PDA

View Full Version : Shepparton, where the Australian Open is to be held

dunny
26-01-2008, 03:39 PM
we have had our fair share of discussion here about the quality of greens or lack of in melbourne as well as the facilities of the clubs hosting qualifiers for the oz open. how about we come up with some ideas of where it should be held.
for me it should be rotated each year between the states and territories that would give all bowlers from around the country a chance every few years to actually see the event in person without spending a fortune travelling to melbourne.and by taking the event around the country it will give darebin 6 years to get the greens right :mad:

26-01-2008, 03:56 PM
I think before moving it you would need to see where the sponsorship dollars are eminating from.
Just how much does the Vic goverment pour in, and are they still going to put in money if it goes to another state?
Sure, youre a green Dunny and wont like the next line but stick with Darebin but rip out the grass and put in 4 carpets, at least then you should have a good paced even surface for 10 years and all you need in maintenence is a broom to sweep it.
Thats Melbourne and the fickle growing climate they have there where good greens are few and far between, as much as we like grass, finding good grass greens in Melbourne is a hard task, yes, there are some but ask the guys in here to identify them and then find clubs who will even make them available for district championships and even Aus Open Quals and many wont.
Ideally, the Murray or up on the boreder you will get class greens, and almost anywhere except Melbourne you will find the same.
I would like to see it shared around, and many would as well, but being as it is tied to Melbourne for the next 4 years, it may be hard to have it relocated.
Perfect place, greens wise would be Corowa, but whats there and there are no flights direct which is what participants would also like.
Tough call mate. ;)

dunny
26-01-2008, 04:02 PM
I think before moving it you would need to see where the sponsorship dollars are eminating from.
Just how much does the Vic goverment pour in, and are they still going to put in money if it goes to another state?
Sure, youre a green Dunny and wont like the next line but stick with Darebin but rip out the grass and put in 4 carpets, at least then you should have a good paced even surface for 10 years and all you need in maintenence is a broom to sweep it.
Thats Melbourne and the fickle growing climate they have there where good greens are few and far between, as much as we like grass, finding good grass greens in Melbourne is a hard task, yes, there are some but ask the guys in here to identify them and then find clubs who will even make them available for district championships and even Aus Open Quals and many wont.
Ideally, the Murray or up on the boreder you will get class greens, and almost anywhere except Melbourne you will find the same.
I would like to see it shared around, and many would as well, but being as it is tied to Melbourne for the next 4 years, it may be hard to have it relocated.
Perfect place, greens wise would be Corowa, but whats there and there are no flights direct which is what participants would also like.
Tough call mate. ;)im not a fan of synthetic but do support it where there is a need and all else fails,im sure that the majority of people playing in the event would prefer to play on quality grass greens if given a chance

Keith Maniac
26-01-2008, 04:54 PM
Take no notice of Bushy and his "anti-Melbourne greens" attitude. It is obvious that he has little experience on them. :roll:

The problems are purely, simply and entirely centred around Darebin and the continuing botch ups there. There are plenty of greens running 15 plus at this very moment in Melbourne. Clayton has but three. Yarraville/Footscray and Altona also come to mind. It's a long time since I've played at Buckley Park, but I remember their greens as being slick. All of these clubs and many others could easily fill in for a year while they finally get Darebin right. Y/F held it successfully after the first year botch up, at very short notice.

As for the original thrust of this thread; it has been brought up before, but I agree with rotating the Open each year. But more importantly, no matter where the Open is held, qualifying SHOULD be held in each state or territory rather than in the state where the main event is being staged.

It's fairly simple, really! :roll:

oz1235
26-01-2008, 05:36 PM
Take no notice of Bushy and his "anti-Melbourne greens" attitude. It is obvious that he has little experience on them. :roll:

The problems are purely, simply and entirely centred around Darebin and the continuing botch ups there. There are plenty of greens running 15 plus at this very moment in Melbourne. Clayton has but three. Yarraville/Footscray and Altona also come to mind. It's a long time since I've played at Buckley Park, but I remember their greens as being slick. All of these clubs and many others could easily fill in for a year while they finally get Darebin right. Y/F held it successfully after the first year botch up, at very short notice.

As for the original thrust of this thread; it has been brought up before, but I agree with rotating the Open each year. But more importantly, no matter where the Open is held, qualifying SHOULD be held in each state or territory rather than in the state where the main event is being staged.

I think The Groups or District should put a Bid in to the Bowls Aust a la Olympics style(but not the 7 year wait)

26-01-2008, 05:56 PM
By simply mentioning "Bushy and his "anti-Melbourne greens" attitude" it shows that you do acknowledge them :mrgreen:
One only need read the comments in other threads regarding where players are drawn to play and few say they are happy about where they are drawn to play at.
I have already acknowledged there are some good greens in Melbourne as you also point out.
Clayton is not being used for the open, I played Footscray yarraville last year and it ran 11 to 12 seconds and Altona may well run ok but that green I do not have any knowledge of.
Also it must be remembered that with 2 hour time limits greens will, no doubt, be kept slow in an effort to have games finish on time, that in itself is a pretty damning indictment on the open because we all appreciate faster tracks and not "Rakers paradises"
I agree qualifiers should all be played in other States and those who qualify interstate should go directly into the main draw, not be made to enter into further quals on arrival.
This however could see an interstate winner arrive to play only one game, be defeated and have to go home, and with that thought in mind many may still be reluctant to come so a rethink of the format would also have to take place.
Fairly Simple?
Rather complex I would say!
Be interesting to view other comments.

dunny
26-01-2008, 05:58 PM

I think The Groups or District should put a Bid in to the Bowls Aust a la Olympics style(but not the 7 year wait)so u think that all shoud have to travel to melbourne each year to play in this event :?:

Stuart
26-01-2008, 06:55 PM
All the qualifiers for the australian open tennis were played in melbourne, why should bowls be the same??

26-01-2008, 07:00 PM
All the qualifiers for the australian open tennis were played in melbourne, why should bowls be the same??
Play for a 1.3 million dollar first prize purse like they do and im sure no one would object :mrgreen:

oz1235
26-01-2008, 09:54 PM
[quote="Keith Maniac":gk46a93a]Take no notice of Bushy and his "anti-Melbourne greens" attitude. It is obvious that he has little experience on them. :roll:

I think The Groups or District should put a Bid in to the Bowls Aust a la Olympics style(but not the 7 year wait)so u think that all shoud have to travel to melbourne each year to play in this event :?:[/quote:gk46a93a]

When i say groups, I do mean Districts or Areas. Never said Melbourne.

dunny
27-01-2008, 07:13 AM
not many areas in the country would be able to accomodate that many bowlers

Commie
27-01-2008, 08:57 AM
If there's going to be a time limit, they may as well be on the slow Melbourne greens. :smile: :smile: :smile:

Vicious
27-01-2008, 12:03 PM
Taren Point in Sydney

4TG
27-01-2008, 12:10 PM
King Island is central :smile:

14-06-2008, 08:47 AM
RED HOT TIP
SHEPPARTON PARK B.C.

You heard it here first :cool:

15-06-2008, 11:14 AM
Go Frangars!

Commie
16-06-2008, 02:09 PM
Alice Springs has wow factor.

redliner
16-06-2008, 02:21 PM
It won't be Shepparton, you heard it here 2nd :!:

PB
16-06-2008, 02:24 PM

Heard that rumour too. But also heard that it might well be going bush still.

16-06-2008, 02:25 PM

Heard that rumour too. But also heard that it might well be going bush still.

Neither Shep or Bendigo have shown any real enthusiasm, but on the other hand Frankston has been busting a gut to get it! We will see this week I believe!

redliner
16-06-2008, 02:26 PM
It sure will.........Bendigo is it......done & dusted.....lock it in Eddie :!:

JB
16-06-2008, 02:42 PM

i don't agree with this decision :shock: :shock:

dunny
16-06-2008, 02:44 PM

i don't agree with this decision :shock: :shock:u want to phone a friend jb :mrgreen:

16-06-2008, 02:46 PM
:grin: Let me see, I tipped WA to win the Premier league playoff.

Carlton to beat Collingwood. (Actually won $10 on that one)

And of course the doggies to win again, so heres two more tips, Shepparton and The Doggies to beat Collingwood ;)

That should make 5 out of 5 not too bad :mrgreen:

JB
16-06-2008, 02:46 PM

i don't agree with this decision :shock: :shock:u want to phone a friend jb :mrgreen:

can i???

16-06-2008, 02:49 PM
:grin: Let me see, I tipped WA to win the Premier league playoff.

