PDA

View Full Version : Junior competition

Robdog
18-01-2008, 12:11 PM
While its all well and good to see the results of junior tournaments, there's something about it that really gets my goat.

Gavin's thread about the South Pacific Juniors tournament at Warilla recently (currently?) got me thinking.

Why do only the results get posted?

I'm sure that being from NSW and having a far more comprehensive bowls Magazine that us in the ACT, you hear about all these competitions, so fair enough on one level.

I believe that the majority of junior users of this forum are from Victoria, and while I don't know about the quality of the magazine with regard to competition advertising, I know that we in Canberra get NOTHING.

Sure I've heard about the South Pacific open comp, but I didn't see any advertising for it, nor did I know that there was a junior section too.

Just saying it would be nice if information about any junior competitions anywhere could be posted here.

Chalks1971
18-01-2008, 12:14 PM
Why dont you get off youre arse and get friendly with some juniors in NSW, they have a very good network ensuring that most tournaments are widelt publicised amongst them.

Keith Maniac
18-01-2008, 01:33 PM
Why dont you get off youre arse and get friendly with some juniors in NSW, they have a very good network ensuring that most tournaments are widelt publicised amongst them.

A bit harsh, don't ya think, Chalky? :shock:

Robdog has, what seems to me, a legitimate complaint. He shouldn't have to go outside his state/territory to find out about these events ... IF those in power are really serious about promoting the game to a younger demographic??? :roll:

Chalks1971
18-01-2008, 02:17 PM

A bit harsh, don't ya think, Chalky? :shock:

Robdog has, what seems to me, a legitimate complaint. He shouldn't have to go outside his state/territory to find out about these events ... IF those in power are really serious about promoting the game to a younger demographic??? :roll:

Sorry, maybe, it just seems that robdog does seem negative a fair bit.

He also lives in an area smaller then most Zones in NSW. You cant and shouldnt expect eveything done for you.

Im not a junior, but a quick look on the RNSWBA website turns up this.

http://www.rnswba.org.au/RNSWBA/jsp/c_e ... ule=events (http://www.rnswba.org.au/RNSWBA/jsp/c_eventsItem.jsp?categoryID=3&elementID=112&module=events)

Get to a couple of these events and youll no doubt learn of other tournaments through the grapevine.

Yes, I know thats the 2007 Calender, but you can assume that the tournaments are again on in 2008.

eg, Robdog mentions the Junior South Pacific. Well If I look at the calender it was on last year, A quick phone call to a club in the Illawarra and whala I know its on, where its on, and possible accommodation in the area.

gavin holburn
18-01-2008, 03:28 PM
Most NSW Junior tournaments are advertised and filled. Why would they bother advertising in ACT for extra cost? RNSWBA website (as Chalks has mentioned) advertise many of them and this is available to all. Also, as Chalks mentioned, there is an excellent network amongst Junior bowlers, not just within this state but throughout the country.

An event like the Junior South Pacific requires little advertising because it is well known and prestigious and extremely well coordinated and run by some excellent officials. Word gets around.

Robdog
19-01-2008, 07:31 AM
And all it costs anyone on here is a minute or two of their time to post a little information about a tournament.