PDA

View Full Version : Are Barefoot and Corporate Bowls damaging greens?

09-12-2007, 07:17 PM
Whilst they are a reasonable fundraiser for clubs are these events doing damage to the grass greens they are being played on?
Many of the participants have little or no knowledge of the game and for many also its just an excuse for a pissup so could this be part of the degradation of some greens at clubs which usually have very good surfaces?
maybe our greenkeepers have a view?

B2 ROCKET
09-12-2007, 07:30 PM
PERSONLY I DONT THINK SO AS LONG AS YOU TEACH THE NEWBIES HOW TO BOWL PROPERLY IN THE FIRST PLACE

AND IF YOU WANT THE GAME TO MOVE FORWARD THEY HAVE TO START SOMEWHERE SO Y NOT HAVE BIT FUN ALONG THE WAY

SEEN PLENTY OLD BOWLERS DO MORE DAMAGE THAN THE NEWBIES DO

AND AS IM FROM SMALL CLUB OF ONLY 15 MEMBERS & WE HAVE 20 TO 30 EVERY WEEK WHICH ARE MOSTLY SOCIAL MEMBERS

SO IT HELPS THE CLUB MORE THAN IT HINDERS THE GREEN

Scottie
09-12-2007, 08:46 PM
From my (completely and utterly unqualified) opinion, Community/Barefoot/Corporate Bowlers don't damage bowling surfaces (grass, plastic, carpet) and are quite appreciative of caring for the surface if the ground-rules are explained at the beginning of the session.

It is the Old Codgers who are firmly of the belief that their membership entitles them to complain loudly about the state of the green, whilst at the same time they are taking their bowls out of the case and dropping them from hip-height from the bank onto the green.

I shudder watching some of them delivering their bowls from a bolt upright stance. The suggestion that a bowling arm may help their game, as they would not need to bend over to deliver is met with contempt - "I've been bowling like this for years - I'm not going to spend $300-odd on one of those contraptions!"

Then again we have a pretty good bowlers who delivers his drives like one of the Dam Busters bombs. It hits the ground maybe three times before it reaches the head - and consequently leaves three divots.

drawbowler25
10-12-2007, 11:11 AM
The step off zones near the plinths tend top get the most damage. St Kilda have roped these areas off and have the punters playing further out. Barefeet also tends to do more damage than shoes. Using a ramp to show the delivery purpose before going on the green can also assist long term.

dunny
21-12-2007, 06:06 PM
some out there need to learn that greens are not sacred sites and are sporting fields,let the punters enjoy thier game and spend thier hard earned,the flow on effects are good for all and in some cases will save clubs from going under.let the greenkeeper fix up the damage its part of the job

Damo
21-12-2007, 06:26 PM
Whilst they are a reasonable fundraiser for clubs are these events doing damage to the grass greens they are being played on?
Many of the participants have little or no knowledge of the game and for many also its just an excuse for a pissup so could this be part of the degradation of some greens at clubs which usually have very good surfaces?
maybe our greenkeepers have a view?
Frewy would have a better idea than me with this topic at Burwood but the punters are asked to take care and respect the greens. They have a coordinator that runs their matches amongst each other and they get some basic coaching on how to deliver the bowl and so far (touch wood) they have been fantastic and not damaged any part of the club.

This year more than ever we have had function after function at the club due to the efforts of our well loved ( :smile: ) forum member and as someone who has observed the functions and the enjoyment that people are having, the buzz around the club is tremendous.

majmeyer
21-12-2007, 09:56 PM
There are lots of ways to mitigate any damage being done as some have already suggested but mats can also be used. At Melbourne they seem to dedicate a single green to these events which is great if you've got the space. The beginning of the season in the southern states would be a problem on bent but mats will resolve this.

Most players will try to do the right thing and, as someone has already said, most of the REGULAR bowlers have worse technique than the roll ups!

MM

drawbowler25
24-12-2007, 03:37 PM
There are lots of ways to mitigate any damage being done as some have already suggested but mats can also be used. At Melbourne they seem to dedicate a single green to these events which is great if you've got the space. The beginning of the season in the southern states would be a problem on bent but mats will resolve this.

Most players will try to do the right thing and, as someone has already said, most of the REGULAR bowlers have worse technique than the roll ups!

MM

Dump mats are good, but are a pian in the arse to carry back and forward, I would be teaching them how to roll up properly on a ramp first and then let them on to the green. Have done it successfully many times witth groups as large as a hundred. Lawn Bowls Overshoes are a good way of compromising, for footwear. Barefeet cause the most damage, balls and heels and scrunching toes, shoes can be quite expensive, but with the overshoes you pay them off literally with your first booking.

Vic Greenie
25-12-2007, 08:13 AM
some out there need to learn that greens are not sacred sites and are sporting fields,let the punters enjoy thier game and spend thier hard earned,the flow on effects are good for all and in some cases will save clubs from going under.let the greenkeeper fix up the damage its part of the job

Hey Dunny i totally agree, some blokes are too precious.
Let them play, the barefoot bowlers do less damage than the old wednesday social bowlers.

The Edge
28-12-2007, 09:16 AM

Dunny... I like you attitude. :get outa here:

drawbowler25
30-12-2007, 12:37 AM
[quote="dunny.":3irsa2hr]some out there need to learn that greens are not sacred sites and are sporting fields,let the punters enjoy thier game and spend thier hard earned,the flow on effects are good for all and in some cases will save clubs from going under.let the greenkeeper fix up the damage its part of the job

Dunny... I like you attitude. :get outa here:[/quote:3irsa2hr]

We ask members to respect the greens, punters should be educated in the etiquette before they hit the green. Members rights are being eroded by the cash cow principle driving barefoot bowls.

Big Al
30-12-2007, 08:36 PM
Maybe if those members payed an extra 5 bucks a year(try asking) you wouldn't need to rely on bare footers for some extra income, this is half the trouble, some members expect the world for $40 per annum.

Perko
30-12-2007, 08:44 PM
Maybe if those members payed an extra 5 bucks a year(try asking) you wouldn't need to rely on bare footers for some extra income, this is half the trouble, some members expect the world for $40 per annum.its not just green fees its bar trade aswell, a club I work at would lucky to take 2 grand in a fortnight :shock: they had a 3hr bowls funtction just before xmas and took that :cool: they thought how goods this yeah its xmas, now there going out trying to get more bookings, money for jam is now there thinking