Carlton to beat Collingwood. (Actually won $10 on that one)
And of course the doggies to win again, so heres two more tips, Shepparton and The Doggies to beat Collingwood ;)

That should make 5 out of 5 not too bad :mrgreen:

Oh so you do bet! You are a grab bag of contradictions aren't you Stan! Buck, buck, buck...

PB
16-06-2008, 02:49 PM

can i???

But will they give you the anwer you want?

Also Bushy what odds are you giving on Bendigo?

16-06-2008, 02:53 PM
RED HOT TIP
SHEPPARTON PARK B.C.

I have been informed by a reputable party this is correct, however, unlike some, if im wrong I will wear that and not go into denial.

Odds, based on this persons knowledge, id say pretty good, how about 2 to 1 ;)

16-06-2008, 02:54 PM

can i???

But will they give you the anwer you want?

Also Bushy what odds are you giving on Bendigo?

He doesn't bet, oh yeah, he does bet! :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: He probably bets on stuff he thinks he has at least half a chance, but not bowls! :smile: :smile:

PB
16-06-2008, 02:56 PM
I have been informed by a reputable party this is correct, however, unlike some, if im wrong I will wear that and not go into denial.

It seems like some normally very reliable sources are wrong. Out of interest has anyone actually heard solid rumours of Frankston?

16-06-2008, 02:59 PM

It seems like some normally very reliable sources are wrong. Out of interest has anyone actually heard solid rumours of Frankston?
Lets just say the Tweed Heads Bowls Site doesnt usually post rumours on their front page ;) ;)

16-06-2008, 03:00 PM

I've heard plenty of rumours about Frankston. But none of them involve bowls :smile: :smile: :smile:

16-06-2008, 03:01 PM

The blokes that made the application were at the forum last Saturday and informed us that they had yet recieved no answer but that the decision was pending. They said their financial input may have been a bit light on but the Frankston council is very eager to host the event.

Commie
16-06-2008, 03:31 PM

The blokes that made the application were at the forum last Saturday and informed us that they had yet recieved no answer but that the decision was pending. They said their financial input may have been a bit light on but the Frankston council is very eager to host the event.

That probably killed the deal for them, judging by the Barham experience.

Perko
16-06-2008, 09:56 PM
Frankston BC is putting in another Tiff this coming summer, I wouldn't imagine it been ready for the OZ open. I will find out more

jjk
17-06-2008, 07:58 AM
Announcement on the venue is to be made this morning. When I hear where I will post it.

Perko
17-06-2008, 08:27 AM
OZ open has been cancelled

JB
17-06-2008, 08:27 AM

WHAT???!

17-06-2008, 09:38 AM
Has ABN Amro pulled out? Wouldn't be surprised.

PB
17-06-2008, 09:44 AM

When was this announced? Big blow to BA

17-06-2008, 09:45 AM

Perko may yet be pulling our leg :???:

redliner
17-06-2008, 09:48 AM
See what you've done Perko :!: you have frightened the crap out some of your mates with your joke. AO will still go ahead with all those qualifying changes announced yesterday(http://www.bowlsaustralia.com.au/australianopen/09 ) at a venue yet to be announced but it will be BENDIGO..... Go cut some grass :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

17-06-2008, 09:49 AM

:smile: YA RECKON MIKE??? :smile:

PB
17-06-2008, 09:56 AM

Wouldn't put it past him, but then again also wouldn't put it past BA to cancel the event if ABN Amro have pulled out either.

jjk
17-06-2008, 02:32 PM
just heard that the person that will be making the announcement at BA is away sick. Will have to wait until tomorrow.

17-06-2008, 02:36 PM
just heard that the person that will be making the announcement at BA is away sick. Will have to wait until tomorrow.
He's away sick because he can't face having to tell the bowling public that the AO is cancelled. Isn't that right Perko ;)

JB
17-06-2008, 02:51 PM
:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Commie
17-06-2008, 03:01 PM
:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

jjk
24-06-2008, 12:33 PM
Just heard from my contact the 2009 Open is being held at
Shepparton Mooroopna. Book your accommodation now.

24-06-2008, 01:04 PM
RED HOT TIP
SHEPPARTON PARK B.C.

Thanks for the confirmation JJK

I am on the ball on a few things :smile: :smile:

Page 2 now makes for some good reflections, no editing please :smile: :smile: http://forums.bowlsworld.com.au/viewtop ... c&start=15 (http://forums.bowlsworld.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=2602&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15)

PB
24-06-2008, 03:19 PM
Bushman you make that many statements and considering the odds you will get some right purely out of luck.

24-06-2008, 04:01 PM
Bushman you make that many statements and considering the odds you will get some right purely out of luck.
Now dont have a hissyfit pb :smile:

5 out of 5 wasnt too bad, but I was pretty sure on the Shep thing.

Hey ya gotta have a larf when you can ;)

Perko
29-06-2008, 05:32 PM
Davo could make a killing on this.
I know where im camping

Davo
29-06-2008, 06:20 PM
I know where im camping

Plenty of room in my shed Perko!! :razz:

Perko
29-06-2008, 06:51 PM
I know where im camping

Plenty of room in my shed Perko!! :razz:
Thats fine mate
just make sure you load the fridge up

30-06-2008, 02:34 PM
Its official now, but some knew 2 weeks ago :smile: :smile:
2009 AO venue will be shepparton bowling club and Mooroopna Bowls club

http://www.bowlsaustralia.com.au/austra ... index.html (http://www.bowlsaustralia.com.au/australianopen/09/index.html)

30-06-2008, 03:01 PM
Only one doubt surrounding what could be the best Australian Open yet and that is the cloud that hangs over just where the Victorian Qualifying will take place.

Whilst Shep and Moroopna have been given the nod for the staging of the event, there will still be many who will have to play to qualify and will that also be in the Murray Valley at all surrounding clubs, or will the qualifiers still play in Melbourne?

Even the release from Bowls Australia states TBC which I would take as being "To Be Confirmed".

If that were the case then qualifying in Melbourne then travelling to Shep and then finding accomadation could be an interesting process because who is going to know in advance they will definately qualify, and perhaps with so many visiting and spectating as well, it might be hard finding a bed?

Anyone heard any whispers on this account?

JB
30-06-2008, 03:02 PM
it'll have the lowest field numbers ever. mark these words. :???: :???:

KingOfDraw
30-06-2008, 03:21 PM
it'll have the lowest field numbers ever. mark these words. :???: :???:

I completely agree.
The AO is becoming less popular by the year.

30-06-2008, 03:29 PM
What with qualifying in every state now and it not having the tag of the Victorian Open any longer Also not being played in Melbourne this once I think numbers will be very good, but then its a wait and see proposition.

A lot will depend on what decision BA makes on the Victorian Qualifying venues, if they are in Melbourne and the event is held in Shepparton, unless they are weeks apart, many wont enter thinking they may not be able to get accomadation at very short notice.

If however Quals are local to shepparton leading up to the event then I believe more will play.

The venue is determined, just a doubt now as to the Victorian Qualifying venues.

dunny
30-06-2008, 03:40 PM
the success of the australian open should not be judged on the 1 week of bowls that was previously in melbourne which included qualifying and the final 64. it should be judged on total numbers who particapate in qualifying, i feel that will now be far greater as many from non victorian states refused to travel in hope of qualifying and then playing finals totalling 1 week away from home, now u can qualify in your own state then head on the long trip to victoria if qualified and only require 1-3 days off work. im sure we will see a greater number of qualifiers enter from qld and nsw and wa due to this

JB
30-06-2008, 03:44 PM
What with qualifying in every state now and it not having the tag of the Victorian Open any longer Also not being played in Melbourne this once I think numbers will be very good, but then its a wait and see proposition.

A lot will depend on what decision BA makes on the Victorian Qualifying venues, if they are in Melbourne and the event is held in Shepparton, unless they are weeks apart, many wont enter thinking they may not be able to get accomadation at very short notice.

If however Quals are local to shepparton leading up to the event then I believe more will play.

The venue is determined, just a doubt now as to the Victorian Qualifying venues.

Bushy, i think you're letting you're dislike for Melb and your want for it to succeed outside of Melb sway you're opinion. these are my reasons why i think that;
1. Numbers - whats the population of Melb Metro vs. Country Vic (all of it). How easy is it for Metro bowlers to manipulate time off work to allow them to bowl in this event? i'd say there is a 5-15% loss there alone

2. The Cost - you think people from the Pennisular, Gippsland or S/W Vic are going to travel all the way up to Shepp for this event? i honestly think that, with the price of fuel, plus accomodation, that this is now a major factor. i think you'll find alot of people that had to travel to Melb in the past could at least stay with friends/family.

3. ITS IN SHEP!

Whether its Melb or not, i think it need to be held in a capital city. :???:

PB
30-06-2008, 04:09 PM

I actually have a major problem with the whole plan, Shep has a limited amount of accommodation available and if you put qualifying up there then you create even more problems.

1. Where do people stay.
2. What do you do about interstate people arriving a few days early to adjust and feel comfortable.
3. Where the hell do you play all the qualifying, there isn't room in the shep area to hold all the Vic qualifying.

I believe the decision to hold the Aus Open there will in fact lead to the lowest amount of entries for qualifying yet, even though you actually get to play on decent greens. The cost is too high unless you make through to the money.

JB
30-06-2008, 04:13 PM
spot on, Griffo.

30-06-2008, 04:22 PM
All I see really are city based bowlers not wanting to travel to the country for once.

You must remember that this is an event for all of Australia, not just for the melbourne Bowlers.

I just did a quick google of accomadation in Shep and there are heaps of motels caravan parks hotels etc as well as other types such as backpackers and even private boarding houses.

Every time we want to play the open and are resident in the country, we have to travel to the city, yet you dont see too many complaints from the country people.

And also remember, if I am in Albury I have a 2 hour drive to shep and from Ararat its a 3 hour drive, so im in the same boat as everyone else.

I think the main objection here from the city dwellers is that this once, and its a once only, they cant play bowls then go home to their bed at night, am I right ;)

30-06-2008, 04:33 PM
That's not the point Bushy. There are thousands more bowlers closer to a club in Melbourne than in Shep. The Melbourne metro area (say 40km radius from Melbourne GPO) would have thousands more potential entrants than a 40km radiius around Shep.

It's not that city and interstate people won't enter, it's that not as many will enter. The QLD Open and the NSW Open, although held in the capital cities of those states currently, would have the same problem if moved to regional/rural areas of those states.

JB
30-06-2008, 04:34 PM
All I see really are city based bowlers not wanting to travel to the country for once.

You must remember that this is an event for all of Australia, not just for the melbourne Bowlers.

I just did a quick google of accomadation in Shep and there are heaps of motels caravan parks hotels etc as well as other types such as backpackers and even private boarding houses.

Every time we want to play the open and are resident in the country, we have to travel to the city, yet you dont see too many complaints from the country people.

And also remember, if I am in Albury I have a 2 hour drive to shep and from Ararat its a 3 hour drive, so im in the same boat as everyone else.

I think the main objection here from the city dwellers is that this once, and its a once only, they cant play bowls then go home to their bed at night, am I right ;)

PB's comment RE accomadation has weight and like i pointed out, alot more people that are travelling down would know someone in Melb that they can stay with....how many people know someone in Shep?

and lets not forget Public Transport, what sort does Shep offer? for those that don't have a vehicle up there, how will they make their way too and from club to their accomodation?

i have no problems with travel and do so for alot of country based tournies....ie Deni Pairs and Albury Triples, but this event is going to have alot more participants than the two i've just mentioned. And Bushy, have you actually spent a night in Shep? or stayed at some of the caravan parks you've mentioned......wow!

and you're still to address the petrol factor. the last time i checked Shep doesn't have a great airport. for most interstaters it'll be a matter of flying into Melb then either taking a train, bus or driving themselves up there...WTF. are BA going to subsidise their fare? i think not.

30-06-2008, 04:44 PM
Have you read the BA link at all JB, something in there about BA running busses from Melbourne to Shep ;)

JB
30-06-2008, 04:49 PM
Have you read the BA link at all JB, something in there about BA running busses from Melbourne to Shep ;)

no i haven't and don't care to as it has no impact on me.

my queries are though;

how many?

how frequently?

where are they dropping off?

and, how will a participant get around Shep if they take this option?

30-06-2008, 04:52 PM

no i haven't and don't care to as it has no impact on me.

my queries are though;

how many?

how frequently?

where are they dropping off?

and, how will a participant get around Shep if they take this option?
Can I suggest then sending an email to Bowls Australia, I am sure they will address your concerns poste haste ;)

JB
30-06-2008, 05:02 PM
you can, but i won't be doing it as i hope it fails up there!

this is just another example of the powers at be making a decision without consultation with the games stakeholders. its more autocratic than the AFL and thats really saying something. there is no accountability down in Burwood Rd.

F them. i hope it bites them right on the arse. it seems thats the only way they take notice of anything. i mean, do they have any system for process in that place?

:???: :???: :???:

Commie
30-06-2008, 05:05 PM
Why will an Oz Open at Shepparton be any different to the Victorian Open when it was at Barham? If you take an event away from a major city, you will lose entrants.

30-06-2008, 05:16 PM
If, as I suspect will happen, the Victorian Qualifying is held in the Melbourne Metro area, and no I do not have confirmation that this is what will happen, but if it does, a maximum of 160 people from Melbourne, or basically 160 people who qualify from the Victorian qualifiers, because even if you are from NSW or anywhere you can still enter in the Victorian Qualifiers, you dont have to be resident in Victoria to do so, however, only 160 will play the first knockouts, this is across all elements that are to be played, singles pairs triples and also both male and female.

So you will have 160 people from the Victorian Qualifying venturing to play on the first day and of those many will be eliminated and most will choose not to remain and will not need accomadation.

If you lost your first game you are gone, so are you going to remain there?

Ahh too many ifs buts and wild promises for me but all I will say is for me personally I like the idea of the country venue. ;)

Specky
30-06-2008, 06:33 PM
I'm one of those who have been an advocate for qualifying events in each state, but now it will be interesting to see how Bowls Oz manages the draw when you have people entering these other events for the experience alone, and maybe qualify but have no intention of travelling for the main event.

If you look at previous years there have been quite a few forfeits in the first round of the singles.

What guarantees or sanctions will they ask for or impose on those who qualify to avoid these problems. :?:

30-06-2008, 11:42 PM
What you say is correct Specky and we have all seen the people who seem to treat these qualifiers as just bragging rights to say they have competed and virtually treat the event as a game of social bowls, however, some of these types actually win, have no intention of going any further and basically put someone out who is fair dinkum about winning.

But what do you do about them, enforce a fine for a forfiet?

Is that going to work?

There are occasionaly guenuine cases where some will not be available for something legitimate but these others are a real annoyance, just this year I saw a reasonably high profile bowler win in a singles event and he announced to all that he would not be returning for the knockout finals.

He had already known that had he won, he was withdrawing to play at another tournament, took 3 others out of the event and had no intention of continuing.

If you qualify in say Western Australia, are you going to travel to Victoria with the knowledge that you may play one game and be on your way home?

I think those who qualify for more than one event may make a priority of making the trip, but surely some will not.

So should "Best Losers" fill vacancies of those who withdraw prior to the commencement of the Knockout rounds?

Interesting point. :neutral:

01-07-2008, 11:43 AM
Just to add a little to this seeing as no one is posting today :razz:

Qualifying in Victoria will take place from the 11th to the 13th of Feb and the actual open gets underway from the 15th to the 21st of feb at Shepparton.

Where the actual qualifying will take place at I have yet to discover but as per my previous post my suspicion would be Melbourne Metro.

Thanks to the RVBA website the following statement is on their front page verbatim. :mrgreen:

Shepparton the Envy of Regional Victoria

The RVBA and VLBA are pleased to announce that the 2009 Australian Open will be staged in regional Victoria next year after Shepparton was awarded the honours.

Sheppard Park’s joint bid with Mooroopna Bowls Club was a standout amongst those applications placed with Bowls Australia.

With Darebin out of contention next year due to the renovation of its greens, Bowls Australia was looking for the best club(s) to host this event. Shepparton Park and Mooroopna both have excellent greens and superb resources and facilities to host Australia’s most prestige event on the annual bowls calendar.

The 2009 Australian Open will be staged from February 15 to 21.

A formal launch of the event will be held in late July in conjunction with the Victorian Government, the Greater Shepparton Council and the host clubs.

CONGRATULATIONS TO SHEPPARTON PARK AND MOOROOPNA BOLWING CLUBS!

(I think it should read Shepparton Park in red and I think we have Bowling Clubs not BOLWING) :smile: ;)

01-07-2008, 04:36 PM
In reply to KO'ds post and also Backhanders regardless of what I think of Metro Greens the decision has been made to play the open for one single year at Shepparton, and I ask is that really so bad?

