PDA

View Full Version : Goldfields Challenge

Keith Maniac
08-12-2010, 02:48 PM
I'm heading up the road this weekend with the SECBL team to play two matches against the Kalgoorlie League in the annual "Goldfields Challenge". We play at Kalgoorlie on Saturday and Boulder on Sunday. Should be good. :cool:

I just hope we don't have to play in 44 degrees this time. :mrgreen: :cheers:

Swifty
08-12-2010, 02:57 PM
Good luck, Keith. :get outa here:

But be careful. I've heard some nasty stories about Kalgoorlie. Blokes falling out of bed, or tripping down the stairs after 6 bottles of red. :cheers:

Or is that just our scroungers? :smile:

Keith Maniac
09-12-2010, 01:40 AM
Good luck, Keith. :get outa here:

But be careful. I've heard some nasty stories about Kalgoorlie. Blokes falling out of bed, or tripping down the stairs after 6 bottles of red. :cheers:

Or is that just our scroungers? :smile:

That's scroungers all over WA! :smile: :smile:

Thanks for the wishes, comrade! :cheers:

Keith Maniac
13-12-2010, 12:12 PM
We lost! :listen to me: :listen to me: :listen to me:

Keith Maniac
13-12-2010, 12:13 PM
Well, rather a sorry tale to tell, folks. We trekked up the track and the Kal boys towelled us up, unfortunately. :cry:

We were only 20 shots behind after the first day on Kalgoorlie's sandpit and a lot of the South East Coast boys couldn't adjust to playing on grass, let alone a minefield, but we thought that we would improve on the truer grass at Boulder.

WRONG!!

The Goldfields ended up beating us by 57 shots!

My rink went alright for one and a half games. We won at Kal with a very tight measure on the last end after I'd managed to stand a short bowl up just enough for shot. Boulder was a different story.

We were leading 15-13 after about 10 ends, but then the wheels fell off. My second went missing completely. My leader then started trying "too" hard to make sure he got close because he knew that there was an unlikely prospect of our second backing him up. My third also was trying a bit too hard to save and was consistently short. Result? I crossed over anything up to 5 down for most of the rest of the morning. I managed to pull some shots out of my arse to win the odd end, but mostly I was in damage control. My own game then went a little awry at times and we went down 17-30. With only one winning rink on the second day, we were never in the hunt.

All in all, though, it was a good weekend and shows us that we will need to do some real tweaking before the Inter League Round Robin in the New Year. Some of these blokes were out of their depth, but it may just be that they are a bit spoilt by the Esperance carpet and a couple bumps or tracks can put them right off!