PDA

View Full Version : Pennants- 2009/10

Biggsy
15-07-2009, 02:28 PM
Hi all, first post for me.

Just wondering if there have been any major transfers during the winter.
First full season for me next year in the Premier League, playing with the new boys Mosman Park, we've made a few interesting acquisitions that have strengthened the side a little following last years promotion.
Any other interesting movers?

15-07-2009, 02:31 PM
Welcome aboard, Biggsy.

Don't know much about the WA Premier League, but always willing to learn :cool:

Maybe Keith Maniac, Swifty or Scottie can enlighten us.

Enjoy the forum ;)

Swifty
15-07-2009, 02:53 PM
G'day Biggsy.

Go to http://www.osborneparkbc.com.au and check out all the rumours there. Sherro keeps a pretty close eye on all the movements around the place.

And next time you're up Ossy Park way, say g'day and have a drink or three. :cheers:

Biggsy
15-07-2009, 06:18 PM
G'day Biggsy.

Go to http://www.osborneparkbc.com.au and check out all the rumours there. Sherro keeps a pretty close eye on all the movements around the place.

And next time you're up Ossy Park way, say g'day and have a drink or three. :cheers:

thanks Swifty, great website, interesting to see how much movement happens between clubs. Certainly don't get that kind of movement in the UK. What team do you play at Ossy Park?, played your seconds last year in my first ever outdoor game in Aus. Was really impressed by their standard, remember thinking the first team must be really good. How right I was.

Swifty
15-07-2009, 06:34 PM
I've been playing 2nd Div. Got one run in 1 White last year as a fill-in.

I play in 1 Blue on Thursdays.

Keith Maniac
16-07-2009, 11:45 AM
Welcome Biggsy! :get outa here:

If you decide to take a short trip down Esperance way, I'll shout you a few frothies! :mrgreen: :cheers:

Biggsy
17-07-2009, 01:02 PM
I've been playing 2nd Div. Got one run in 1 White last year as a fill-in.

I play in 1 Blue on Thursdays.

not lucky enough to play mid week pennants.
Surprised Osborne Park are not mentioned regarding getting new recruits. Do they pay any of their players?

Biggsy
17-07-2009, 01:03 PM
Welcome Biggsy! :get outa here:

If you decide to take a short trip down Esperance way, I'll shout you a few frothies! :mrgreen: :cheers:

cheers Keith, you never know!!

Scottie
18-07-2009, 11:29 PM
... Surprised Osborne Park are not mentioned regarding getting new recruits. Do they pay any of their players?

You gotta remember Biggsy, that Osborne Park looked like certainty's to win concecutive Premier Div flags until the finals were played. Their Selection Committee are probably of the view that there is not too much tinkering with the side to keep on winning this coming season.

And besides - Sherro is an Osborne Park member, and he will obviously keep any good recruits under wraps.

My totally uninformed tip - don't be particularly shocked if Mark Pasalich lines up in Osborne Park colours.

Swifty
20-07-2009, 01:29 PM
That's one rumour I haven't heard, Scottie! I know Mark walked out on Stirling before the end of the season (haven't heard why), but I haven't heard he's coming to our place. If he did, it's unlikely he'd be playing Premier Div anyway.

Biggsy, there's a couple of our players who get petrol money because they live out in the country, but apart from that we don't pay anyone. People play at Ossy Park because of the fantastic greens and the chance to finish high up on the ladder.

Biggsy
20-07-2009, 02:39 PM
That's one rumour I haven't heard, Scottie! I know Mark walked out on Stirling before the end of the season (haven't heard why), but I haven't heard he's coming to our place. If he did, it's unlikely he'd be playing Premier Div anyway.

Biggsy, there's a couple of our players who get petrol money because they live out in the country, but apart from that we don't pay anyone. People play at Ossy Park because of the fantastic greens and the chance to finish high up on the ladder.

I heard he walked out due to a row over a club comp...at least I think that's how I understood it....might be wrong
Popped into Ossy Park this weekend for a quick practice, green was in excellent shape even at this time of the year. Playing down there in early August in some big tourney, with a couple of guys I don't know (one is called Andrew Jones from Cambridge) and a chap from my club Brad Ball. So looking forward to that and meeting some new faces.
This paying of the players is all new to me coming from the UK so I just wondering how widespread it is.

Swifty
20-07-2009, 03:50 PM
Geez, you know how to pick your partners, I'll give you that! :razz:

As for paying players, some clubs have generous sponsors who pay for a couple of blokes, other clubs find the funds somewhere. Not every club does it, and it's only a couple of players if they do. Which is bloody unfair on the blokes like John Goddard who stay at the one club out of loyalty and love of the club.

Biggsy
20-07-2009, 06:32 PM
Geez, you know how to pick your partners, I'll give you that! :razz:

As for paying players, some clubs have generous sponsors who pay for a couple of blokes, other clubs find the funds somewhere. Not every club does it, and it's only a couple of players if they do. Which is bloody unfair on the blokes like John Goddard who stay at the one club out of loyalty and love of the club.

Yep, Brad said he goes pretty good, Brad goes ok himself so hopefully we'll have enough to carry me through a game or two.
I think money just depends on the bowler. If someone was scraping around for cash then they would probably would go and play wherever the cash was. If John is financially sound then no need to be compromising his enjoyment I guess.
But I just play where I feel part of a good team, which is why I play bowls, Mossie Park are going to chuck me beer and petrol money (i think) for next season but I certainly wouldn't go basing my decision on whether to play there on that. I've been made to feel hugely welcome since I joined mid season and that's the kind of thing I value....bowls is my hobby and I do it for fun

eelynot
20-07-2009, 07:26 PM
Oh come on you blokes , surely we can go back to the thread is it pennant or pennants or penance

Swifty
21-07-2009, 10:28 AM
In WA we have a pennant for every division, so here it's pennants.

We only do penance when we drop an 8. :oops:

Biggsy
21-07-2009, 10:35 AM
Oh come on you blokes , surely we can go back to the thread is it pennant or pennants or penance

It's not off topic.....we were discussing transfers (part of my original question) and within that subject comes the discussion of players moving for money.
Why don't you post something about pennants then. Happy to discuss/learn a thing or two

Swifty
21-07-2009, 04:57 PM
... Surprised Osborne Park are not mentioned regarding getting new recruits. Do they pay any of their players?

You gotta remember Biggsy, that Osborne Park looked like certainty's to win concecutive Premier Div flags until the finals were played. Their Selection Committee are probably of the view that there is not too much tinkering with the side to keep on winning this coming season.

And besides - Sherro is an Osborne Park member, and he will obviously keep any good recruits under wraps.

My totally uninformed tip - don't be particularly shocked if Mark Pasalich lines up in Osborne Park colours.

You were right, Scottie. It WAS totally uninformed. He's going to South Perth. :smile: :smile: :smile:

Biggsy
21-07-2009, 05:14 PM

Scottie, wasn't suggesting the Osborne need to recruit, it just struck me as surprising that no players were linked to them in the winter. It looks a fabulous club, i only joined Mosman Park because of circumstances, without those circumstances I would have looked around and almost definitely plumped for Ossie Park.....(making the first team though would have been a challenge :lol: )

Biggsy
23-07-2009, 05:34 PM
has the schedule of matches been released yet?

Swifty
27-07-2009, 12:29 PM
has the schedule of matches been released yet?

I know the draft has come to the clubs for comment, but I don't think the final version has been released yet.

king of swing
29-07-2009, 08:19 PM
swifty where is david opie playing this coming year, and with your inside mail can cockburn survive in red or are they doomed, the end of an era

Biggsy
30-07-2009, 11:44 AM
is David Opie playing anywhere?

Keith Maniac
30-07-2009, 12:29 PM
swifty where is david opie playing this coming year, and with your inside mail can cockburn survive in red or are they doomed, the end of an era

I bowled at Cockburn during our stay in Freo, a couple of months back. A friendly, but very cocky club. The way they were talking, they were expecting to continue, what you must say is, an amazing run. I know bugger all about their personnel, but they certainly seemed a confident lot. :mrgreen:

Biggsy
30-07-2009, 02:15 PM
[quote="king of swing":17o7u2zh]swifty where is david opie playing this coming year, and with your inside mail can cockburn survive in red or are they doomed, the end of an era

I bowled at Cockburn during our stay in Freo, a couple of months back. A friendly, but very cocky club. The way they were talking, they were expecting to continue, what you must say is, an amazing run. I know bugger all about their personnel, but they certainly seemed a confident lot. :mrgreen:[/quote:17o7u2zh]

I don't know enough about the players to start making my own judgements but they've lost a number of players. 2 of them skips, and as far as I can gather no real "marque" signings. So given their position last season in the ladder it doesn't suggest they'll be in the top 4.
Possilble relegation? 2 out through the trap door, I have to say Morley look favourites to return to 1 White......I've been told they don't necessarily recruit and I haven't heard of any big hitters joining their ranks. Having played them twice last season they did look light in a couple of areas, nice bunch of lads though so I wish them well.
Who the other side will be is anyones guess, anyone from Cockburn,Cambridge,Mosman and Yokine i assume.

Swifty
03-08-2009, 04:07 PM

I don't have any inside info, mate. I know as much as you do if you've read Sherro's rumours.

I don't play in Red either, so I have no idea (and even less interest, to be honest) of what Cockburn are doing. Sorry.

On a side note, I used to work with a bloke named Cockburn. We called him "Sizzle Dick". :smile:

king of swing
03-08-2009, 05:06 PM
thanks for nothing swifty, glad you only veered off topic for humour. Sounds like you have little time for Cockburn, and really couldnt give a toss if they went down.

Swifty
03-08-2009, 05:31 PM
I do NOT "have little time for Cockburn"! I just don't care. I don't play at Cockburn. I don't play against Cockburn. I don't live anywhere near Cockburn. I don't know anyone who plays at Cockburn. I have absolutely nothing to do with Cockburn. So no, I "couldnt give a toss if they went down", simply because it would have no conceivable effect on me, NOT because I have anything against them. It's just like asking me to care whether Rockingham is relegated out of 6th Division. It ain't gonna happen!

Scottie
03-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Catankerous sod, that Swifty! Only interested in his own Division - obviously.

I've heard that D.Opie is suffering a recurrance of a fairly painful back/leg problem which may sideline him for some time. The game will be poorer if David is not able to play. He is a real gentleman on the green and a superb proponent of the game.

Cockburn will have a tough job in premier Division this season. But I certainly wouldn't write them off. They still have ex-State players of the calibre of Steve 'slammer' Srhoy, Mike Zusman and John Ravlich. Anbd the 'Little Master' Peter Sardelic may well front up again too.

I have the highest regard for the fighting spirit of Cockburn and their 'self-belief in their own ability.
I still shudder when I recall my first game in 1 Red, as a lead. I thought I was playing pretty well at the time, and I reckon that I managed to get at least one of my bowls within a foot of the jack on most ends - yet left my Second down on every end! Cockburn were pretty awe-inspiring in those days - they approached every single game with the certain expectation that they would win.The odd (rare) loss was a real shock to the side, and you could bet that next week's opponents would feel their wrath.

We will see how the cookie crumbles shortly after that start of our Pennant season on 31 October (jeez! That's a long way away)

king of swing
03-08-2009, 06:17 PM
thanks scottie. Guess he just doesnt care. :sad: Guess that will impact on Cambridge, who failed to deliver last year. From reading on sherro mosman pk seem to be the big movers maybe the influx will harm their harmony like it did with Cambridge

Swifty
03-08-2009, 06:51 PM
KoS, you implied that I had some sort of vendetta against Cockburn. I don't. Please don't confuse impartiality with malice.

I care about Red inasmuch as I want Ossy Park to win. Who they play to get that win is immaterial. So I don't care if Cockburn go down, because I have no feelings for or against them. They're just another speed hump on the way to Ossy Park's next title. If they go down, someone else will be there for Saints to beat. It doesn't matter to me.

And I know nothing about what's happening at Cockburn, so I'm not in any position to predict how they'll go.

You asked me a simple question, I replied that I don't know. From that you somehow inferred that I had something against the club, which I denied. If you want to take umbrage at any of that, it's your problem, not mine.

See you on the green, mate. :cheers:

king of swing
03-08-2009, 07:47 PM
at no stage did I use the word vendetta, and you confirmed you dont care if they go down or not, so no umberage taken, but where on gods green earth you were able to pull me implying you had a vendetta is beyond me. Dont try to read something into it that just wasnt there. And like you said if you have a problem with that its your problem not mine. Good luck to you and the saints, and yes until the green.

Swifty
04-08-2009, 12:22 PM
thanks for nothing swifty, glad you only veered off topic for humour. Sounds like you have little time for Cockburn, and really couldnt give a toss if they went down.

When you say "Thanks for nothing", that sounds to me like you've taken umbrage at what I said. And when you say "Sounds like you have little time for Cockburn", that seems to me like you think I have something against them.

It was the tone of that post that put me off. Maybe you didn't mean it the way I took it. If that's the case, I apologise.

How about we call it a misunderstanding and put it behind us? I don't know you well enough to want to fight with you. :mrgreen:

king of swing
04-08-2009, 01:14 PM
a written thanks for nothing has no sound, so where you got sound from is beyond me, but thats for you.And on a more serious note Im glad you did apologise, because I could not have gone another night with the worry and anguish you caused, got no sleep, and very grumpy until now. Put what behind who, and I promise not to raise it again with you until Cockburn are in your div or you know someone from Rockingham, opps Cockburn.

Swifty
04-08-2009, 01:31 PM
OK, if you want to be a smartarse, apology retracted. Maybe I DO know you well enough to fight with you.

You asked a simple question, I replied quite reasonably, and all of a sudden you're ripping into me. I've got no idea what brought that on, but if you want to give it out I'll give it back to you. And I won't bother with the sarcasm either.

Keith Maniac
04-08-2009, 01:40 PM
:security: :security: :security: :security:

Righto chaps. Maybe we are getting just a little off topic! :roll:

Swifty
04-08-2009, 01:52 PM
Well, I tried to make peace with the prick, but all I get in return is a mouthful of sarcastic crap.

Never mind, after tomorrow I'll be off for 3 weeks. Maybe by the time I get back I'll have calmed down a bit.

I'll leave this thread until then.

Keith Maniac
04-08-2009, 01:57 PM
Well, I tried to make peace with the prick, but all I get in return is a mouthful of sarcastic crap.

Never mind, after tomorrow I'll be off for 3 weeks. Maybe by the time I get back I'll have calmed down a bit.

Off to where? Coming down to Esperance for the Winter Pairs, eh? :mrgreen:

king of swing
04-08-2009, 02:23 PM
I asked you about Cockburn in bowls clown, not if you knew anyone down there, not if you had a house down there, not if you played them, not if you had anything to do with down there, about bowls. and you want to talk about sarcasm. as for what I am you would be the expert on them wouldnt you, and it was suggested you get back on topic, good to see you misread that to, is that your strong suit. Enjoy your three weeks, hope you learn some manners whilst you are away, A suggestion of being off topic needs to be policed, not ignored, and then going on with some enjoyable banter

Keith Maniac
04-08-2009, 02:44 PM
You seem to have a bee in your bonnet, Swinger! How about we give it a rest and get back to the topic? Otherwise, the thread will be closed! :security: :security: :security: :security:

Swifty
04-08-2009, 02:45 PM

Just getting away from the phones at work. Unfortunately, I've just paid my Water and Council rates, so I can't afford to go anywhere. :cry:

Keith Maniac
04-08-2009, 02:49 PM

Just getting away from the phones at work. Unfortunately, I've just paid my Water and Council rates, so I can't afford to go anywhere. :cry:

Too bad. :cry:

Anyway, getting back on topic, are the lads at Ossie Park feeling confident this season? They are good bunch and I wish them well. I've also met a number of blokes from Cockburn and they are a good bunch, too. I wish them well as well.

Biggsy
04-08-2009, 02:57 PM
thanks scottie. Guess he just doesnt care. :sad: Guess that will impact on Cambridge, who failed to deliver last year. From reading on sherro mosman pk seem to be the big movers maybe the influx will harm their harmony like it did with Cambridge

It's fair to say that Mosman have done some reasonably high profile recruiting....which can lead to problems.
I don't honestly see any dis-harmony coming this season, as the 4 significant recruits are replacing players whom are either no longer with Mosman or players who fully understand our need to strengthen. Our expectations for the season are for one of consolidation, I think pushing on after that can cause complications if you get a bad mix of characters.

king of swing
04-08-2009, 03:24 PM
biggsy, i understand it doesnt start until October, but can you stay up, are you a chance for the four, seem to remember wanneroo, I think, doing alright in there first year up, all the best, and I cant imagine a better looking place to get beat than your place

Swifty
04-08-2009, 03:36 PM

Anyway, getting back on topic, are the lads at Ossie Park feeling confident this season? They are good bunch and I wish them well. I've also met a number of blokes from Cockburn and they are a good bunch, too. I wish them well as well.

I think the loss in the finals after leading by so much for so long might have been a bit hard on them. Hopefully it will make them keep up the concentration and hard work for a bit longer this season.

It's strange, but I haven't heard ANY rumours at all about who we might pick up this year. Usually there's all sorts of stories floating around, but I haven't heard a thing so far. I know Pat Caffell will be away all season cavorting around Australia, and Gary Caffell certainly won't start the season, if he plays at all, after having a knee replacement. But no word yet on who will replace them.

Keith Maniac
04-08-2009, 04:29 PM

I think the loss in the finals after leading by so much for so long might have been a bit hard on them. Hopefully it will make them keep up the concentration and hard work for a bit longer this season.

It's strange, but I haven't heard ANY rumours at all about who we might pick up this year. Usually there's all sorts of stories floating around, but I haven't heard a thing so far. I know Pat Caffell will be away all season cavorting around Australia, and Gary Caffell certainly won't start the season, if he plays at all, after having a knee replacement. But no word yet on who will replace them.

Hopefully, that loss should spur them on for '09-'10.

Good luck Swifty! :cheers:

Swifty
04-08-2009, 04:55 PM
There you go! Just been on Sherro's site, and apparently we've picked up Mitch Biglin from Kalamunda.

Can't be too good. I beat him in a pairs game a few months ago! :mrgreen:

But really, he's a nice bloke and a good bowler. Don't know if he'll take the vacant skip job, though.

farmer
05-08-2009, 07:50 AM
There you go! Just been on Sherro's site, and apparently we've picked up Mitch Biglin from Kalamunda.

Can't be too good. I beat him in a pairs game a few months ago! :mrgreen:

But really, he's a nice bloke and a good bowler. Don't know if he'll take the vacant skip job, though.

You will have to watch comments like this Swifty, Robbo will be on to you. :smile: :smile: :smile:

Good luck with the season guys and hopefully Sherro will run his tipping competition again. It is a great idea and hopefully you and Bigsy can give us a bit more inside info.

Swifty
01-09-2009, 01:03 PM
We've also just picked up Scotty Edmonds. He'll be a real boost for us.

Sorry KoS, I still don't know what's happening at Cockburn. :twisted:

Keith Maniac
01-09-2009, 03:55 PM

You funny bugger, Swifty! :smile: :smile:

Swifty
01-09-2009, 03:57 PM
Just trying to answer the question he asked me, Keith. :mrgreen:

Keith Maniac
01-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Just trying to answer the question he asked me, Keith. :mrgreen:

You could always duck down there on a Friday night. They do a reasonable cheap feed. Then you could find out for him, all in the "Spirit of Bowlsworld"! :mrgreen: :smile: :smile:

I'll go now. :cheers:

Swifty
01-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Nah, I don't think so. It's taken me all this time to find out what's happening at my own club.

Besides, I'm just not interested, remember? :smile:

Cheers! :cheers:

Keith Maniac
01-09-2009, 04:25 PM
Nah, I don't think so. It's taken me all this time to find out what's happening at my own club.

Besides, I'm just not interested, remember? :smile:

Cheers! :cheers:

Have an excellent season, cobber! :get outa here:

And, this time it looks like I might be able to get to Country Week. Got a spare bed? :mrgreen:

Swifty
01-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Unfortunately, no. My unit's not big enough for luxuries like that. The spare room's full of essential things like my library and wine cellar. :mrgreen: :cheers:

Keith Maniac
01-09-2009, 04:46 PM
Unfortunately, no. My unit's not big enough for luxuries like that. The spare room's full of essential things like my library and wine cellar. :mrgreen: :cheers:

That's fine. But, I'll give you a hand, if you like, to clear a space for the next bloke by drinking a bit of your cellar! :get outa here:

Biggsy
01-09-2009, 05:50 PM

Not seen Scotty Edmonds play yet Swifty but the CV says it all. Sounds like a great signing.
Seems a shame for Yokine, might actually have a bearing on Cockburn survival chances?

I am still amazed how often players move clubs in WA, i can see WHY it happens....just surprised it happens so frequently
3 weeks ago I was chatting to Matt Ellul about the recruiting that South Perth had done and how much he was looking forward to the season....the next thing I know I'm sitting having a beer with him welcoming him to Mosman Park (although I'm not complaining).

Swifty
01-09-2009, 06:10 PM
Well, because there's no (or very little) player payments, there's no contract to keep a bloke at a club. Plus there's no formal clearance paperwork required by BowlsWA, so you can move around as much as you like between seasons.

This means that clubs can do whatever they can to lure players to try to improve their chances of success, and players can go wherever they want to chase a bit of glory.

Swifty
21-09-2009, 04:57 PM
Biggsy, did you get to watch any of the Mt Lawley Consistency Singles over the weekend? Would have been a good opportunity for you to catch up with some of the better bowlers in the state.

Biggsy
22-09-2009, 12:26 PM
Biggsy, did you get to watch any of the Mt Lawley Consistency Singles over the weekend? Would have been a good opportunity for you to catch up with some of the better bowlers in the state.

Hi Swifty, no I was playing in the Armadale Split Fours....and happily got carried to victory by Daniel Brown,Steve Withers and Robbie Tiller
I'm down at Ossie Park on Sunday for the 3 bowl pairs with Robbie Tiller, give me a shout if your down there.

Swifty
22-09-2009, 12:50 PM
Not a problem. I'm not playing on Sunday, but I'll be down there at some time during the day. :cheers:

Here's a photo from when Keith Maniac visited. I'm the good looking one on the left, so you'll recognise me. Look for me on the table near the TAB. :mrgreen:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5087&start=30 (http://forums.bowlsworld.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5087&start=30)

Biggsy
23-09-2009, 05:19 PM
just seen the pennant draw. Mosman get Doubleview, Vic Park and Osborne Park in the first 3 games.....I guess we'll learn a bit about ourselves very quickly!!

Swifty
23-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Nothing like diving in the deep end! :mrgreen:

Look at the bright side - you'll have 6 more rounds after that to get some points on the board. :smile:

But seriously, everyone's beatable. If I can knock off blokes like Mitch Biglin, Daniel Patterson and Kyle McIlroy in a pairs tournament earlier this year, there's no reason why your blokes can't cause a bit of an upset. Just forget about who you're up against and play the best you can.

Then as long as your confidence isn't completely destroyed by those first 3 games you'll be OK. :twisted:

Swifty
23-09-2009, 05:45 PM
No idea where I'll be playing yet. We've got a PL, a 1White and a couple of 2nd's. I'll probably be in one of the 2nd's, but hoping to get a run in 1White at some stage (as long as they forget my pathetic effort last season :oops: ).

None of them go down your way, though.

Biggsy
23-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Nothing like diving in the deep end! :mrgreen:

Look at the bright side - you'll have 6 more rounds after that to get some points on the board. :smile:

But seriously, everyone's beatable. If I can knock off blokes like Mitch Biglin, Daniel Patterson and Kyle McIlroy in a pairs tournament earlier this year, there's no reason why your blokes can't cause a bit of an upset. Just forget about who you're up against and play the best you can.

Then as long as your confidence isn't completely destroyed by those first 3 games you'll be OK. :twisted:

I think we are reasonably confident we'll be competitive, we have quite a bit of PL experience at the club which I hope will stand us in good stead....and I guess catching the better teams earlier in the season might work in our favour. Guess we'll wait and see!!

Swifty
29-09-2009, 05:00 PM
First practice match on Saturday. We've got a combined 1st Div side going to Wanneroo. Probably won't find out till Thursday whether I've got a run in it. The rest are just playing amongst themselves.

There's another practice on the 10th, then the Club Champ 4s are on 17th and 18th, with practice for those not involved in that. The following weekend is our big fund-raising weekend. Then we're into it.

Biggsy and Scottie (and any others out there), what are you doing for practice. Are you any more organised than we are?

Scottie
29-09-2009, 06:25 PM
... Biggsy and Scottie (and any others out there), what are you doing for practice. Are you any more organised than we are?
Probably not - but then my Club doesn't have a Premier Division to sweat about.

We have our first practice this Saturday (I think against Mills Park). Then there are practice games penned in for the remaining Saturdays leading up to the fist game of Pennants for the season on 31 October.

I did have a hit-out last week in the two-day carnival at Armidale.
Jeez! I didn't realise how unfit I had become over winter. I was absolutely knackered by the Sunday night. Maybe me still trying to get over this damned cold, combined with playing on Victorian-type greens (one at 11 secs, another at 9 secs, and the carpet at least at 14-15 secs) was what sapped my energy.
Didn't seem to affect Biggsy's mob from Mosman Park though. They won all six of their games by an aggregate of over 100 shots.

My one small consolation from the weekend was that we managed to get hold of your Premier Div Manager (Payney) and his team.

I was looking forward to another two-day hit-out in the middle of October in the Bedford Bowl. Unfortunately, it has been cancelled. I guess primarily because of the untimely demise of Ned Bull who had taken on his shoulders the responsibility for organisation and recruitment of teams.

If you don't crack 1st Div Swifty, we may meet again in the fourth round.
:cheers: :cheers:

Swifty
29-09-2009, 06:35 PM
Have you still got that grumpy old bugger serving behind the bar?

Biggsy
02-10-2009, 12:53 PM
... Biggsy and Scottie (and any others out there), what are you doing for practice. Are you any more organised than we are?
Probably not - but then my Club doesn't have a Premier Division to sweat about.

We have our first practice this Saturday (I think against Mills Park). Then there are practice games penned in for the remaining Saturdays leading up to the fist game of Pennants for the season on 31 October.

I did have a hit-out last week in the two-day carnival at Armidale.
Jeez! I didn't realise how unfit I had become over winter. I was absolutely knackered by the Sunday night. Maybe me still trying to get over this damned cold, combined with playing on Victorian-type greens (one at 11 secs, another at 9 secs, and the carpet at least at 14-15 secs) was what sapped my energy.
Didn't seem to affect Biggsy's mob from Mosman Park though. They won all six of their games by an aggregate of over 100 shots.

My one small consolation from the weekend was that we managed to get hold of your Premier Div Manager (Payney) and his team.

I was looking forward to another two-day hit-out in the middle of October in the Bedford Bowl. Unfortunately, it has been cancelled. I guess primarily because of the untimely demise of Ned Bull who had taken on his shoulders the responsibility for organisation and recruitment of teams.

If you don't crack 1st Div Swifty, we may meet again in the fourth round.

Mosman have a gathering this Saturday, we go to Kardy Kats the following week, and then off to Gin Gin for a weekend for some team bonding.
Armadale was fun wasn't it!!! From synthetic, to bumpy grass, to very heavy grass. But the Mrs enjoyed the cash....but now she expects me to keep winning....mo money mo problems :mad:

Swifty
05-10-2009, 04:57 PM
I went down to the club for a bit of practice on Friday. I've always believed there's a big difference between a roll-up and practice, and it's no good practicing unless you know what it is you're supposed to be practicing. So I tried to work on a couple of things that have been bothering me lately, and came away with a completely new delivery! :shock:

pjsomers
05-10-2009, 05:18 PM
I went down to the club for a bit of practice on Friday. I've always believed there's a big difference between a roll-up and practice, and it's no good practicing unless you know what it is you're supposed to be practicing. So I tried to work on a couple of things that have been bothering me lately, and came away with a completely new delivery! :shock:

:smile: :smile:

Swifty
05-10-2009, 05:22 PM
It was working good on Friday. Fell apart a little on Saturday, though. Still managed to beat a rink with Plucka, Batesy and Pottsy (3 state players) in it, though. :mrgreen:

I'll have to practice a bit more before it becomes automatic. Looks like Friday arvos are taken up for a while.

Scottie
05-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Good on you swifty. At last you have listened to all your frustrated team-mates who have been saying for years:

"Try your other hand Swifty!"

Swifty
05-10-2009, 07:42 PM
Good on you swifty. At last you have listened to all your frustrated team-mates who have been saying for years:

"Try your other hand Swifty!"

If they're the frustrated ones, maybe THEY should be trying the other hand. :twisted:

Scottie
11-10-2009, 07:02 PM
We have now played two inter-club practice games at our Club. They have at least had the effect of bringing a few more Members out of the bar and onto the green for a roll-up.

Only two more Saturdays before the balloon goes up for the start of pennants. Hopefully a good few of our Members will get serious before then.

Personally, have had two good work-outs for two wins (which obviously count for nought when we are practicing).

I'm not too excited about the first game of Pennants though.

Bloody Victoria have enticed half of my team to Melbourne for the Cup!
:listen to me:

Keith Maniac
12-10-2009, 12:44 PM
We have now played two inter-club practice games at our Club. They have at least had the effect of bringing a few more Members out of the bar and onto the green for a roll-up.

Only two more Saturdays before the balloon goes up for the start of pennants. Hopefully a good few of our Members will get serious before then.

Personally, have had two good work-outs for two wins (which obviously count for nought when we are practicing).

I'm not too excited about the first game of Pennants though.

Bloody Victoria have enticed half of my team to Melbourne for the Cup!

It is "The Cup", Scottie. :mrgreen:

Swifty
12-10-2009, 01:34 PM
You managed to get the game in on Saturday, Scottie? We got rained out in the 5th end.

Great news for the bar/TAB turnover for the club, though! :mrgreen: :cheers:

Swifty
21-10-2009, 02:33 PM
Looks like I'm still stuck in 2nd Div.

From Sherro's site:

Osborne Park have named their starting 16 for the opening game of the season when they take on the Wanneroo Express at Osborne Park.

PREMIER LEAGUE 16

J. Goddard (sk),I. Payne, B. Galloway, G. King
D. Rankin(sk), D.Appleton, J. Coleman, R. Lawrence
K. Pickering(sk), C. Fleay, P. Pendergast, B. Couper
S. Edmonds(sk),G. Evans, G. Caffell, G. Nicol

The changes to last season's side are the inclusion of the Rosenthal Medal winner Scott Edmonds who will skipper a rink while Gary Caffell who skippered last season is recovering from a knee operation and will start the season playing as a two

The other change is that of Robert Lawrence who was in last seasons side but dropped himself even tho he was worth his place in the side, (Rob was a selector) Rob has been chosen to lead for Dave Rankin.
Fred DiGuiseppe has been selected to play in the One White side, which is an indication of how hard it is to crack a game in the Premier League side at Osborne Park.
Fred would walk into most other sides in the competition and get a backend spot

ONE WHITE

R.Dewson(sk), B. Boyd,P. Budd, M. Wilhelm.
F. DiGuiseppe(sk), B. Fullagar, J. Krstic, B. Tyrer
D. Eaton(sk),B. Vandersluys,B. Gertig, B. Weir
K. Guelfi(sk), D. Crook, W. Markham,B. McCauliffe

Scottie
21-10-2009, 05:46 PM
Keep at it Swifty.

I'm told on good authority that you played exceptionally well in a beaten team in the Club fours last week.

:get outa here: :get outa here:

Swifty
21-10-2009, 06:26 PM
I'm not one to blow my own trumpet, but the one game I did win was against a former Scottish international. :mrgreen:

Of course, when you've got a third like John Goddard or Gary Caffell, it's hard to go wrong. And when I did need to do something, I just let them tell me what they wanted and gave it a go. :cheers:

pjsomers
22-10-2009, 12:02 AM
I'm not one to blow my own trumpet, but the one game I did win was against a former Scottish international. :mrgreen:

Of course, when you've got a third like John Goddard or Gary Caffell, it's hard to go wrong. And when I did need to do something, I just let them tell me what they wanted and gave it a go. :cheers:

Don't sell yourself short buddy!!! :cheers:

Apart from your avatar, you seem like a really good bloke! :twisted:

(Still haven't replied to any of my PMs though)! :shock:

DWilksy
22-10-2009, 06:29 PM

Don't sell yourself short buddy!!!

I reckon Swifty's got the best avatar on this site! QUEENSLANDER! :mrgreen:

pjsomers
22-10-2009, 11:11 PM
I'm not one to blow my own trumpet, but the one game I did win was against a former Scottish international.

Don't sell yourself short buddy!!!

I reckon Swifty's got the best avatar on this site! QUEENSLANDER! :mrgreen:

The defence rests your honour! :smile:

Swifty
26-10-2009, 04:58 PM
Scottie, are you in 2 Gold? If so, I'll see you in round 4. :cheers:

I'm ready for the season. Over the last few weeks, I've beaten two State players and an International.

Bring on the comp! :get outa here:

(BTW, some people are saying one of the State players doesn't count because it was a woman, but I don't care. A State player is a State player! :mrgreen: )

26-10-2009, 09:01 PM

I'm ready for the season. Over the last few weeks, I've beaten two State players and an International.

(BTW, some people are saying one of the State players doesn't count because it was a woman, but I don't care. A State player is a State player! :mrgreen: )

Robbo gunna git you Swifty.... ;) :listen to me:

pjsomers
26-10-2009, 10:47 PM

He'd bloody better...If I had said that he would have tripped over his fat gut and horrible moustache to execute me!!!

Scottie
27-10-2009, 12:18 AM

Come-on Round four!!

It will be a dee-light to hand over my money to that lil honey you've got pulling beers behind the bar.

(as well as celebrating a good win on Ossie Park's Tiff greens)

:ha ha: :ha ha:

Swifty
27-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Scottie, are you in 2 Gold? If so, I'll see you in round 4.

He'd bloody better...If I had said that he would have tripped over his fat gut and horrible moustache to execute me!!!

Can't argue with facts! :mrgreen:

Swifty
27-10-2009, 12:40 PM
Scottie, are you in 2 Gold? If so, I'll see you in round 4.

Bring on the comp!

Come-on Round four!!

It will be a dee-light to hand over my money to that lil honey you've got pulling beers behind the bar.

(as well as celebrating a good win on Ossie Park's Tiff greens)

:ha ha: :ha ha:

She doesn't work Saturdays. :cry: You'll have to make do with the old battleaxe or one of the blokes. :oops:

pjsomers
27-10-2009, 03:14 PM
She doesn't work Saturdays. :cry: You'll have to make do with the old battleaxe or one of the blokes. :oops:

Scottie just made himself unavailable for round 4! :smile:

farmer
27-10-2009, 03:24 PM

But he will be there for the midweek pennant. :lol: :cheers:

pjsomers
27-10-2009, 03:37 PM

But he will be there for the midweek pennant. :: :cheers:

:smile:

Swifty
28-10-2009, 02:16 PM
Premier League sides announced. Thanks to Sherro for collecting these.

YOKINE

R Hughes (sk), A. Davis, M Lemos, R Bowron.
R Heaton (sk), L. Farrell, J Bills, W Coffey
M Nilson (sk), S. Wright, R Princi, P Turpin
R Stockdon (sk), D. Kellond, I Cartledge, M Gittins

COCKBURN

S. Perica(sk), M. Sokol, G. Carpenter, S. Vassalio
S.Shroy(sk), W. Tepania, J. Spadaro , M.Musulin
M. Kurta(sk), K, Cousins, J. Ravlich, S. West
P. Sardelic(sk), M. Zusman, P Rogers, J. Salameri

MORLEY

P.Aungier(sk), A. Barron, M.Hulbert, M.Callcott
R. Urquhart(sk), S.Stokes, M.Robinson, A.Elmer
W. Neilson(sk), B.Gunson, G.White, T.Ingram
J.Armstrong(sk), B.Urquhart, W.Barker, B.Urquhart

MOSMAN PK

John Rainoldi (sk), ??, Jarrad Rainoldi, R Hawke
Daniel Brown (sk), R. Paxton, R. Anderson, G. Ellis
S. Withers(sk), B. Katurnarich, M. McGann, T. O'Neill
Matt Elull (sk), R. Tiller, M. Bigg, D. Marsland

DOUBLEVIEW

D.Trewhella (sk), J. O'Keefe, C. Slavich, P. Ker
R. Ball (sk), L. Thorn, M. Mitchell, K. Screech
D. Katunarich(sk), G. Carberry, A. Delaporte, Nelson
J. Slavich(sk), P. Buller, J. Bauser, C. Hickman

CAMBRIDGE

B. Calthorpe (sk), P. Harris, W. Maher, B. Kiely
A. Jones(sk), S. Rushforth, G. Kane, C. McKenna
C. Lander(sk), N. Lewis, N. Bolton, M. Trewhella
T.Smallacombe(sk), G. Hawkes,, J. Trewhella, R. Bolton

SOUTH PERTH

Nic Reagan(sk), R. Bresland, G. Reagan, D. Lyons
A. Durrant(sk), J. Carter, K. Pride, T. Kinnane
Travis Vallance(sk), G. Pauling, D. Bandy, S. Kelly
Mark Pasalich(sk), F. Carbone, J. Galipo, M. Hughes

OSBORNE PARK

J. Goddard (sk), I. Payne, B. Galloway, G. King
D. Rankin(sk), D.Appleton, J. Coleman, R. Lawrence
K. Pickering(sk), C. Fleay, P. Pendergast, B. Couper
S. Edmonds(sk), G. Evans, G. Caffell, G. Nicol

Maybe Biggsy can fill in the missing third in John Rainoldi's rink.

Keith Maniac
28-10-2009, 02:22 PM
COCKBURN

Is that former Vic Premier player Matty Kurta? If so, I wish him all the best. :cheers:

farmer
28-10-2009, 02:34 PM
Is Rhett Butler still playing in the West. I noticed he is not in any PL side or is he in White.

Swifty
28-10-2009, 02:34 PM
COCKBURN

Is that former Vic Premier player Matty Kurta? If so, I wish him all the best. :cheers:

Yep, that's him.

Swifty
28-10-2009, 02:35 PM
Is Rhett Butler still playing in the West. I noticed he is not in any PL side or is he in White.

As far as I know he's still here. Playing at Victoria Park, I think. So he must be in White.

Keith Maniac
28-10-2009, 02:41 PM

As far as I know he's still here. Playing at Victoria Park, I think. So he must be in White.

Rhett was here in Esperance not that long ago. He had a couple of rolls here. I remember him, mainly because of his name. I asked him if his parents had been big fans of "Gone With the Wind". :mrgreen:

Robbo
28-10-2009, 03:04 PM

Rhett was here in Esperance not that long ago. He had a couple of rolls here. I remember him, mainly because of his name. I asked him if his parents had been big fans of "Gone With the Wind". :mrgreen:

What was his respone Keefy? :mrgreen:

Keith Maniac
28-10-2009, 03:13 PM
What was his response Keefy? :mrgreen:

He said it was by pure accident. It was only later on that they realised their blue. :smile:

Scottie
28-10-2009, 03:34 PM

Of course Rhett is still playing in the West - in Premier div. It's just that Victoria Park are playing silly buggers in not announcing their starting line-up. But you can bet London to a brick on that Rhett will be a Skip in Vic Park's Premier Div side.

farmer
29-10-2009, 08:00 AM
ahhh didn't realise not all the sides were listed.

Good bowling to all the Westeners in there pennant this year.

Keith Maniac
01-11-2009, 11:59 AM
First round of the local comp was played yesterday. Not a good day for our lot. Three rinks down by a fair bit with the remaining rink winning by 21 shots. Still, we were somewhat depleted in the personnel stakes, with a number of last season's regulars being unavailable for various reasons. Congrats to the Condy boys. They got us again!

By the way, Robbo. In case you were wondering, mine was the winning rink. :mrgreen:

Swifty
02-11-2009, 02:15 PM
It's been a mixed week. I'm in 2 Gold both Thursdays (as a skip! :shock: ) and Saturdays (as a third).

On Thursday we won on all rinks, and I won my game 21-9. Great way to start the season! :get outa here:

Then Saturday we went up the hill to Kalamunda, playing on a carpet that had only been installed last week, in a wind that was swinging around 360 degrees. Went down 22-11, and only got one point overall. :oops: :cry:

Ms Honey
02-11-2009, 03:04 PM
Well .. over in Perth Mosman Park took on Double View who won the pennant last year .. and won by 12 shots winning on 3 rinks so took 7 points to 1!! Mosman park were very happy! :get outa here:

Keith Maniac
02-11-2009, 03:07 PM
Well .. over in Perth Mosman Park took on Double View who won the pennant last year .. and won by 12 shots winning on 3 rinks so took 7 points to 1!! Mosman park were very happy! :get outa here:

Doing bowls reports now, Ms?!! :shock:

You have settled in! :mrgreen: :cheers:

Ms Honey
02-11-2009, 03:08 PM
Well done to Biggsy who was moved up to play 3 only a couple of days before the game ... and strangely the 3 rinks that won all had Poms playing at 3 ... :grin:

Whoop whoop .. Come on the Brits!!!! :mrgreen:

Scottie
02-11-2009, 03:09 PM
Just about the same as me Swifty.

In our newly promted midweek side, had a good win on all rinks.

On Saturday, we were flogged, getting only one rink win. I got a terrible hiding on my rink. But I did have a (lame) excuse in that half my team shote through to Melbourne. At least they picked up a quid or two on Scenic Shot on Saturday.

I sure hope we are performing better by the fourth round!

:cry: :oops: :cry:

Ms Honey
02-11-2009, 03:11 PM

You have settled in!

it was a very good win for them and i good way to start the season .... The party after was something to remember :smile: Or not in the case of Robbie Tiller .. who fell asleep in the car on the way home half way through writing a text and forgot completely that he got his bits out for everyone to see half way through the evening :smile: And Ryan Hawk who, swallowed a 20c coin that someone had put in his glass cos he forgot it was there and gulped his beer down!!!! :smile:

Keith Maniac
02-11-2009, 03:14 PM
[quote="Keith Maniac":tfd01c83]

You have settled in!

it was a very good win for them and i good way to start the season .... The party after was something to remember :smile: Or not in the case of Robbie Tiller .. who fell asleep in the car on the way home half way through writing a text and forgot completely that he got his bits out for everyone to see half way through the evening :smile: And Ryan Hawk who, swallowed a 20c coin that someone had put in his glass cos he forgot it was there and gulped his beer down!!!! :smile:[/quote:tfd01c83]

Ooohh! That's gonna hurt coming out! :smile:

Swifty
02-11-2009, 04:09 PM
[quote="Ms Honey":1l5j4pfl][quote="Keith Maniac":1l5j4pfl]
Doing bowls reports now, Ms?!!

You have settled in!

it was a very good win for them and i good way to start the season .... The party after was something to remember :smile: Or not in the case of Robbie Tiller .. who fell asleep in the car on the way home half way through writing a text and forgot completely that he got his bits out for everyone to see half way through the evening :smile: And Ryan Hawk who, swallowed a 20c coin that someone had put in his glass cos he forgot it was there and gulped his beer down!!!! :smile:[/quote:1l5j4pfl]

Ooohh! That's gonna hurt coming out! :smile:[/quote:1l5j4pfl]

He could go and spend a penny and make a profit! :smile:

Swifty
02-11-2009, 04:10 PM
Just about the same as me Swifty.

In our newly promted midweek side, had a good win on all rinks.

On Saturday, we were flogged, getting only one rink win. I got a terrible hiding on my rink. But I did have a (lame) excuse in that half my team shote through to Melbourne. At least they picked up a quid or two on Scenic Shot on Saturday.

I sure hope we are performing better by the fourth round!
:cry: :oops: :cry:

You'll need to! :twisted:

Ms Honey
02-11-2009, 11:32 PM
Actual team that played for Mosman Park as follows

MOSMAN PK

John Rainoldi (sk),B. Katurnarich , Jarrad Rainoldi, Ryan Hawke
Daniel Brown (sk), R. Paxton (Pom), R. Anderson, D Teague
S. Withers(sk), Martin Biggs (Biggsy, Pom), M. McGann, T. O'Neill
Matt Elull (sk), R. Tiller (Pom), G Ellis, P McGuirk

Chalks1971
03-11-2009, 09:07 AM
did you have a boatload of Poms wash up there?

Swifty
03-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Bloody boat people! I blame Rudd! :twisted:

Scottie
03-11-2009, 12:25 PM
Bloody boat people! I blame Rudd! :twisted:
Blame Rudd especially for those boat people that washed up near Wanneroo and stuck it right up Osborne Park on Saturday!

Swifty
03-11-2009, 01:18 PM
Early days yet, Scottie. We're pacing ourselves. :mrgreen:

Swifty
04-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Bloody typical! Only the second week of the season and my rink's totally changed already. :cry:

Got to break in a new third and second on Thursday. They've got a lot to live up to after last week. :mrgreen:

Keith Maniac
04-11-2009, 11:01 PM
Bloody typical! Only the second week of the season and my rink's totally changed already. :cry:

Got to break in a new third and second on Thursday. They've got a lot to live up to after last week. :mrgreen:

Changes are hard to handle sometimes, especially in team sports. Getting used to your team mates (and all that entails) is an extremely important part of eventual success, at any level. So, fluctuating selections, for whatever reason, can easily unsettle any team. In bowls, it usually comes down to "just bowling". In unfamiliar surroundings, just do whatever the skip says, in whatever position you are picked, even though you would normally play a completely different shot and then folks ...

LET YOUR BOWLS DO THE TALKING!!!

As a skip with a changing rink, I'd suggest that anyone do the same thing. When it comes down to it, nobody ever, willingly, puts down a bad bowl. In these circumstances of fluctuation, it only takes one member of any rink to be positive and it will rub off, to some extent. Ideally, "Mr Positive" would be the skip, but we are all well aware of the number of "characters" in all sports, let alone bowls, that can carry people with them for a myriad of reasons. Identify those people and you're half way there, I reckon.
:get outa here:

Ms Honey
04-11-2009, 11:06 PM
did you have a boatload of Poms wash up there?

Actually .. they did some very good recruiting :get outa here: Biggsy and Tiller were there last year

pjsomers
05-11-2009, 12:26 AM

They changed our rinks around 2 weeks ago and it has gelled perfectly...Some people react better with other people.

As our coaches said, "We've got the talent, we just have to make it click". :get outa here:

Keith Maniac
08-11-2009, 12:08 PM
We are on the board! Travelled the 50k to Scaddan (usually a bit of a bogie venue for us) and came away with the overall win with 3 rinks up, 1 down. Unfortunately, the losing rink was mine. Oh well, last week we were the only winning rink. It was a tight affair all day, but a dropped 5 on 1 end, with about 4 to go, killed us. We lost by 5. :cry:

Still, it was a very good effort from a still depleted side. All positive! :cheers:

Scottie
08-11-2009, 02:12 PM
After losing three rinks to one in the first game of the season last week (and my rink getting an absolute belting), it was a relief to win three rinks to one. And my rink got the pots - thanks to the return of half my team from the Melbourne Cup!

Some tough games coming up, though. Especially in a fortnight when we play Osborne Park is a part of the double-header weekend (watch out Swifty!)

pjsomers
08-11-2009, 04:40 PM
After losing three rinks to one in the first game of the season last week (and my rink getting an absolute belting), it was a relief to win three rinks to one. And my rink got the pots - thanks to the return of half my team from the Melbourne Cup!

Some tough games coming up, though. Especially in a fortnight when we play Osborne Park is a part of the double-header weekend (watch out Swifty!)

Thought you weren't playing that game cause the eye candy won't be working??? :smile:

Swifty
09-11-2009, 02:09 PM
What a week! Thursday we were cruising, up 17-3 at one stage, then their third and skip started connecting with everything they tried. We were getting the bowls in the head, but couldn't hang onto them. Ended up losing the rink by 1. Another rink drew. That left the last rink (only 3 rinks on Thursdays, for all you Eastern Staters) to win it for us. They went into the last end one down, so they needed 3 to win the aggregate. Our skipper drew with his last bowl to get the 3! :lol: :cheers:

4 1/2 points out of 6 for us. :get outa here:

Then came Saturday. The skip and I played some of the best bowls of our lives to scrape home by one shot. Had to fight all the way. Unfortunately, only 2 rinks won and the other two were absolutely belted.

Only 2 points out of 8. :cry:

Scottie
09-11-2009, 02:45 PM
... Thought you weren't playing that game cause the eye candy won't be working??? :smile:

No - I'll be playing (if I'm picked!).
That Cane Toad at Ossie Park was just trying to distract me.

:listen to me: :cheers: :listen to me:

Swifty
09-11-2009, 02:50 PM
Anything to get the win! :mrgreen:

Ms Honey
14-11-2009, 10:56 PM
Well done to Mosman Park ... who won 7 points to 1 again .. losing on only 1 rink .. Still the Brits at 3 are all undefeated :get outa here:

One rink winning by a cricket score helped :cool:

Keith Maniac
14-11-2009, 11:17 PM
A bit of a bugger for us today. :listen to me:

Three rinks up, but one went down 42-13 and we lost the overall result!!! Aaaarrrgghhh!!! :listen to me: :listen to me:

Scottie
14-11-2009, 11:32 PM
Know just how you feel KM.

We won on three rinks and lost the aggregate by ONE!

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Keith Maniac
14-11-2009, 11:35 PM
Know just how you feel KM.

We won on three rinks and lost the aggregate by ONE!

:cry: :cry:

I must say, though, I have been on the other end of the stick. Doesn't make any bloody difference when you lose, of course!!! :listen to me: :listen to me: :listen to me:

Swifty
16-11-2009, 04:30 PM
Good week this week!

On Thursday I just scraped in with a close 32-8 win. Nowhere near the pots, though. The rink next door won 45-10! :shock:

BTW Scottie, this was against Bedford. And guess which long-striding skipper I had my win against? :mrgreen:

The third rink won as well, so 6-0 to us. :get outa here:

Then we played Bedford again on Saturday. But their weekend team must be a bit stronger. We lost our rink by 3, another drew but we got home in the aggregate to win 6.5-1.5.

Swifty
17-11-2009, 12:30 PM
Biggsy, you scored a mention in the review of the game on Sherro's site. :get outa here:

S. Withers(sk),M. Bigg, M. McGann, T. O'Neill-----------------------20
K. Pickering (sk) C. Fleay, P. Pendergast, B. Couper, ------.-------.-19

This game was a blister of a game up until the 13th end when Steve Withers rink led 10-9. A player under notice was Martin Bigg who was in everything with quality bowls while skipper Steve Withers was playing some rippers. It was from the 13th end that the Mosman Park boys steamed away to lead 19-11 and the game appeared to be in safe keeping but as always the game is not over till that final bowl is bowled. Kevin Pickering and his side came back into the picture when Kevin sat a Mosman bowl back to make a four and suddenly the score was 19-19 with an end to play
A great game by both rinks

Now don't do it again! :twisted:

Scottie
21-11-2009, 11:13 PM
Bad day at the office today - lost the aggregate to Swifty's mob (6-2).

The only (very small) consolation was that Swifty was not there to rub it in.
(I hear he decided to go to the dentist rather than face us)

The rink I was in had a win, but not by enoughto make up for the rink that was beaten by 16 shots (although even that was an improvement on their 26 shot last week).
Maybe if any one of this team turned up for a practice during the week it may help their preformance on a Saturday. (three of the four regularly watch practice from the bar most afternoons).

I guess it makes for some in depth soul-searching by the selectors next wek!

Keith Maniac
22-11-2009, 01:26 PM
Not a good day for our mob. Three rinks down against Condingup and some soul searching to be done. What makes it even worse is that I'm playing like shit. My draw shots are fine, but those upshots have deserted me! :listen to me: :listen to me:

pjsomers
22-11-2009, 03:50 PM
Not a good day for our mob. Three rinks down against Condingup and some soul searching to be done. What makes it even worse is that I'm playing like shit. My draw shots are fine, but those upshots have deserted me! :listen to me: :listen to me:

You'd make a good lead Keefy!!! That's what Tebs tells me anyway! :smile:

Ms Honey
22-11-2009, 04:41 PM
Yay well done tot he Mosman Park boys who did it again winning and getting 6 1/2 points! :get outa here:

Scottie
23-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Yay well done tot he Mosman Park boys who did it again winning and getting 6 1/2 points! :get outa here:
Hon - You haven't mentioned Sunday's game against the newly-promoted Morley Mavericks.

A 2-6 loss. At least Biggsy was in one of the teams that won

Keith Maniac
23-11-2009, 02:38 PM

You'd make a good lead Keefy!!! That's what Tebs tells me anyway! :smile:

The only time I've ever played with Tebs, I played 3. We won! :mrgreen:

Swifty
23-11-2009, 02:44 PM
Sorry I missed you on Saturday, Scottie. It wasn't by choice, believe me. An old, rotten tooth had collapsed and was giving me hell, and Saturday was the only appointment I could get for the next week.

The good news is that I will never have a problem with that tooth again. The bad news is that it was a stubborn little bugger, and the pain from the extraction is even worse than the toothache I had. :cry:

Swifty
23-11-2009, 07:30 PM
Lost my rink by ONE shot (again! :oops: ) on Thursday, but one rink carried us and we got the aggregate 4-2.

Missed the game on Saturday, but travelled to West Kalgoorlie (AKA Mundaring) on Sunday. Their carpet was running 17sec, the fastest green we've played on so far this year. Couldn't quite get the hang of it, and lost our rink by 6 and the aggregate 1-7. :cry:

Biggsy
24-11-2009, 09:42 PM
Hon - You haven't mentioned Sunday's game against the newly-promoted Morley Mavericks.

I'd rather have lost my rink and won 7-1.
I am quite interested to see what a big billing we seem to be getting, being called a "glamour side" and all that jazz. People seem to just focus on the big name recruits but perhaps forget that we still lost 5 very good players from last years side. Our second team is in the third division so we have little or no depth in Premier League terms.....and don't have the luxury of having tried and trusted combinations like other sides.
Don't get me wrong, I am not whinging, but hopefully the 6-2 loss to Morley will remind people that we are most definitely not the Harlem globetrotters, but just one of a few teams who have a sniff of making the four.
Also Morley were magnificent from start to finish, hats off to them

Scottie
24-11-2009, 10:18 PM
Agree fully with you Biggsy.

Morley showed that they are not the easy-beats the tipsters thought they would be, by knocking off South Perth on the weekend too.

(I was just having a little dig at Ms Honey with my post)

Swifty
25-11-2009, 11:28 AM
Morley showed that they are not the easy-beats the tipsters thought they would be, by knocking off South Perth on the weekend too.

Neither are Swan, apparently! :smile:

Scottie
25-11-2009, 11:50 AM
Roll on 6 February Swifty - when the Swans bombard Osborne Park with great bowls and backed up with planes practically landing on the green!

:smile: :smile: :smile:

Swifty
25-11-2009, 12:50 PM
I'll make damn sure my teeth are OK for that one. :twisted:

Ms Honey
25-11-2009, 04:37 PM

Sorry Scottie but i only chatted to my friend Robbie Tiller on Sunday Morning .. he didnt tell me the Sunday Result as he had not yet played :listen to me:

But Well done .. if you were in the side that beat them ... obvioulsy they dont have the stamina for twice in a weekend :shock:

:get outa here: Hiya Biggsy

Keith Maniac
30-11-2009, 01:19 PM
Played round 5 this week. We beat Scaddan, 2 rinks each way, but won the overall. Both losing rinks only went down by a shot and the 2 winners had "comfortable" wins. Fortunately, my rink was one of the winners. :mrgreen:

Swifty
30-11-2009, 01:46 PM
Not happy, Jan! :cry:

On Thursday, we were on top of the table, playing at home against the 3rd placed team. Not a sausage! :oops: All three rinks lost - mine by 4 - and we got no points. My rink had a slow start and fell about 12 shots behind before we woke up. We fought back very well, to go up one on the second last end, only to drop a 5 on the last. I had about 2 metres to draw with my last bowl, and put it 3 metres through. :oops: :cry:

Then on Saturday we dropped a 5 on the last end AGAIN! Only won by 15. :mrgreen: Not enough to carry the aggregate, though. Lost 2-6.

Scottie
30-11-2009, 02:21 PM
I know how you feel about Mid-week, Swifty.
We were on top of the table and played at home against the third-placed side.
Unfortunately, our greenkeeper prepared an O/P-paced green (17.5secs) which really suited Mundaring who play on synthetic.
Our side were all at sea, and two teams were walloped.
The rink I'm in managed a draw when I played a flukey shot with the last bowl of the game to shift the jack a yard sideways to rest next to two of our bowls and score half a point for a draw. And that was the only end all day that we were not behind on the scoreboard.
:oops:

Saturday was a happier day, with our side winning the aggregate with three rinks winning comfortably.

Some work to be done by the Selectors though!
We have two rinks going well - one with a 6-0 record, and one with a 5-1 record (mine!). But one othe the other rinks needs a gee-up with a 1-5 record and only one loss of less than 12 shots.

Scottie
06-12-2009, 04:27 PM
You must had had a nervous Ms Honey watching the Mossie Park game yesterday Biggsy.

It was fortunate that Rags' rink came good with a 27 shot win to carry your other three rinks to an aggregate win.

It is certainly a tightly packed field in Premier Div - with only five points separating second and seventh positions on the ladder.

I still can't understand what went wrong a couple of weeks back when Swifty's lot bear us.
Fortunately we have come good since, winning the last three games to take us to equal second on the ladder, while Swifty's lot have gone the other way and are in the deadly relegation zone.

I don't know who our greenkeeper was trying to kid on Saturday.
Our green speed was marked as 14.5secs.
I timed a couple of bowls at a bit over 17secs.
Made for some 'intersting' bowls on our little (33metre length) green). It was real easy to trickle a draw shot into the sand when the jack was on the 2metre mark and you got a gust of wind helping the bowl along.

dunny
06-12-2009, 05:59 PM
sick bastards those greenkeepers :smile: :smile: :smile:

pjsomers
06-12-2009, 07:20 PM
You must had had a nervous Ms Honey watching the Mossie Park game yesterday Biggsy.

She must have had some VERY powerful binoculars!!!

She was watching??? us win yesterday against Yarraville Footscray!!!

Ms Honey
06-12-2009, 07:25 PM
Yup Scottie i havent been in WA for about 4 weeks now!!! :mrgreen:

However i did hear this morning that They won the game .... Because of 1 rink ... but i think that is the first win he has had all season!!! :shock:

pjsomers
06-12-2009, 07:38 PM
Yup Scottie i havent been in WA for about 4 weeks now!!! :mrgreen:

However i did hear this morning that They won the game .... Because of 1 rink ... but i think that is the first win he has had all season!!! :shock:

BTW, nice new photo on your Facebook!!! What uniform is that??? :smile:

Biggsy
06-12-2009, 09:06 PM

It was fortunate that Rags' rink came good with a 27 shot win to carry your other three rinks to an aggregate win.

It is certainly a tightly packed field in Premier Div - with only five points separating second and seventh positions on the ladder.

I still can't understand what went wrong a couple of weeks back when Swifty's lot bear us.
Fortunately we have come good since, winning the last three games to take us to equal second on the ladder, while Swifty's lot have gone the other way and are in the deadly relegation zone.

I don't know who our greenkeeper was trying to kid on Saturday.
Our green speed was marked as 14.5secs.
I timed a couple of bowls at a bit over 17secs.
Made for some 'intersting' bowls on our little (33metre length) green). It was real easy to trickle a draw shot into the sand when the jack was on the 2metre mark and you got a gust of wind helping the bowl along.

Funny game really Scottie. We led from the first end an always seemed to be 10 plus shots up. One of those games where you always feel in control of the aggregate but when you look back on it you realise just how close it was.
Ellul was 12-4 up and we were 9-2 up so really we should have brought home 7 points. But winning aggs makes a huge difference in the ladder at moment. Wanneroo are flying but face Doubleview, Ossie Park and Vic Park in the next 3 so I recko we'll see more changes.

Keith Maniac
06-12-2009, 10:43 PM
Another win to our boys yesterday. Only one rink (narrowly) down. All the rest had "comfortable" victories (including my own :mrgreen: ).

We are now clearly 2nd! :get outa here:

Swifty
07-12-2009, 01:24 PM
Well, after losing a couple of my Thursday games by one shot, I managed to turn it around and WIN one by one shot. Had another slow start, with my lead and second trying to fight against a strong wind on the narrow hand. Halfway through, they switched to the wide hand, and started dropping them on every end. We fought back from behind again, but actually held on this time. :razz:

Unfortunately, I was the only one to win, and we went down 1-5. :cry:

Saturday came, and we all played well, but the opposition skipper was murder! After 12 ends, we were down 3-10. They got one double, the rest were all singles. I got bloody sick of saying "One away"! In the end we got four 3's in 5 ends to make a game of it, but went down by 6. Another rink got hammered 30-11, which made it bloody hard to cover the aggregate and we lost by 9 shots overall. Down 2-6. :cry:

Scottie
13-12-2009, 12:53 AM
I'll jump in first before KM sobers up, and I know that swifty won't post until he gets to work on Monday (so he can get paid for playing on the internet :smile: ) -

We had a very good win today - three rinks won pretty comfortablt, and the rink I was with came from the clouds to snatch a draw (we were ten shots down with three ends to play). The opposition were on fire early and everything they did turned to gold. We were 13-1 down after about five ends, and just couldn't catch up untill the last three ends.

It meant a couple of happy :cheers: :cheers: after the game!

Co-incidence or not? We played the same Club in Midweek Pennants a fortnight ago - and my rink scrounged a draw with the last bowl of the game then as well.

Swifty
14-12-2009, 01:05 PM
It's not a bad life, Scottie! :mrgreen:

Had a good week. A fairly easy game on Thursday. The opposition really dropped their bundle when I drew the jack away from them to go from 5 down to 1 up. Went on to win 27-10 and got all 6 points. Hopefully that will put us back on top of the table.

Then I won a pack of lamb chops on Friday night. :razz:

Saturday's game was a close fight all day. After 18 ends we were up 14-8, then they got two 3's to draw level. Last end, we were down a couple, with a catcher a couple of feet behind, but one of theirs just in front of it. I picked the jack up, but it went one side of their bowl and I went the other side. Still one down. Our skipper drew and trailed the jack the 2 inches he needed to, and we were up 2. They had a couple of drives, but missed both. Won our rink 16-14 and the agg 7-1. That was a win we desperately needed. We were in 9th place and jumped up to 7th and out of the relegation zone. :cool:

And to top it off, last night we had a meal and free drinks at the President's Tea. A couple of bottles of Mudgee Shiraz went down bloody well! :cheers:

Swifty
21-12-2009, 03:44 PM
Not a good week. :cry:

On Thursday, we were on top of the table, playing bottom place, at home on our favourite green. We went down 1-5. :oops: I lost my rink by 4. I've had a couple of big wins so far, but at least when I do go down it's not by much.

Then on Saturday, we were 8th (not 7th as I thought above), playing the top team on their carpet. Bloody hot and hard on the feet on a stinker of a day. At least 3 of the 4 we were up against on our rink had PL experience. We won our rink 23-13. :mrgreen: Only problem was, we were the only ones to manage a win. Down 1-7. :cry:

Oh well, time for a couple of weeks break, then back into it.

Scottie
08-01-2010, 11:10 PM
What a sod of a way to start the New Year!

We played Midweek Pennants yesterday against the bottom-of-the-ladder side - and got belted on all three rinks. My poor old Lead waited until the final end to draw a close bowl. And he set the agenda for the Second who managed to drop his lead bowl 20 feet short (and of course, right in the eye of our Third and Skip). Our Third, who is normally very good at up-shots and drives, managed to pick our close bowls out almost every time (I guess the one consolation was that our close bowls were generally pretty far away anyway). It's a mirical that, after trailing by 15 shots late into the game, that we managed to finish within 5 shots at game-end.

Still, it will have certainly served as a wake-up call for everyone to put a darn sight more effort into tomorrow's Saturday pennant game (we are currently second, they are eighth).

Looks like Swifty had the same sort of slump in his side yesterday - although they didi at least win on one rink (Swifty's?)

Swifty
11-01-2010, 12:17 PM
No, not my rink, unfortunately. :cry: I lost by 3 on Thursday, mostly because I was horribly rusty after the Christmas break and couldn't do a bloody thing all day. My third is a thorough gentleman. All he said was "I've seen you play better." That's when I knew I was totally useless! :oops:

So I decided to have a roll-up on Friday arvo to get my rhythm and confidence back. It must have worked - we got the maximum 8 points on Saturday. :mrgreen: Got off to a good start on our rink. 4 on the first end, 3 on the second. After that it was a good close fight, and we finished up 3 ahead. Had some big wins on other rinks, though, which helps our percentages as well. Someone who had read the Sunday Times told me we'd jumped from last place to 6th! :razz:

Keith Maniac
17-01-2010, 12:25 PM
Not a good way to start the post Xmas proceedings; a 32 shot drubbing and losing on all four rinks! :listen to me: :listen to me:

I'm sure we WILL regroup, however. :mrgreen:

Scottie
17-01-2010, 03:03 PM
My sympathies KM ( :smile: :smile: )

But you know it can only get better from here-on.

I see Swifty had a win in his first game as Skip in Saturday Pennants. I had better keep an eye on him - his side moved up another spot on the ladder on the back of yesterday's win. (Although playing in his Club Singles today in 41c warmth might slow Swifty down a bit)

My mob are 'comfortably' second on the ladder, but it will be pretty hard to overtake the leaders (who pipped us by one shot with the last bowl of the day in the first round). A couple of losses to sides below us on the ladder are once again looking like being very costly.

Keith Maniac
17-01-2010, 03:35 PM
My sympathies KM ( :smile: :smile: )

But you know it can only get better from here-on.

I see Swifty had a win in his first game as Skip in Saturday Pennants. I had better keep an eye on him - his side moved up another spot on the ladder on the back of yesterday's win. (Although playing in his Club Singles today in 41c warmth might slow Swifty down a bit)

My mob are 'comfortably' second on the ladder, but it will be pretty hard to overtake the leaders (who pipped us by one shot with the last bowl of the day in the first round). A couple of losses to sides below us on the ladder are once again looking like being very costly.

They're the losses that really hurt. That's where "if onlys" germinate! :grin:

Swifty
18-01-2010, 12:30 PM
What a great week!

Started off well on the lumpy carpet at Hollywood-Subi. We were only 20-7 down. But one thing we don't do is throw in the towel. Came back to win 29-26. :razz: We won by 3, another rink won by 2, but the third rink went down by 12. Only 2 points, and we slip a little further back on the table. :cry:

Then on Saturday our regular skip went to a wedding! Honestly, some people have GOT to get their priorities sorted out! :twisted: So I took over the rink and everyone else shuffled up one spot, with a 5th division lead brought in. This time we were only down 8-1 before we woke up. Got up 23-18 in the end, picked up 7 points and jumped up to 5th place. :mrgreen:

Look out Scottie, we're coming to get ya! :mad:

Swifty
02-02-2010, 11:37 AM
Revenge is sweet! :mrgreen: On Thursday we played the same rink as in the first round, who we lost to by one shot at their place, and beat them by 5. Unfortunately, once again, I was the only one to win.

Saturday could have been a lot worse. One of our skips got a promotion to 1 White, so I kept the rink while our regular skip went to cover for the other bloke. Got off to a VERY slow start. The front end let me down and on the odd occasion we got something close, it was only one bowl and the opposition took it out clean every time. After 11 ends we were down 25-5. :oops: But then their lead went off, my second came good, and I got enough confidence in the extremely windy conditions to start giving the mat away. Won the second half 12-3 to go down 28-17, but got close enough to save the aggregate. 7-1 to us, and up from 5th to 4th.

Looking forward to this week at Swan to give Scottie's mob a belting. We'll bring our crash helmets to avoid getting skid marks on our heads. :smile:

Scottie
02-02-2010, 12:33 PM
If you think I'm going to bite, Swifty ...

YOU'RE RIGHT!
:ha ha: :ha ha: :ha ha:

Swifty
02-02-2010, 12:45 PM
In three games we've gone from last to 4th. Nothing scares us any more. :twisted:

Scottie
08-02-2010, 09:02 PM
... Looking forward to this week at Swan to give Scottie's mob a belting. We'll bring our crash helmets to avoid getting skid marks on our heads. :smile:

Ho hum ...
I would like to skite - but after the belting I received on our rink I will keep a bit of a low profile (and this was against the same Skip I beat in the first round).

But the good news was that we walloped Swifty's mob on the other three rinks and brought home the bacon and retained second spot on the ladder.
And this was with nary a jumbo in sight for the whole afternoon.

It was not all bad news for Swifty's mob though. The two sides baying at their heels both lost as well - so Osborne Park retain fourth spot on the ladder.

Keith Maniac
08-02-2010, 09:17 PM
Esperance Blue were 3 rink winners in the local derby against Gold. Should've been 4 rinks, but one fell badly away at the end.

Not mine. :cheers:

We remain second on the table, but Condingup are still undefeated and will taking some beating. However, the bigger they are, etc, etc, etc ... :mrgreen:

Swifty
15-02-2010, 01:25 PM
Much better results this week!

Thursday was a bit tough - up against a skipper that just couldn't miss. Only went down by 3, but luckily the other rinks carried me and we got 5 points.

Saturday was strange! Our usual slow start deserted us and I didn't know how to handle it. :smile: We were actually 6-1 up after a few ends! :shock: Anyhow, they came back and it was a good, close game. At the 18th end it was 12-12. Then on the 19th end we dropped a 5. :oops: We were about 8 ahead on the aggregate at that point so I didn't panic. I just had to keep reasonably close. So on the 20th end we picked up a 3. Into the last end 2 down. My lead and second came good when we needed them and we crossed over holding 5. Their bloody idiot skipper decided to drive and killed it. We had to start all over again. We threw the bowls back and played in the same direction. The front end repeated their performance. Crossed over holding 4. Their skip drove again, but he missed this time. I drew another one to make it 5 again. He drove and missed again. I threw my last bowl over the fence. :twisted: Up by 2 on my rink, and all 8 points for a great win! :mrgreen:

I really don't need that kind of pressure!

Scottie
15-02-2010, 02:22 PM
At the rate you mob are going Swifty, we will meet again in the finals on 27 March.

We may have blown the chance of a home final as a result of Saturday's games. Bassendean beat the unbeatable Doubleview 7 points to 1, and we fouled our chances by getting only one point against Morley. (I guess the only consolation was that our rink won - with a new improved Lead who now wants my spot).

The next four games are going to be pretty important for both our sides.
I'm tipping that Swan will finish the home-and-away games in 3rd spot - a fraction behind Bassendean (but I'm still hoping for a bit of luck changing this in our favour) - and Osborne park finishing in fourth spot a bit further back.
On paper, we have an easier run to the finals that you. Our games are against Bedford (9th), Kalamunda (7th), Mundaring (8th) and Bassendean (2nd)
Osborne Park play Bassendean (2nd), Yokine (10th), Mount lawley (6th) and Doubleview (1st)

On another tack, it seems that Victoria Park-Carlisle continue to be in the news for all the wrong reasons - ruckus at Yokine on Saturday, and disturbance at Mosman Park the Saturday before.
What the hell is going on?
It seems the word "ETIQUETTE" has disappeared from the game.

Swifty
15-02-2010, 04:42 PM
Sherro mentioned an incident that showed a lack of etiquette, but I've heard nothing about it. Have you got any details? PM me if you're worried about letting the cat out of the bag.

Scottie
21-02-2010, 02:55 PM
To quote Swifty: What a great week! (for Swan)

Won on all three rinks in the Midweek game in the bush at Mundaring on the carpet on a warmish 35c (Perth temp - so a darn sight hotter at Mundaring).

Then we picked up an aggregate win yesterday - winning on three rinks. True, we were playing at home against the bottom side - but every win is a good win. The one losing rink was surprisingly our best performing rink to date.

And on top of that, Swifty's Mob (Osborne Park) helped us no end by belting Bassendean - at Bassendean, no less.

The outcome is that Swan have now slipped up into second place on the Ladder.

If we hold our form and our nerve over the remaining three games, we will be rewarded with a home final. The only worry then may be Swifty's Mob, who appear to be hitting form as well.

No Pennants in Perth next Saturday. Country Week. Are you making the journey to the Big Smoke, KM? I can't see your name in the draw posted on the Bowls WA website.

Keith Maniac
21-02-2010, 10:50 PM
Had one of those days to forget, personally, yesterday. Ten shots up with 7 ends to go, bowling like a champion, wind changes, temperature drops 5 degrees, carpet green gathers 2 seconds in the space of a nanosecond and yours truly lost weight control, line, ...

... F^%$%%g everything!!!!! :listen to me: :listen to me: :listen to me:

Swifty
22-02-2010, 04:37 PM
Yep, it was a great week. Maximum points on both days. And both games away from home.

Thursday we were away at the bottom club and cruised in on all rinks. An easy 6-0 win for us there.

Then on Saturday, we were 4th away at the (then) second placed club. Never in danger on any rink. I got away to a fantastic start. Got to 20-5 up. Then they started getting a few close, I played fairly conservative, happy to let them get 1 or 2, and lost 5 ends in a row. Finished up winning by 8. The conditions on the day weren't the best, strong, gusty wind blowing things all over the place. My opposing skip was complaining about it all day. Naturally, I was quick to point out how bad the wind was as often as possible. :twisted: His confidence was so badly destroyed I never once even thought about giving the mat away. He was never going to do anything with the last bowl.

It's a pity you had such a good win, Scottie. I was hoping we might have jumped up to 3rd, but it sounds like we've stayed 4th. We've just started to realise we'll be in the finals, and with some good results there's an outside chance we could make it to 2nd and get the home venue for the finals. So watch out, we're gunning for you! :mrgreen:

The amazing thing is the number of changes we've had, and we're still winning! I had a different lead and second AGAIN on Saturday! :shock:

Ms Honey
22-02-2010, 05:31 PM
Well Done Mosman Park :get outa here:

Swifty
24-02-2010, 02:20 PM
Interesting draw for your last 3 games, Scottie. How do you like carpets? :twisted: If you slip up at either Kalamunda or Mundaring, you could be in trouble. A lot might be riding on your last game against Bassendean.

We're only 3.5 points behind you, and one behind Basso. With Yokine home (a guaranteed win, hopefully all 8 points), Mt Lawley away (tough, but winnable - I'd be happy with 6-2) and the leaders Doubleview at home in the last (away from their carpet, so we've got a chance), there is a real possibility we could slip into 2nd.

It's going to be a VERY interesting last round on the 20th of March!

Scottie
24-02-2010, 03:46 PM
You're right Swifty - it is going to be an interesting lasl three games.

I'm predicting that the last game against Bassendean will be the crunch game for us. But our whole 16 will be determined to make sure that we win hansomely at home in this game (first round was very disappointing, with my rink the only one to get up)

The beginning of last season, several of our players were quite simply 'terrified' of carpet. But attitudes have changed this year - after a good hit-out against Midland-Morrision on their carpet early in the season, and a good 6-0 win against Mundaring on their carpet last week. I believe that the Kalamunda carpet is playing very true and at a very acceptable speed, so they hold no fears for us either.

If you get over Mt Lawley (bearing mind that they have a pretty good home record), I still see Doubleview as being a stumbling block. The only away game they have lost for the season was in round one against Morley.

Whatever the outcome over the next three games, I'm sure that we will meet in the play-offs and have a ding-dong game of it.

Looks like you will be sitting in the Bar :cheers: tomorrow, instsead of playing minweek Pennants. It would be a bit warm playing on the Doubleview carpet in 42c during a thunderstorm!

Swifty
24-02-2010, 04:08 PM
Yeah, pity about tomorrow. I'll just have to sit and watch the Country Week Welcome Fours instead.

Anyone feel like telling the boys from the bush they can't play because it's too hot? :smile: :smile: :smile:

Swifty
24-02-2010, 04:29 PM
Just been going over the records for the season to see how I've handled the awesome responsibility of playing skip or third, instead of second like I've been playing for about 8 years previously.

On Thursdays, I've been skip all year. My rink has a 7-7 record, and the side is sitting pretty in 4th spot, also 7-7.

On Saturdays, I started off playing third. The rink has a 9-6 record, and the side is also 4th with a score of 8-7. Since I took over as skip, I've gone 3-2.

Not bad for a first time skip, eh? :mrgreen:

Scottie
27-02-2010, 02:16 PM
Have you noticed when the Midweek final are to be played Swifty?

For the first time in at least ten seasons, the Semi-finals will be played in the morning and Preliminary finals will be played on that afternoon.

I suspect that this has slipped under the guard of a lot of Clubs this season

This will create a real headache for sides who have players still in the workforce who have arranged with their employers to have Thursday afternoons off.

I know this is certainly going to affct a number of Midweek players at my Club.
What about at Osborne Park?

Swifty
02-03-2010, 02:02 PM
I can think of 3 or 4 just in my colour who come straight from work on a Thursday arvo.

Once again BWA have no idea what happens in the real world! :listen to me:

Keith Maniac
07-03-2010, 01:40 AM
Played our last home and away match today and lost to Condingup, once again! :listen to me:

However, we play Esperance Gold in the semi next week and we've had the wood on them all year. Hopefully, this will mean that we will get a chance for revenge against Condy after last year's stumble.

Go Blue!! :get outa here:

Scottie
07-03-2010, 11:30 PM
Round 16 -
- Bad day for me
- Good day for Swifty

We played Kalamunda on their carpet yesterday. With about 2 ends per rink to go, we were leading on three rinks and about 6 on the aggregate.
Then it truly went pear-shaped, with us losing the aggregate by 8 and only one rink win (one small consolation - it was the rink I was in).

And it only got worse looking at the other results in today's paper - Swifty's Mob won on two rinks and took the aggregate by 7 shots (admittedly, against the botton side) and have jumped over us on the Ladder. Swifty skipped his rink to a big 17-shot win to ensure the aggregate (but more of that tomorrow when Swifty gets onto his work PC!)
:Hellooo: :Hellooo:

It is a certainty that our sides will be fronting each other in the Play-offs in the last week-end of March.

The next two weekends will determine which of us ends up with the home-ground advantage. :argue: :cheers: :joker:

Swifty
08-03-2010, 12:59 PM
Good luck to you, Keith! :get outa here:

Thursday almost went wrong. Got away to a brilliant start. Got to 22-4 up, then proceeded to lose the next 17 shots! :oops: Nothing major, just ones and twos, but we just couldn't hang onto anything. In the end we survived to win our rink by one. Drew the aggregate and got 3.5 points. Still enough to climb to 3rd position, as the team above us got bugger all. :mrgreen:

Then came Saturday. I told you to look out for those carpets, Scottie! :listen to me: We were pretty well the opposite of you. We'd killed about 5 ends, so we were well behind the others. With one end to go on each of the other rinks and 3 on ours, we were 8 behind on the aggregate. Then one of the others got a 5, other results went our way and I was left to play out our last two ends with the whole team watching on. I actually thought we'd lost the last end, but we won the measure to win 28-11 and got the aggregate for a 6-2 win. Second place and the home play-offs are looking to be within reach after all. :mrgreen:

Keith Maniac
08-03-2010, 01:05 PM
Good luck to you, Keith! :get outa here:

Thursday almost went wrong. Got away to a brilliant start. Got to 22-4 up, then proceeded to lose the next 17 shots! Nothing major, just ones and twos, but we just couldn't hang onto anything. In the end we survived to win our rink by one. Drew the aggregate and got 3.5 points. Still enough to climb to 3rd position, as the team above us got bugger all.

Then came Saturday. I told you to look out for those carpets, Scottie! :listen to me: We were pretty well the opposite of you. We'd killed about 5 ends, so we were well behind the others. With one end to go on each of the other rinks and 3 on ours, we were 8 behind on the aggregate. Then one of the others got a 5, other results went our way and I was left to play out our last two ends with the whole team watching on. I actually thought we'd lost the last end, but we won the measure to win 28-11 and got the aggregate for a 6-2 win. Second place and the home play-offs are looking to be within reach after all. :mrgreen:

Keep it going, Swifty! :get outa here:

Looks like we'll ALL be playing finals. We start this week. :cool:

ausirus
08-03-2010, 03:46 PM
Played our last home and away match today and lost to Condingup, once again! :listen to me:

However, we play Esperance Gold in the semi next week and we've had the wood on them all year. Hopefully, this will mean that we will get a chance for revenge against Condy after last year's stumble.

Dont Let Keefy fool ya guys The way he puts it he'd like to think it was a cakewalk that he'll be playing against Condy in the Final.
But the kid with the stick will be weilding it this Sat. and hopes to turn the table on Blue
GO GOLD!!!!
You'd wish you had burnt it at Condy Keefy :smile:

Keith Maniac
08-03-2010, 07:23 PM

Dont Let Keefy fool ya guys The way he puts it he'd like to think it was a cakewalk that he'll be playing against Condy in the Final.
But the kid with the stick will be weilding it this Sat. and hopes to turn the table on Blue
GO GOLD!!!!
You'd wish you had burnt it at Condy Keefy :smile:

Them's fightin' words "Stick Man"!! See you on the green! :cheers:

Keith Maniac
14-03-2010, 03:18 PM
Lost the bloody semi final!!! :listen to me: :listen to me: :listen to me: :listen to me:

ausirus
14-03-2010, 06:47 PM
Well done Gold
Thx for the Game Keefy We will do our best to topple the runaway favorites :get outa here: :cheers:

Keith Maniac
14-03-2010, 07:02 PM
Well done Gold
Thx for the Game Keefy We will do our best to topple the runaway favorites :get outa here: :cheers:

Yeah, good luck, Aus! :cheers:

See. I was good. I didn't mention any of our outrageous misfortune once. :mrgreen:

Swifty
15-03-2010, 01:35 PM
BUGGER! :cry:

We blew it and let Scottie's mob get back above us. Travelled to Mt Lawley and only managed 2 points (thankfully, one of them was from my rink). We're back down to 3rd place, 2.5 points behind Swan. We need to beat Doubleview, the top team, at our home this week, and Bassendean to beat Swan (but not by too much) to get back to second and host the play-offs.

Scottie
21-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Well, it's on for young and old next weekend!

We secured the home-ground for the promotion play-offs to 1st Division Blue yesterday with a workmanlike performance against the third-placed side, Bassendean.

And in a bit of an upset (to everyone except Swifty) Osborne Park won against the top side and jumped into the second-chance semi-final play-off against us.

Won't there be some sledging if I'm in the rink playing Swifty! :argue: :listen to me: :argue:

Our Club secured a home-ground final for our Midweek side as well by beating top-of-the-table Manning on their green.
I must say that the Manning tifdwarf would have to be the best green I have played on all season (yes Swifty - even compared to Osborne Park!)

Gazza our Greenkeeper is going into melt-down though, at the thought of having to prepare two greens for all day next Saturday, one green for Sunday, two greens for all day the following Thursday, and then one green for the Thursday after.
Hope it doesn't muck his bowls around though. He is Skipping one of our rinks midweek and has been doing a brilliant job as a Lead on Saturdays.

ausirus
21-03-2010, 11:49 PM
BUGGER DAMN AND BUGGER again
Well done to the Condy Boys they hadn't lost a game all year and they were too good again today winning all 4 rinks
One rink even lost an 8 on one end and still managed to win. :listen to me:
I'm sure Keith will have more to say on the matter.

Keith Maniac
21-03-2010, 11:55 PM
BUGGER DAMN AND BUGGER again
Well done to the Condy Boys they hadn't lost a game all year and they were too good again today winning all 4 rinks
One rink even lost an 8 on one end and still managed to win. :listen to me:
I'm sure Keith will have more to say on the matter.

It'll all be in the "Express"! :mrgreen:

Swifty
22-03-2010, 01:16 PM
Won't there be some sledging if I'm in the rink playing Swifty! :argue: :listen to me: :argue:

It can be organised, Scottie. I'm the manager! :mrgreen:

Yep, we did our best, but couldn't get to 2nd place to host the play-offs. That big loss at Mt Lawley really cost us. :cry: Still, beating the top team 6-2 was a great way to finish the home-and-away season, and should give us a bit of confidence for this weekend. One rink got away to 19-0 before the other mob fired up, and finished 10 shots ahead. My rink went the other way and were down 7-0, but finished 9 up. One rink had lost by 2, and the final rink was level going into the last end, but couldn't quite pull it off. Considering the amount of PL experience in the Doubleview side, I reckon that was a fantastic effort.

Now we've just got to do it all again this weekend and get that promotion.

Swifty
22-03-2010, 01:25 PM
Just to finish off the stats for my season. The 2 Gold side finished third with a 10-8 record. Our rink was 12-6 overall, and since I took over as skip we are 6-2.

On Thursdays, the side is 7-8 with one draw, and my rink is 8-8, with one game abandoned due to heat and one game still to play.

I'm happy with all that. :get outa here:

Swifty
24-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Scottie, how did your greeens survive the storm? Ours look like the surface of a golf ball after the hail.

Scottie
24-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Scottie, how did your greeens survive the storm? Ours look like the surface of a golf ball after the hail.
I'll be able to tell you this afternoon.

If nothing else, the storm has probably leached the salt off the greens!

Funny weather all right on Monday. It absolutely p*ssed down at home in Morley (flooded our gutters, but not much damage), and not a single hailstone.

My wife got to work at Charlie Gairdner's yesterday and found that three of their eight cars used for home visists were totally stuffed - along with the office windows, carpets, etc.

Scottie
28-03-2010, 11:23 PM
PLEASE MODERATORS!

I beg you to ban any input by Swifty on this Thread!

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Swifty stitched me up on Saturday morning in the semi-final by 8 shots. The one consolation was that our other three rinks won well and we got the aggregate by 20 shots.

Swift'ys mob then fronted up for the preliminary final in the afternoon and won pretty conclusively by 31 shots. Swifty skipped his team to (another) win by 7 shots.

In the grand final this afternoon we fronted up pretty confidently to Swify's mob again. But the extra game on Saturday certainly must have put the edge on their game. After about five ends we were trailing on all four rinks.

However, we re-grouped (on three rinks anyway) and were storming home when we suddenly ran out on ends. We won on three rinks, but were not able to cover the 16 shot deficit on our other rink.

My rink was the last one on the green. Despite holding a single shot, I tried to kill the last end and give us a chance of picking up an unlikely 8 shots on the last end. But my drive missed the jack by the proverbial whatsit, and the game was over.

I've got to give credit to Swifty. On Saturday against my rink he played a couple of VERY big ends resulting in 6 shot and 5-shot turn-arounds. And in this afternoon's game Swifty held on to go down by a single shot to our Club Champion's team.

I guess the only small consolation for me is that I will be fronting up on Thurday to play in the promotion finals of the Mid-week competition.

Except for the disappointment of the finals, I have personally had a pretty good season.

I skipped during the season for a 12 win, 4 loss, 2 draw result. Which I guess was not too bad as it was the third-best result for our Division/Colour out of 84 Skips during the season.
In the mid-week competition I skipped for a 14 win, 2 loss and 1 draw result (one game was cancelled because of our heat rule).

Swifty
29-03-2010, 01:01 PM
Looks like they haven't banned me yet, Scottie. :mrgreen:

I must admit I'm feeling a little fragile today. With all the cheering and yelling over the weekend, plus celebrating LONG into the night last night, my throat is feeling bloody rough!

The Premier League boys had a win as well, so they helped us to celebrate, but, as I told them, we at least got a promotion, what did they manage? :smile:

Full marks to Scottie's mob. They're a good bunch of blokes and put up a hell of a fight. It must be tough to win on 3 rinks and still go down. I ALMOST feel sorry for them. :twisted:

In the end, it was extremely satisfying to come back after being last at round 9. So many people had written us off - including our Chairman of Selectors. And I didn't let him forget that when I made my speech as Team Manager last night! :listen to me:

Now I've got to try and do it all again on Thursday. I'm in a Promotion play-off then as well - different colour from Scottie's, though.

Thanks for the weekend, Scottie, and good luck this time around on Thursday. :cheers:

Keith Maniac
29-03-2010, 01:27 PM
Well done to both of you. :get outa here:

Sounds like you've both had much better years than me. :cry: :mrgreen:

Swifty
29-03-2010, 01:35 PM
You made it to the finals, Keith, that's an achievement in itself. :get outa here:

Keith Maniac
29-03-2010, 07:07 PM
You made it to the finals, Keith, that's an achievement in itself. :get outa here:

Correct, but under performing is under performing. I under performed. :mrgreen: :cheers:

All's well, though. I'm having a little break from the greens. We have the "Super Fours" coming up in a couple of weeks, so I'm getting mentally prepared for that. It's a pretty big deal; four or five grand in prizemoney and teams from as far away as Geraldton. You blokes should think about it for next year. :cheers:

Swifty
29-03-2010, 07:20 PM
I think after I get through this Thursday and (hopefully) the final next Thursday I'll be ready for a couple of weeks break from the game. Thankfully I'm taking off to QLD on the 18th (my parents' 60th Anniversary on the 29th - we're having a big family get-together on the night of the 24th) and returning on the 30th, so I should be fresh for the winter season after that.

Keith Maniac
29-03-2010, 07:24 PM
I think after I get through this Thursday and (hopefully) the final next Thursday I'll be ready for a couple of weeks break from the game. Thankfully I'm taking off to QLD on the 18th (my parents' 60th Anniversary on the 29th - we're having a big family get-together on the night of the 24th) and returning on the 30th, so I should be fresh for the winter season after that.

Enjoy the trip, cobber! :cheers: :cheers:

dooley
03-04-2010, 12:46 PM
We got through to the midweek promotional playoff to go into one white next season, so with a bit of luck we can pay back cambridge for beating us at cambrige in the last home and away game this year. We are playing at home so may have a slight advantage.
Have got a mate keith, coming to esperence to play in the fours carnival you have coming up. His name is Brian Young a friend of Dave fiegarts l told him to come and say hi if he gets a chance dosen't mind a beer or two :cheers:

noddy
03-04-2010, 09:55 PM
Good to see you West Aussies are still doing "Pennants". :cheers:

Keith Maniac
04-04-2010, 01:22 PM
We got through to the midweek promotional playoff to go into one white next season, so with a bit of luck we can pay back cambridge for beating us at cambrige in the last home and away game this year. We are playing at home so may have a slight advantage.
Have got a mate keith, coming to esperence to play in the fours carnival you have coming up. His name is Brian Young a friend of Dave fiegarts l told him to come and say hi if he gets a chance dosen't mind a beer or two :cheers:

I'll keep an eye out for him, Dooley! Thanks! :cheers:

Swifty
06-04-2010, 10:39 AM
No word from Scottie yet? :shock: Is this because he's too embarrassed to show his face, or is he still celebrating? :cheers:

We went out to Doubleview on Thursday. Instead of putting us on their good carpet, they gave us their A Green goat track. Would have been running at about 12 seconds if they were lucky! :argue:

Played DV in the first game. At the end the aggregate was level, so we all had to go out for an extra end. Still level after that, so we went for another extra end. Lost by 1 shot.

So we had to go out and play Wanneroo in the afternoon. Thought we could win this one, because we'd absolutely destryed them when we played at their home. But at the end of the game, guess what? The aggregate was level AGAIN! Played the extra end, and went down by 1 shot AGAIN! :cry: Out of the finals and we can have a rest this Thursday. And I can hang up the shoes and take a break for a month or so.

I have to say I did my best, though. Won my games by 10 and 15, but still couldn't carry the useless bludgers over the line. :mrgreen:

Scottie
06-04-2010, 11:44 AM
You could not have gone closer to a fairytale end to a great season Swifty. Two tied aggregates in successive semi-final games - and losing them both on extra ends by one shot!

Precious little for me to say - not because I'm too embassassed (although losing a game to Swifty was pretty embassassing!), but because I was absolutely gutted after the weekend's finals which I had such high hopes for.

We also lost out on promotion in the Mid-week finals last Thursday as well. But that didn't hurt nearly as much as the previous Sunday's grand final loss.

Swifty
06-04-2010, 03:12 PM
Sorry you missed out on Thursday as well, mate. Did you come close?

Keith Maniac
24-04-2010, 11:15 AM

I'll keep an eye out for him, Dooley! Thanks!

I met Brian and played against him, Dooley. Top bloke and can bowl! :get outa here:

Unfortunately for him, he was up against it a bit with his rink, but he was in Esperance for the "right reasons" and enjoyed himself. :cool:

We had a few quiet ones and then he found himself in a joke competition with one of the blokes from Collie! :smile:

By the way Swifty, he's leaving Cambridge and heading your way. A handy pick up, I'd say! :cheers:

omar
25-04-2010, 11:15 AM
Brian sends his regards. great to hear you caught up for a beer or two. He enjoyed meeting you and rekons your a top bloke obviously wasnt there long enough to get to know you :smile:
He looks forward to coming next year with a couple of his regular partners to hopefully give you a run for your money.
Looking forward to next year ( Its Dooley; changed my user name as l forgot my password and changed email address since l last registered :oops:) :cheers:

Keith Maniac
26-04-2010, 12:35 PM
Brian sends his regards. great to hear you caught up for a beer or two. He enjoyed meeting you and rekons your a top bloke obviously wasnt there long enough to get to know you :smile:
He looks forward to coming next year with a couple of his regular partners to hopefully give you a run for your money.
Looking forward to next year ( Its Dooley; changed my user name as l forgot my password and changed email address since l last registered :oops:) :cheers:

Hope to see you here next year, Omar (Dooley)! :cheers:

It is an excellent tournament! :cool:

Swifty
30-07-2013, 05:28 PM

Good news, KoS. I've finally found out what's happening with David Opie.

http://www.osborneparkbc.com.au/yoursay/rumours_ninet2013.html

Hope the info's not too late for you. :mad:

Scottie
30-07-2013, 06:21 PM
Wow! Bowls WA have certainly come up with an interesting scenario for determining 1-White, 1-Blue and 2nd Division promotions/demotions for 2013-14.
Have a look at it on the Bowls WA web-site, and then figure out the the umpteen possibilities that may occur.

From what I can work out, 9th and 10th placed sides in 1-White will be automatically demoted. The 7th placed 1-White side will play the winner of the 2nd and 3rd placed 1-Blue North (or will that be South?) side, the winner to play in 1-White the following season. Similarly for the 8th placed 1-White side.
So - there could be two, three or four demotions from 1-White.
There could be one or two promotions to 1-White from 1-Blue North, and one or two promotions from 1-Blue South as well.

There will be two automatic demotions from each of the 1-Blue Divisions (one to each of the two "North of the river" and "South of the river" 2nd Division Colours). I assume - although how it was described in an email to me, 2nd Division Red and White sides will play off against the 7th and 8th placed 1-Blue South sides for positions in 1-Blue South for the following year. And similarly 2nd Division Blue and Gold sides will play off against the 7th and 8th placed 1-Blue North sides for positions in 1-Blue North for the following year

So both of the 1-Blue sections could have two, three or four demotions.
And each of the four 2nd Division Sections will have one or two promotions to 1-Blue.

I assume that "who plays who" will be determined by the Pennant points at the end of the home-and-away season of each of the competing sides. Then the semi-finals will be played 1v4 and 2v3 as occurred last season.

Gives you a headache just thinking about it! :listen to me:

Swifty
30-07-2013, 06:32 PM
I've got no bloody idea how it's going to work, Scottie. I've read the blurb in Jack Hi and on the website, but it's not real clear just who will play who. I'm waiting for the fixture book to see if it's any clearer in there.