So far every complaint I have read about it going to shep has been from a Metro Bowler, and I wonder if this is because some believe they have been taken out of their comfort zone in that they will not be playing the usual slower greens Melbourne produces, as surely faster greens will take the "Rakers" out of the game, also some see that they will have to travel and be accomodated in Shepparton, however they forget that in order to play at Shep they will have to qualify first, and only 160 bowlers in total from the Victorian qualifiers will even get to play at Shepparton.

To address the question about Claytons greens KO'D they may well be great, the reports I have heard are that they do play well, and I am sure that other greens in Melbourne play well also, and you state they can be made to run fast, however at what times of the year and how often?

It is not only me who hates dead slow greens, some relish them, some have a speciality in playing this type of green because that is all they are ever faced with and many of these are the ones who cry foul when put on Carpets and Synthetics because they cannot handle pace.

Give me a green any time playing 13 seconds and above and I enjoy my game, give me a wet dead track with runs in it and I dont enjoy it, am I so different to many other bowlers in that I prefer good greens?

Trentan
01-07-2008, 04:50 PM
Why did the post get removed?????

The thread was about where it is held not where it should be held

I rest my case..... :smile:

01-07-2008, 04:52 PM
Why did the post get removed?????

The thread was about where it is held not where it should be held

I rest my case..... :smile:
I have fixed that too now stirrer :cool: ;) :smile:

Davo
01-07-2008, 06:06 PM
For those who haven't played at Shepp Park i can assure you that the facilities are first rate & the greens very good. Mooroopna BCs greens are also very good to play on.

There is also plenty of reasonably priced accommodation in the Shepp/Mooroopna area.

Since the upgrades to the Hume & GV Hwys it is basically duel carraige way all the way from Melbourne & is only a 2hr trip tops.

I think the crowds will be very good & it's great that Shepp/Mooroopna get this one off chance to host the Oz Open.

I should add that i'm biassed about this because i'm in Numurkah & only 20mins drive from Shepp!! :mrgreen: :razz:

Commie
02-07-2008, 12:52 PM
For those who haven't played at Shepp Park i can assure you that the facilities are first rate & the greens very good. Mooroopna BCs greens are also very good to play on.

There is also plenty of reasonably priced accommodation in the Shepp/Mooroopna area.

Since the upgrades to the Hume & GV Hwys it is basically duel carraige way all the way from Melbourne & is only a 2hr trip tops.

I think the crowds will be very good & it's great that Shepp/Mooroopna get this one off chance to host the Oz Open.

I should add that i'm biassed about this because i'm in Numurkah & only 20mins drive from Shepp!! :mrgreen: :razz:

So we'll all be just 20min drive from Shep, then. ;) ;) ;) :smile: :smile: :smile:

02-07-2008, 12:59 PM
i will await the complaints from the interstate players when they find out they will jump off the plane and only have a lazy 3hr drive to shepp.

atleast it gives the country people the opputunity not to travel as far.

i wonder if many metro players will be attending.

i for one wont be attending as i can not justify the expenses going to shep.

02-07-2008, 01:34 PM
i will await the complaints from the interstate players when they find out they will jump off the plane and only have a lazy 3hr drive to shepp. Addressed already by Bowls Australia, read link, they are providing buses direct from Melbourne

At least it gives the country people the opputunity not to travel as far.
Not in all cases, if you live in Gippsland or Warnambool etc you will have twice the distance to travel, will depend on location however someone living in say Bendigo might save 15 minutes as compared to travelling to Melbourne

I wonder if many metro players will be attending.
As many as are good enough to actually get through qualifying I would think ;)

I for one wont be attending as i can not justify the expenses going to shep.Country Bowlers face these expenses every time they play in Melbourne dont they? Does it deter them from events such as the Richmond Union Masters where they could simply play one game and be gone?

Amazed that I have never seen Country Bowlers have a whinge about having to travel to the City to play but an event that has been put in the bush once has so many gripes ;)

pod24
02-07-2008, 02:08 PM
I have to agree with you on this one Bushy, us country folk have to travel to compete in any worthwhile event, as i did in Aus open last year. 3 hour drive down, 2 nights accom. I'll play next year too, I work, have family and can only afford limited events, but the travel and added costs is an every day burden when you are in the country.
I Dont complain (often), and I think the City bowlers should'nt complain for this year either

PB
02-07-2008, 02:36 PM
So the RVBA will run buses up, but where from?

