PDA

View Full Version : What's with the NSW Open??

Paddles
06-10-2009, 02:42 PM
Just looking at the BA and Sporingpulse website for the draw etc, to find what appears to be VERY LITTLE interest, from qualifying through to the actual disciplines, in this years NSW Open.

Does anyone know why, what, or how this is so, or did I miss something?

Round one of the mens fours (which actually had NO Qualifying) even has byes :shock:

I recognise the timing aint right for us Vics but it seems strange to me.

Anyone...anyone...Beuller....Bueller?

06-10-2009, 02:49 PM
Maybe that's the level of interest in the GP's now! Plus it's early in the PL season in NSW. Would this preclude some players from entering?

There's a place for GP events, but as many as we have? I think the recent polls on BA's website and discussion in here has shown many bowlers would prefer National Championships in favour of GP events. Something earned rather than a setsplay lucky dip in the opinion of some :grin:

torrita
06-10-2009, 03:03 PM
No singles, only pairs & fours.

Major Ball
06-10-2009, 03:15 PM
I would enter but when they schedule the qualifying right at the start of the Victorian Pennant season it seems they do not really want Victorians to enter. They just assume people are not interested. Victoria has the 2nd highest population in Australia and a lot of bowlers. A lot of people are put of with the expense of trying to qualify in another state when the prize money for qualifying is zero.

If they want more people from other states to enter they should have a seperate qulaifying in the main states such as QLD, VIC, WA, TAS & SA. No disrepect to ACT but its not that far of a drive :) There is no way I would have travelled to Canberra to qualify for the AO unless I was going there on a holiday already.

Also with the downturn in the economy and peoples Superannuation and investments taking a hammering people are being wiser with their money and see that it is not really good value to travel from interstate to qualify for little return.

But knowing how bowling organistaions think they will be saying people are not interested in lawn bowls anymore, shrug there shoulders and do nothing.

What is the prizemoney for the mens 4? Cant imagine it would cover the expense of people travelling interstate.

Chalks1971
06-10-2009, 04:49 PM
I would enter but when they schedule the qualifying right at the start of the Victorian Pennant season it seems they do not really want Victorians to enter. They just assume people are not interested. Victoria has the 2nd highest population in Australia and a lot of bowlers. A lot of people are put of with the expense of trying to qualify in another state when the prize money for qualifying is zero.

Nor should we really be looking a tthe best time for other states to qualify. Its the NSW Open. Youll probably find theres a number of reasons why qualifying is low.

1. Would be travel, even for some in NSW its a long way to travel.
2. Its been a long season, Our State pennants has just been finalised, in the last couple of months we've had our District/Zone championships.
3. Its of little importance to most NSW bowlers, they would find better value for money heading to a tournament. This would include value for money in accommodation close to the venue.

Theres probably plenty more reasons, including not having a singles but I cant think of them right now.

Wellsy
07-10-2009, 12:52 AM
I'll think you'll find that BA is realising that the Grand Prix series has not been the vehicle that they'd hoped it would be. Along with the ASC report and their own internal findings, I would think there will be a major revamp by 2011 of the whole concept.

The series was designed to unearth and find new talent, but it seems that its developed into the "same old same old" top bowlers turning up and it almost ends up as a training camp.

Let's hope that the next model will be an improvement.

07-10-2009, 12:55 AM
I'll think you'll find that BA is realising that the Grand Prix series has not been the vehicle that they'd hoped it would be. Along with the ASC report and their own internal findings, I would think there will be a major revamp by 2011 of the whole concept.

The series was designed to unearth and find new talent, but it seems that its developed into the "same old same old" top bowlers turning up and it almost ends up as a training camp.

Let's hope that the next model will be an improvement.

You've have a handle on tournament development haven't you Lukey? Could be timely to thrash out a few ideas on the forum...maybe...I know you're a busy man...

Wellsy
07-10-2009, 12:58 AM
Hey Mick. We've got a few things in mind and in development. And yeah, real busy, but hey, it's all good.

07-10-2009, 01:15 AM
Hey Mick. We've got a few things in mind and in development. And yeah, real busy, but hey, it's all good.

Still coming tomorrow night?

Festus Haggen
07-10-2009, 12:48 PM
I see there's only 19 rinks entered for the women's fours. :shock: