PDA

View Full Version : South Pacific Juniors @ Warilla

gavin holburn
16-01-2008, 02:02 PM
Final 16 (Section winners) were;

Ricky Thompson (Dapto Citizens) v Chris Herden (Tamworth)
Kyle Johannes (Warilla) v Chris Luck (Cootamundra)
Andrew Lawrence (Guildford) v Ben Swain (Kingsword)
Martyn Lewis (Glenbrook) v Sam Pryor (Gunnedah)
Martin Rogers (Pennant Hills) v Nick Tongue (Toukey)
Mickey McIntyre (West Dubbo) v Trent Whittingham (Penrith)
Matt McIntyre (West Dubbo) v Michael Bayo (Warilla)
Louren Katague (Merrylands) v BYE

QFinalists
Herden v Johannes
Swain v Prior
Tongue v Whittingham
Matt McIntyre v Katague

Semi Finals (to be played this arvo)
Sam Pryor (Gunnedah) v (probably) Kyle Johannes (Warilla) (still in progress)
Trent Whittingham (Penrith) v Louren Katague (Merrylands)

Louren has become the second giant killing female of the day, eh Bushy??

Chalks1971
16-01-2008, 02:13 PM
Possibility of both titles (Jnr and Snr) going to the one household.

gavin holburn
16-01-2008, 02:23 PM
Yeah, Chalks. That would be a tremendous achievement. Eric definitely showed that he is still in his international form. Kyle is a great kid and a sensational player - just like his dad.
Would be great for the 'double' to occur, but I am keeping my fingers crossed that my protege, Louren, can pull out something special again in the semi to meet Kyle in the Final. :razz:

gavin holburn
16-01-2008, 07:23 PM
Sam Pryor (Gunnedah) lost to Kyle Johannes (Warilla)
Trent Whittingham (Penrith)lost to Louren Katague (Merrylands)

Final on Friday sees the first ever female finalist and current Australian Girls Singles Champion playing the son of the Open South Pacific Champion on his home green.

It is a huge ask for Louren and she is extremely excited at the pospect of playing in such a prestigous final. We have tweaked a few aspects of her game since the NSW/SA/WA tri-series and they have paid off big time.

With Lisa Phillips performing so well at Yallourn this week it should be a cracker of a series NSW v Vic at Culcairn next week.

Congrats to Trent Whittingham in performing so well. He was on the verge of playing Prem League at Penrith last year and has been unlucky in not having more interest from State Officials. He has showed solid form at a high level for a few years now. Great kid also.

Chalks1971
16-01-2008, 07:38 PM
Good luck to both kids on Friday, and through out the tournament.

gavin holburn
16-01-2008, 08:03 PM
Chalks, this is obviously a positive thing you can use with Tayla. She defeated Louren at the CHS Girls singles last year. Whilst I can identify a number of reasons for Louren's loss that day, and Louren still won the section, Tayla is definitely State material. A little more experience and she is there.

Chalks1971
16-01-2008, 11:10 PM
I really dont dwell on past glories, would rather re-inforce her ability to play all the shots, and the old "one game at a time" line.

We havent had a roll for a while, will have to see if shes still interested.

gavin holburn
17-01-2008, 07:23 AM
I really dont dwell on past glories, would rather re-inforce her ability to play all the shots, and the old "one game at a time" line.

We havent had a roll for a while, will have to see if shes still interested.

Totally agree, Chalks, and that is part of the reason for Louren's success. I hope that Tayla is still interested. She has the talent to compete at a high level in junior girls bowls.

Chalks1971
17-01-2008, 02:28 PM
http://illawarra.yourguide.com.au/news/ ... awn-bowls/ (http://illawarra.yourguide.com.au/news/sport/lawn-bowls/)

gavin holburn
17-01-2008, 05:46 PM
Pairs Final, also Friday morning:

Matt McIntyre (Narromine) & Chris Herden (Tamworth)
versus
Dylan Robinson & Tim Farrell (West Dubbo)

gavin holburn
18-01-2008, 11:23 AM
Kyle Johannes won the singles to make it a family double for the Open and Jnr events. Convincing scoreline 31-11.

Chalks1971
18-01-2008, 11:26 AM
Kyle Johannes won the singles to make it a family double for the Open and Jnr events. Convincing scoreline 31-11.

Wow, what happened?

gavin holburn
18-01-2008, 11:41 AM

Wow, what happened?

Not sure, I just spoke to her on the phone with a lot of background noise. It has been raining a bit down this way and Louren tends to drop short a bit on slow greens. But Kyle is a class act and was always gonna be a tough prospect on his home greens.

Louren is pretty positive though and feels as though the plan we put together for this week was a success (obviously) and she showed greatly improved results and attitude compared to her recent bowls. I think she was very happy to be the first female to reach the final in this popular event. She is looking forward to some improved performances next week in the test matches against the Vics.