC) 19

No. 7 Pennant
Tuggeranong 59 def. Canberra City 56
N. Mullins, S. Wilson, D. Neit & N. Dewhurst (TV) 22
drew
R. Rooks, K. Shirey, T. Whitty & D. Lindsay (City) 22
G. Braument, J. Kearslake, B. Clarke & F. Southwell (TV) 19
def.
D. Franklin, T. Parker, D. Nancarrow & T. Cairne (City) 13
R. Canning, R. Brewis, H. Schreeberge & J. Davis (City) 21
def.
M. Kemp, J. Wagus, H. Tronoon & T. Robinson (TV) 18

07-04-2009, 04:00 PM
Tell me Bulldog. In the Grade 3 Pennant in the Queanbeyan side. Is the S. Vucago mentioned there, Sam Vucago, ex Canberra Raiders and Queanbeyan Blues Rugby League player?

Bulldog
07-04-2009, 04:21 PM
Sorry I don't know about that one. Perhaps Trentan might know?

Trentan
07-04-2009, 04:24 PM
Yeah there a few of the league / union greats scattered in the Bowls throughout ACT!

Trentan
07-04-2009, 04:25 PM
And yes, no comment on any finals, pennants or clubs... (Or else...)

On a side note, anyone going to Forbes (besides psst hahah!)

psst
07-04-2009, 04:41 PM
Yep, I'll be able to pick you out. You will be standing alongside that new slim man, Coxie. :lol: :lol: :lol:

trundler
08-04-2009, 09:52 AM
He'll be the one wearing brown shoes!

Chalks1971
08-04-2009, 09:58 AM
Yep, I'll be able to pick you out. You will be standing alongside that new slim man, Coxie. :lol: :lol: :lol:

When are you heading over Tone? Im heading to Canberra for the weekend, might make Forbes the overnight stay on the Thursday.

psst
08-04-2009, 10:18 AM

When are you heading over Tone? Im heading to Canberra for the weekend, might make Forbes the overnight stay on the Thursday.

You'll be sorry, got my mobile ?

Chalks1971
08-04-2009, 10:40 AM

You'll be sorry, got my mobile ?

Better msg it to me again, must of lost it when I changed phones.

So you will be there Thurs?

Trentan
08-04-2009, 01:03 PM
I'll be there thursday night Chalks, I can actually drink this time :smile:

Chalks1971
08-04-2009, 02:11 PM

Ill bring plenty of pocket change for your OJ & packet of chips.

Dropping in will depend on the missus, going away for a dirty w/e might not involve getting on the piss with the fellas on the way - will have to check with the rule book - which pages should I be quoting Uncle?

psst
08-04-2009, 08:00 PM

Ill bring plenty of pocket change for your OJ & packet of chips.

Dropping in will depend on the missus, going away for a dirty w/e might not involve getting on the piss with the fellas on the way - will have to check with the rule book - which pages should I be quoting Uncle?

Uncle, where are you? Young John needs an important ruling :smile: :smile: :smile: