PDA

View Full Version : In Winning, How Important Is.......................

01-02-2008, 12:06 AM
If you are serious about performing well, just how important is fitness in Bowls?
What of Hydration in a full days play?
I mean in Team events for instance where players are required, at times, to stand, in heat wind or sometimes even drizzly rain and maintain concentration over a whole day.
Do the silly little things like, when you see someone eating bananas for instance really help, or is this just showmanship?
Some peoples idea of hydration in this sport is of the Alchoholic type, is this actually detrimental to them?
And is there a way of sustaining complete concentration for a whole day?
Does all this sports physcology stuff have a place in this sport?
Or do we all simply go out for enjoyment and winning is a Bonus? ;)

eelynot
01-02-2008, 07:38 AM
In bowls I believe mental fitness is just as important as physical fitness, had on opponent comment last week about playing us at home on our plastic, " We're always with you blokes to about the 70 end mark and then you run over the top of us, we just cant concentrate on this stuff the way you blokes can " This was the second top team and we beat the top team the week before at home ( two in a row at home whoa )
Having only gone to my club this year I have to agree with him, I found it very mentally straining at the start of the season to concentrate on the plastic , because any slightly ordinary bowl makes you look stupid, you soon learn to make sure you concentrate all day but you regularly come off mentally stuffed.
As for hydration . before the game 4 pots and dont partake again until the tea break and the last 5 ends , works for me ( I do water up from end 1 to 20 )

Commie
01-02-2008, 09:36 AM
You need to avoid dehydration as your brain shrinks, and that's gonna affect concentration levels.

hillsy
01-02-2008, 09:51 AM
If you are serious about performing well, just how important is fitness in Bowls?
What of Hydration in a full days play?
I mean in Team events for instance where players are required, at times, to stand, in heat wind or sometimes even drizzly rain and maintain concentration over a whole day.
Do the silly little things like, when you see someone eating bananas for instance really help, or is this just showmanship?
Some peoples idea of hydration in this sport is of the Alchoholic type, is this actually detrimental to them?And is there a way of sustaining complete concentration for a whole day?
Does all this sports physcology stuff have a place in this sport?
Or do we all simply go out for enjoyment and winning is a Bonus? ;)

Maybe unc ken would be the right man to answer this question. Or maybe his team mates. :cheers: :smile: :smile:

Chalks1971
01-02-2008, 10:05 AM
Physical fitness has to be rated up there with mental fitness. You dont need to be thin (although it helps) or ultra fit, but you must have flexibility and the ability to play with the same delivery all day, it does wear you down eventually.

psst
01-02-2008, 10:12 AM
I remember speaking to an Australian World Pairs gold medal winner after playing with him in a tournament last year.

He was a Wallaby as well and understands fitness (as much as Rubgy players were in his day) and after looking at the demanding draw for the WC decided that fitness would come into play as much as playing ability.

He went into a fitness regime that he had used in football for two months before the WC and came away with the gold.

If it worked in 1980 then it still works today.

Scottie
01-02-2008, 11:59 AM
... And is there a way of sustaining complete concentration for a whole day?

Doc Oakley (West Australian who was previously a Commonwealth Games player and Selector) has said that no-one can concentrate for a whole game - let alone a whole day.
He emphasised concentrating on your shot to be played and your delivery - and RELAX your mind when your opponent is playing

Major Ball
01-02-2008, 12:35 PM
I am not the fittest guy going around. I think you can be conditioned to play without needing to be fit. You have to look after yourself if playing a few consecutive days. Drinking plenty of water to rehydrate is a must.

I have a quick delivery so I dont waste to much mentally on the mat when I am playing. Some may argue I have very little mentally anyhow :mrgreen:

Try playing 3 days after getting sunburnt on the first!! You need to look after yourself and I rarely drink Achohol when playing a tournament unless I lose a few games :lol:

Chalks1971
01-02-2008, 12:38 PM
I am not the fittest guy going around. I think you can be conditioned to play without needing to be fit. You have to look after yourself if playing a few consecutive days. Drinking plenty of water to rehydrate is a must.

I have a quick delivery so I dont waste to much mentally on the mat when I am playing. Some may argue I have very little mentally anyhow :mrgreen:

Try playing 3 days after getting sunburnt on the first!! You need to look after yourself and I rarely drink Achohol when playing a tournament unless I lose a few games :lol:

What, not even after the games?

Major Ball
01-02-2008, 12:47 PM

What, not even after the games?

I meant to say during the day..Always like to slide down a few after each days play.

damienj
02-02-2008, 01:02 AM

Doc Oakley (West Australian who was previously a Commonwealth Games player and Selector) has said that no-one can concentrate for a whole game - let alone a whole day.
He emphasised concentrating on your shot to be played and your delivery - and RELAX your mind when your opponent is playing

Thats pretty smart, not a bad way o looking at it...it you were to nitpit, on a 14 second green, you have to be at ultimum concentration for 14seconds x 2 bowls x 25 ends (no deadies) whatever the hell that equals, thats the base time per 6 hour pennant game you MUST be at full concentration...

all members must be concentration on all bowls in a rink if their fair dinkum, not just the skip, all members must be keen observers of the goings on, but thats a base figure (whatever the figure is, mathematicians out there?) its not that hard to stay fully focused for that amount of time is it?

02-02-2008, 06:46 AM

Thats pretty smart, not a bad way o looking at it...it you were to nitpit, on a 14 second green, you have to be at ultimum concentration for 14seconds x 2 bowls x 25 ends (no deadies) whatever the hell that equals, thats the base time per 6 hour pennant game you MUST be at full concentration...

all members must be concentration on all bowls in a rink if their fair dinkum, not just the skip, all members must be keen observers of the goings on, but thats a base figure (whatever the figure is, mathematicians out there?) its not that hard to stay fully focused for that amount of time is it?
11m 40s over 6 hours. Now that's not a big ask is it! :smile: :smile:

I would content that the skip and third are concentrating longer than that as they are strategising and controlling the head.

psst
02-02-2008, 07:15 AM
Hey MW does the six hours include 2 or 3 in the bar? The extra 4 ends in Vic can't take that long can they. :grin:

Greenmaster
02-02-2008, 08:50 AM
When i was at my previous club..we had the RVBA coaching panel come out to us...this exact question was asked to Arnold O'brien...his response was that you only really concentrate when your on the mat...so applying that ,say 15 secs x 2 x 25 ends =650 seconds or 10mins 50 secs out of a game...i think it's near impossible to be concentrating for the whole game :grin:

jabbathehut
02-02-2008, 10:40 PM
i think the best way too look at it is that there is no sensible or logicall argument that can be applied to 99 per cent of bowlers that implies being UNFIT or as prev stated under the influence help any player perform better than some one who is fit and sober.. people might say oh i drink ever game or im fat but im but good, imagine if this incumberance wasnt part of your game, how much better would you be! By the way there are many logical reasons as to why menasl and physicall fitness would enhance ones performance, unfortuanltey i choose the route of the sloth