History says they'll probably start them at one of the most inaccessible clubs for public transport in Darebin. :smile: :smile:

Stuart
02-07-2008, 02:50 PM
something like 3 out of 4 victorians live in melbourne and surrounding suburbs, surely we should be catering for the majority.. :grin:

02-07-2008, 02:53 PM
something like 3 out of 4 victorians live in melbourne and surrounding suburbs, surely we should be catering for the majority.. :grin:If it were the "Victorian Open" an event strictly for Victorians, yeah Stuart I would agree, but isnt it called The Australian Open" for all of Australia :?: :twisted:

Stuart
02-07-2008, 03:00 PM
something like 3 out of 4 victorians live in melbourne and surrounding suburbs, surely we should be catering for the majority.. :grin:If it were the "Victorian Open" an event strictly for Victorians, yeah Stuart I would agree, but isnt it called The Australian Open" for all of Australia :?: :twisted:

well it is held in victoria, and anyway, if that is your reasoning, why dont we hold it in alice springs?, much more central for all australians :mrgreen:

pod24
02-07-2008, 03:05 PM
Stuart, 3 out of 4 vics might live in Melb, but how many bowlers live outside of it???

Stuart
02-07-2008, 03:16 PM
Stuart, 3 out of 4 vics might live in Melb, but how many bowlers live outside of it???

who knows? I sure don't :?: , but if BA are committed to hold the aus open in victoria, doesn't it makes sence to hold it where more people can attend?

02-07-2008, 03:25 PM
i will await the complaints from the interstate players when they find out they will jump off the plane and only have a lazy 3hr drive to shepp. Addressed already by Bowls Australia, read link, they are providing buses direct from Melbourne

At least it gives the country people the opputunity not to travel as far.
Not in all cases, if you live in Gippsland or Warnambool etc you will have twice the distance to travel, will depend on location however someone living in say Bendigo might save 15 minutes as compared to travelling to Melbourne

I wonder if many metro players will be attending.
As many as are good enough to actually get through qualifying I would think ;)

I for one wont be attending as i can not justify the expenses going to shep.Country Bowlers face these expenses every time they play in Melbourne dont they? Does it deter them from events such as the Richmond Union Masters where they could simply play one game and be gone?

Amazed that I have never seen Country Bowlers have a whinge about having to travel to the City to play but an event that has been put in the bush once has so many gripes ;)

i think you are mis-quoting me their bushy i was just saying its good that country people dont have to travel as far i dont recall anything else.

i know you say that country have to travel but where do they travel richmond masters???? big deal.

look at what the country hold.

most state pennant finals for most grades
most state championships
the group sides championships

should i go on

yeah right country bolwers are so hard done by with the big events :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

02-07-2008, 03:41 PM
I replied to each question as it was posted Gaz but of the four highlighted couldnt see a misquote but if you read that into the reply somehow I apologise.

As for your statement about championships being spread around the Country areas, again we have the same scenario regards travel though.

A team from Gippsland drawn to play a championship in Mildura is going to have to travel a hell of a lot further than a Melbourne based one and a team from Bendigo will travel much the same distance to Mildura as a Melbourne side and plenty of these championships are also played in their finals in Melbourne pal ;)

The event is in Shepparton, its the one and only time it will be there, get over it and move on, if its a flop, and I doubt it will be, im sure everyone will complain even more, and if its a great success, im sure many will still find something wrong :smile:

backhand_smack
02-07-2008, 04:24 PM
I think its great for Shepp and Maroopna and great for Country Vic. One can only hope its run and far more sucessful than the one they held in Barham?

Commie
02-07-2008, 04:32 PM
I think its great for Shepp and Maroopna and great for Country Vic. One can only hope its run and far more sucessful than the one they held in Barham?

Yep, the way the schedule at Barham fell apart was a complete joke.

Paddles
02-07-2008, 05:13 PM
I agree Commie but who is to blame for that..the local club or BA?
I think all host clubs do their best for these events but maybe faulter when the heat is on??!??

Lefty
03-07-2008, 12:27 PM

Yep, the way the schedule at Barham fell apart was a complete joke.

I was at Barham and seem to remember it was Bowls Australia and the aussie squad needs / desires that ended up in changes to scheduled play. The good folk at Barham did an awesome job. I know Barham declined hosting again as it ended up costing them more than was worthwhile.